Monday's intriguing people
FIFA's president Sepp Blatter was cleared of corruption allegations.
May 30th, 2011

Monday's intriguing people

Sepp Blatter, Jack Warner and Mohamed bin Hammam

The three men are at the center of a corruption scandal involving FIFA, the federation responsible for organizing soccer's World Cup. While at least eight FIFA executives are being investigated for corruption, these three are important because they have roles in the election of FIFA's next president, which is scheduled for Wednesday. Also, they have ties to the controversial 2022 World Cup bid, awarded earlier this year to Qatar.

Bin Hammam, the world soccer governing body official, was suspended Sunday over allegations of corruption. Blatter, 75, has been FIFA's president for the past three terms. Blatter has been cleared of any wrongdoing and is seeking a fourth term. A longtime FIFA power broker from Trinidad and Tobago, Warner was placed on suspension. Click here for more on the scandal.

Jacob Zuma

South Africa's president will meet again with Libya's Moammar Gadhafi on Monday as part of his continued effort to stop the war in Libya. Zuma arrived today and first met with Libyan Prime Minister Baghdadi al Mahmoudi. This is Zuma’s second trip to Libya.

Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann

Is there room enough for two powerful conservative women to seek the Republican nomination in 2012? Politico's Ben Smith has argued that while the two women are allies, Palin must be pushing Bachmann's buttons. This past week, Bachmann suddenly announced that she will decide whether to seek the GOP nomination in June. Smith suggested that the decision may have been triggered by Palin's roaring entry into Washington this weekend on a Harley Davidson.

Palin has also announced a bus tour through various U.S. cities. During a conference call last week, Bachmann expressed admiration for Palin, but said, "I don't believe that any two candidates are interchangeable. I believe each one of us brings our own unique skill set into this race."

Post by:
Filed under: Libya • Most Intriguing People • Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. Cesar in a Onesey

I'm chock full of chorizo and ready to hit it.

May 30, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Cesar

I cant believe I ate the whole chorizo.

May 30, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Kevin Lough

Hey Cesar... ;)

May 30, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Pablum Pammy

There may be *room* for SP and MB on the ballot, but neither of them will be *elected*, or even get the nomination.

May 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Rudy

Hey Cesar. Looking good. :)

May 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Michael McMahon

As early as it is in the 2012 Presidential Campaign, all that can be said is that it will be an "interesting" campaign for the Repunlican Party, to say the least.

May 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Cesar

I have a lot of negative things to say, but I'm not going to say them. RUDY!

May 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Cesar Troll #227

This is where I counteract Cesar with something positive.

May 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. banasy

Can't sleep. You guys crack me up. Cesar, you're a rockstar.

May 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. leeintulsa

Lol.

May 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. kevin

im looking for anti disinfo agents. please call 405 388 8879

May 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. leeintulsa

im looking for anti disinfo agents. please call 405 388 8879

May 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. banasy

Somebody is trolling me already?
    What the hell would I be doing sleeping at 1:30?
    Although you are a rockstar, Real.

May 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Cesar of Anus

More like rock head.

May 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. fernace

Lol, all y'all crack me up! @ cesar in a onsey: I would love to see that! Question: do you wear a diaper with that getup? I've heard people get into that. As I always say, life is about Having Funnn!! More power to ya! On another note (F sharp), coruption is everywhere! Especially where people have control & power. Not surprised FIFA's having these problems! Now on to the fun stuff. Throw them women into the assorted nut can, is what I say, the rights contenders are very entertaining, especially when word jousting with eachother. Sad the Donald quit. He was so much fun! It will be interesting to see who the party picks to go against Obama. Have an excellent day er'body! S'long!

May 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply