Monday's intriguing people
FIFA's president Sepp Blatter was cleared of corruption allegations.
May 30th, 2011

Monday's intriguing people

Sepp Blatter, Jack Warner and Mohamed bin Hammam

The three men are at the center of a corruption scandal involving FIFA, the federation responsible for organizing soccer's World Cup. While at least eight FIFA executives are being investigated for corruption, these three are important because they have roles in the election of FIFA's next president, which is scheduled for Wednesday. Also, they have ties to the controversial 2022 World Cup bid, awarded earlier this year to Qatar.

Bin Hammam, the world soccer governing body official, was suspended Sunday over allegations of corruption. Blatter, 75, has been FIFA's president for the past three terms. Blatter has been cleared of any wrongdoing and is seeking a fourth term. A longtime FIFA power broker from Trinidad and Tobago, Warner was placed on suspension. Click here for more on the scandal.

Jacob Zuma

South Africa's president will meet again with Libya's Moammar Gadhafi on Monday as part of his continued effort to stop the war in Libya. Zuma arrived today and first met with Libyan Prime Minister Baghdadi al Mahmoudi. This is Zuma’s second trip to Libya.

Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann

Is there room enough for two powerful conservative women to seek the Republican nomination in 2012? Politico's Ben Smith has argued that while the two women are allies, Palin must be pushing Bachmann's buttons. This past week, Bachmann suddenly announced that she will decide whether to seek the GOP nomination in June. Smith suggested that the decision may have been triggered by Palin's roaring entry into Washington this weekend on a Harley Davidson.

Palin has also announced a bus tour through various U.S. cities. During a conference call last week, Bachmann expressed admiration for Palin, but said, "I don't believe that any two candidates are interchangeable. I believe each one of us brings our own unique skill set into this race."

Post by:
Filed under: Libya • Most Intriguing People • Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. Ellis

Its all about money

May 30, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Ellis

I am gay. This is something I share with the world. I love men. I don't know why I feel so guilty.

May 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Ellis

Sure I will allow him to insert either end of my digestive system even when I'm so sore,but that's me.

May 30, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ellis

There is something about a man in uniform who is clean cut. I just go wild with passion. I'm soooooo gay. Am I wrong? If so why?

May 30, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Troll Busters

We love being gay. Cesar is our gay leader.

May 30, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Troll Busters

Our spokesman is gay Joey. He is an expert at swallowing wieners.

May 30, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Iamrightyouarewrong

Cesar Cesar Cesar

May 30, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Iamrightyouarewrong

Hail Cesar our gay leader.

May 30, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Cesar

I am the source of all gayness in the world.

May 30, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Iamrightyouarewrong

Cesar I will still marry you today. My love for you grows as does my purple headed heat seeking moisture missle does everytime I read your comments.

May 30, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. 1608

dik tracers. You can't live with them, can't live with them.

May 30, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Cesar

Hey CNN, I'm not gay and I don't have herpes. My mother is not gay. What's up with that? Some clown keeps posting stuff. I'm a respectable blogger. I won't lower myself to his standard and go to the gutter. And I don't wear a onesie either. What's up with that.

May 30, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Tim

Jacassio's!

May 30, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Cesar

I'm a respectable blogger like Joey and banasy. What's this about gay and me wearing an onesie? Come on CNN, help me out, please.

May 30, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Cesar

To real Cesar: I am sorry I wrote bad stuff about you. You see, I'm a sick individual. I am also dumb and stupid. One can't fix dumb and stupid. I will not post in my name either. I will use many names including yours. Please forgive me. I am stupid.

May 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply