Unborn child has Facebook profile
"I am growing strong and waiting to get out of my mom's belly," fetus Marriah Greene says on her Facebook profile.
May 31st, 2011

Unborn child has Facebook profile

Unborn baby Marriah Greene has a lot to say, at least according to her Facebook profile.

The child attends Tummy University, enjoys soccer and swimming and talks in first person. And her friends talk back to her– in baby-speak, naturally.

Of course, it’s really her mother, Ellie Greene of Whitehouse, Texas, updating the page, but the fetus already has more than 260 friends.

When Ellie and her husband, Matt, decided it was time to announce their pregnancy, they wanted a quick, inclusive method, and what’s faster than Facebook to spread exciting news?

“Within a day she had over 100 friends,” Ellie said, according to affiliate KLTV.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2011/05/31/dnt.unborn.baby.facebook.cnn"%5D

Friends quickly responded to updates about Marriah. They give advice, make jokes and compliment her beauty in the ultrasound photos.

“We wanted to keep the page going, so she could go back and look at it,” Ellie said, giving her daughter the opportunity to see how many people adored her before she was even born.

The parents plan to continue updating the page, with her birth story coming soon. After all, “The word in the belly is there's a lot more to see.”

Post by:
Filed under: Facebook • Technology • Texas
  1. 867192

Censorship....on my! CNN took my post down and it said the same thing as JBudsen" Did we not forget there's a war going on, tornadoes just devastated several US cities, floods, families lives turned upside down." And What about protecting Kids ???

June 1, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Emilio Esteves

shut up.

June 1, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • teresa, snOhio

you are being a tad petty. A couple is experiencing the most wonderful event in THEIR lives and you want to squash their joy. not nice. In the pic there is a mom, a dad, and a baby. Do you ever watch maury, judge judy, judge joe, judge pirro....etc.... do you ever get tired of hearing the terms "baby mama, baby daddy"? This is a great stamp of approval for a married couple having a kid. lighten up- a baby is coming !

June 1, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • RJ

good point. the news should really ONLY be about gloom and doom. who wants to read something that MIGHT distract us from the cruel reality that is the world we live in... don't forget about the Apocalypse next year!

June 1, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • magnus

LMAO, you are an idiot. There is plenty of gloom news. Go troll there.

June 1, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Louis

Its not censorship. You posted something that goes against the terms and conditions that you agreed to.

June 1, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Chuck

Get a life!

June 1, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • musings

Chuck, I think you fail to understand that most pregnant women are already obsessed with their unborn babies. Perhaps putting words into their mouths is going a bit far, but I have a whole baby album written by my mother when I was under one year old, proclaiming me a fan of the then-DC baseball team, the Washington Senators (aka Nats). Apparently I was positively rabid for them, cheering like crazy for every home run. Or maybe I was reacting to my dad listening to the radio. Today, my mind is a total blank for that interlude in my life. They also claim I had several crushes on local boys of a similar age. Unlike Facebook, which I suppose fades with time, I still have a "hard copy" of this.

June 1, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. Tony

I have to say I enjoy the childish remarks. I would have to say that they show our delaying to reach adulthood.

This facebook page was for the parents to share with their friends their pregnancy. It just grew to something larger.

June 1, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mack

Good parenting Ellie, give those pedophiles a head start.

June 1, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • teresa, snOhio

hey, mack, your comment says alot about whats going on in yer mind. clean it up.

June 1, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

Are you one of them? Common'!!! IT'S A FETUS!!!

June 1, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Al Bundy

Teresa, are you the mind police? Get outta' here!

June 1, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. joegonz

I have no issue with the parents doing this, although with my wife and I having lost a child at birth I couldn't see doing it. To each their own. I just don't understand why this is news. They can't be the only people doing this, and I hope this just a "modern pregnancy journal" and isn't the start of a lifetime of attention grabbing by the parents. Either way, it doesn't warrant national attention, IMHO.

June 1, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • teresa, snOhio

joe and wife: sorry for you incredible loss : ( I would never do something like that on internet either. But i believe the internet is part of the culture for the childbearing generation. one that will come back to haunt us all ; )

June 1, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Enoch

Really? These strangers "adore" her? Have we become that needy for attention that we are even now projecting it onto our unborn children?

June 1, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. Steve

Stop Facebook abuse.

June 1, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. UHhello

I am happy for the family but I feel this is a politically motivated action to draw attention to the abortion issue. May be it is me, but really why should anyone outside of their extended family really care? also, I know my wife and I didn't want to tell anyone until after the 3rd month because of possible complications, Do they want to share everything with the whole world? Do they think that by having 260 some friends on FB is expanding the joyous news? Something is rotten in Denmark I say. If not by the parents then possibly this is being used by activist church groups.

June 1, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Friend of Marriah

This story was not politically motivated by anything. The friends on the page are real friends, co-workers and family on 3 continents. The family on both sides are spread out across the world. The story was aired on a local station because it was cute. CNN just used it for filler. Since almost everyone involved work in healthcare, they know the risks. They are not accepting the tidal wave of friends this has generated, because the page was not really meant for them.

June 1, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • ToniBaloney

How dare these people do it differently that you would! The nerve!

June 1, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Al Bundy

Give me a break! There's nothing "cute" about a fetus! SICK!

June 1, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. L Vig

I've had a facebook page since I was born and I'm now 13 months, you don't see me in the news.

June 1, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Fiend of Marriah

But you can read and write very well. Obviously a result of loving parents who took the time to teach you 🙂 If you're from a small town, sometimes you get the attention of a local station, that it went national was a surprise for all. However, relatives and friends from our small family are being contacted and that is great. That so much slime came out of the woodwork, well, a sign of the times unfortunately. Good thing Marriah has strong network of Real Family and Real Friends to look after her. As it was originally intended. No political agenda at all, no touring bus, and no campaign plans. I'm a Grandma and I approve of this message. :-))

June 1, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. Al Bundy

Seriously, this is the DUMBEST "story" CNN has ever published! Who cares about some random kids' Facebook page? If you ask me, I hate when parents push pictures of their fetus' in my face! It's just gross. "TUMMY UNIVERSITY"? Jesus...has this woman lost her marbles? She's trying to be too cute with all this baby crap.

CNN! Stop putting out CRAP!!!! You have bigger stories to write about. ELIZABETH JOHNSON, do all these negative comments embarass you? I don't blame you really, I blame your Editor for allowing this to be front page news.

June 1, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • L Vig

If you think the fetus is gross, check out my page. I have a picture of the placenta.

June 1, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Al Bundy

That's hilarious! LOL!!!

June 1, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • mlc

Yeah, it was better to watch the hour long talk with Paris Hilton. Now that was news. Sheesh!

June 1, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Xinc

Age limit of 13!!! XD

June 1, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sarge

Abort it!

June 1, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey

"I can't believe it's not fetus!"
    "Baby."
    Fetus.
    "Baby,"
    Fetus.

June 1, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. koppa

While mom and pop are happily entertaining themselves and those 250 'friends' has anyone mentioned to them about the undesired rays from ultra sounds and a laptop their unborn is exposed to??? Or in Texas they do things differently anyway:)

June 1, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. Eric

Um, their story isn't so amazing...considering I created one for my unborn daughter way before they did. My daughter is now born, but her Facebook page was up in Feb. of this year. So this proud father wants to say, too bad they didn't think of it before I did.

June 1, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |