Unborn child has Facebook profile
"I am growing strong and waiting to get out of my mom's belly," fetus Marriah Greene says on her Facebook profile.
May 31st, 2011

Unborn child has Facebook profile

Unborn baby Marriah Greene has a lot to say, at least according to her Facebook profile.

The child attends Tummy University, enjoys soccer and swimming and talks in first person. And her friends talk back to her– in baby-speak, naturally.

Of course, it’s really her mother, Ellie Greene of Whitehouse, Texas, updating the page, but the fetus already has more than 260 friends.

When Ellie and her husband, Matt, decided it was time to announce their pregnancy, they wanted a quick, inclusive method, and what’s faster than Facebook to spread exciting news?

“Within a day she had over 100 friends,” Ellie said, according to affiliate KLTV.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2011/05/31/dnt.unborn.baby.facebook.cnn"%5D

Friends quickly responded to updates about Marriah. They give advice, make jokes and compliment her beauty in the ultrasound photos.

“We wanted to keep the page going, so she could go back and look at it,” Ellie said, giving her daughter the opportunity to see how many people adored her before she was even born.

The parents plan to continue updating the page, with her birth story coming soon. After all, “The word in the belly is there's a lot more to see.”

Post by:
Filed under: Facebook • Technology • Texas
  1. KDS154

While I agree with the overwhelming sentiment that this family is nuts, if people have an issue they can go to the Facebook profile and report it as it technically does not represent a real person (yet).

June 1, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

It is indeed already a real person. However, it doesn't meet Facebook's minimum age requirement of 13.

June 1, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Sherri

True – a fetus is not yet a person.

June 1, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

Facebook Explanation For Imbeciles...

The parents are of sufficient age to create a page on Facebook for their yet-to-be-born child (just like people make Facebook pages for all kinds things including businesses, heck, someone probably has a Facebook page for their pet already too). To complain to Facebook about their webpage is both an ignorant annoyance and a waste of time. And it causes your stupidity to shine for all the world to see (in case you might be worried about that silly sort of thing).

June 1, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • KDS154

@ Sigh – notice I said "if people have an issue" not that I had an issue... I could care less so please don't sling hateful insults... and actually business pages are considered "Like" pages... all corporations etc have them and if a Profile Page is found to be a business then it is removed... the same goes for Pet Pages unless you use the appropriate Facebook app (most of the time anyway, I have witnessed a few pet pages get flagged and disappear).

So please, have a little respect and don't randomly call people imbeciles when you don't know them and above all, READ the entire post before assuminng.

Thank you.

June 1, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Al Bundy

I suspect that "sigh" is a feminist. Saucer of milk, table two! Meow!

June 1, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

@Sherri – Afetus became a person at the moment of conception. Even doctors who carry out abortions know it. They won't tell people that because abortion is big business.
      Sperm > 23 pairs of Chromosomes + Ovum > 23 pairs of Chromosomes = 46 pairs.
      Moment of fertilization – 46 pairs divide by 2 = 23 pairs. [DNA]
      At THAT moment the colour of hair, colour of eyes, height, personality traits, predisposition to diseases etc etc are known. It is officially a person. Life is made up of stages. Fetus / new born / toddler /pre-teen / adolescent / adult / senior. Each stage is EQUALLY part of the life of a human.
      Please don't make ill informed statements without at least a smattering of scientific know-how. you just let yourself down. Sorry.

June 3, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jess C

I agree with other posters, though that fetus is appropriately the center of this couple's universe, no one outiside their personal sphere cares or really wants to see it. This stuff is a stretch even for family & friends. People bring these photos to work and most people tolerate it, but really prefer not to see them. it's personal. When the kid is born, they can show him/her off all they want. Also, keep your delivery videos to yourself!

June 1, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

You might want to try speaking purely for yourself. You immediately falsified your statement by saying "no one", because I am no relation to them and I found the picture very interesting, and it makes me happy for them. While I would never say "of course everyone wants to see this", I'm sure there are quite a few people who are indeed interested in seeing this little life.

June 1, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • CathyW

If no one cared, the page wouldn't have more than 200 "friends." Sorry you're either so small-minded or self-centered that you can't share in other people's excitement about additions to their family.

June 1, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Al Bundy

You broadside are crazy! Jesse C is right!

June 1, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Al Bundy

You broads are crazy! Jesse C is right!

June 1, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • kgriggs0207

I love babies. I even like looking at pictures of babies I have no relation to, but I do think Jess is right here. Some moms (a lot of them) do not know when to hold back. We may want to see the baby, but talk about your baby all the time, no. That's what mommy clubs are for. A FB page for an unborn baby = more attention for the parents.

June 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pretty

e.l Posted on For one thing unless they're pbisulhed you mean writers'.Only you can decide when, as it needs to fit round you and your members' schedules.

March 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CM

Holy narcissism batman!

June 1, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

It's called being a proud parent. I suspect your parents were similarly enamored with you. At least I hope they were. Holy child neglect, batman!

June 1, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. daddy54

if you would like to read about the wars and states that have been devastated, those articles are posted under the "world" and "us" links

June 1, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. gman21

Today's facebook PR, my fello reader morons.

June 1, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. MSgt Scott

@Magnus, who is the idiot? RJ was being sarcastic. Someone's joy brightens up the news a bit from all the gloom reporting. I wonder how they registered the fetus because facebook has an age limit for accounts. Will we see a follow up story where facebook deactivates the fetus account?

June 1, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. Darth Buffy

Right, so my kid can't have a FB page because she isn't 13 years old, and this fetus gets to have one???? Not cool.

June 1, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Beth

I know. I hate how FB picks and chooses who has to follow the rules. About three years ago I made a page for my cat to go with my blog about adopting shelter animals. The wall had all sorts of links to shelter webpages, resources, and stuff like that, and she had pretty many followers. FB recently deleted it because she is not a real person.

June 1, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Nubia

There's no limit for stupidity.

June 1, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

You are living PROOF

February 12, 2013 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ihopeiamwrong

I hate to sound negative, but it looks to me like the baby has signs of cleft lip and palate. There is a line on the baby's lip on the left side, and the nose is collapsed also on that side. I truly hope this is just a bad picture.

June 1, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Nubia

Good observation. Out of curiosity, if it s confirmed, can anything be done at this point? After birth?

June 1, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Ihopeiamwrong

Yes, it is one of the most common birth defects and can be corrected with surgery.

June 1, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Nubia

Thanks!

June 1, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Fiend of Marriah

That's not a defect, but a result of the limited depth of field on ultrasound. Note the distortion of the arms.

June 1, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

@friend of Marriah. You are right ! Note that she's pushing her mouth to one side with her hand. All I see is that she has the makings of a pretty little thing.
      @Ihopeiamwrong You are a piece of work and probably jealous of other people's joy. The negativity and cruelty of your comment has all the signs of emotional instability. How could you do that?

June 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. terry

These people are breaking the law. There are no facebook accounts allowed for kids under 13 years old.

June 1, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

breaking the law??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

June 1, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. joannie

Why is this news? Seriously CNN, why do you think this is news?

June 1, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

I agree. Who is interested in, or wants to see, someone's gross fetus?? That thing is disgusting, and the mommy and daddy are NUTS! That thing is not a person yet, and it's on facefook?
      How about CNN goes next to a chicken coop and does one of these bits on an EGG????
      This is just plain vile.

June 1, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

JOANNIE – Why did you follow it up? Most of us ignore news items that we don't find interesting. Instead of being negative try reading a good book; knit a sweater; make a sandwich. Easy isn't it?

June 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Linda

This child is as all children are a gift from God. I think this is cool, unique, a first to my knowledge. Good idea parents, others are jealous because they didn't think of it. Praying you have an easy delivery Mom and baby is healthy. You have your work cut out for you Dad, she (baby) already has you rapped around her little finger.

June 1, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

"Rapped"? As in "Wrapped", or as in rap music?
      FYI: If some poor woman gets "knocked up" and does not want to be, is it still a gift? A child is not any kind of gift. It is the union of a sperm and an egg, as in all mammals–dogs, deer, mice, squirrels, cows, etc. Those are not gifts either–just biology!

June 1, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

@Dogs rule,
      If by women being "knocked up" you mean get pregnant – they could always either say NO, refuse to sleep with men on the first date, or keep their clothes on.
      For you to equate human reproduction with the unthinking rutting of animals shows that you have the intelligence of a turnip.

June 5, 2011 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dycin83

This is not really any different than people having a FB page for their dog and putting status updates in first person. It's a way to connect with their FRIENDS. It's not any of my business. And if I don't want to hear about someone's dog, I don't send a friend request. If you think it's stupid, than don't participate. Lighten up, people.

June 1, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. dan

I just found out they want change and became liberals and are going to abort the baby.

June 1, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

Good for them! LOL

June 1, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jess2010Jess

Oh, come on and lighten up, everybody. These expectant parents are just using the technology du jour to do what every parent for millenia has done – be insanely excited about their new family addition. I'm sure the mothers-in-law are thrilled when the fetus posts on her wall, the co-workers are annoyed and slightly horrified. Which is just as it should be. New parents are new parents, and these two obviously love their baby. Aren't there worse things in the world to get upset about?

June 1, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |