Unborn child has Facebook profile
"I am growing strong and waiting to get out of my mom's belly," fetus Marriah Greene says on her Facebook profile.
May 31st, 2011

Unborn child has Facebook profile

Unborn baby Marriah Greene has a lot to say, at least according to her Facebook profile.

The child attends Tummy University, enjoys soccer and swimming and talks in first person. And her friends talk back to her– in baby-speak, naturally.

Of course, it’s really her mother, Ellie Greene of Whitehouse, Texas, updating the page, but the fetus already has more than 260 friends.

When Ellie and her husband, Matt, decided it was time to announce their pregnancy, they wanted a quick, inclusive method, and what’s faster than Facebook to spread exciting news?

“Within a day she had over 100 friends,” Ellie said, according to affiliate KLTV.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2011/05/31/dnt.unborn.baby.facebook.cnn"%5D

Friends quickly responded to updates about Marriah. They give advice, make jokes and compliment her beauty in the ultrasound photos.

“We wanted to keep the page going, so she could go back and look at it,” Ellie said, giving her daughter the opportunity to see how many people adored her before she was even born.

The parents plan to continue updating the page, with her birth story coming soon. After all, “The word in the belly is there's a lot more to see.”

Post by:
Filed under: Facebook • Technology • Texas
  1. 1

this violates FB's terms, page should be removed. cute idea but lets see how long it lasts now that it hit the news. i give it a week or less.

June 1, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • DumbAtheist

sure it does. I bet the pro-abortion group is up in arms over this. How dare that "blob of flesh" have a FB page.

June 1, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Phyllis

I totally agree 1. I saw this story on the local news and told my husband that you must 18 yrs old to have a fb page. This is proof that there are thousands of underage users on fb.

June 1, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • DumbAtheist

Maybe all of you FB experts can explain Justin Beiber's fan page then. It was started before he turned 18, I believe he is only 17 now. It depends on the type of page they ....they being the people over 18....started. It can be a fan page, a band page, etc.

June 1, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • LMARI

see people that have always a negative impact on anything that anyone does. these are the ones that should not be in a social network if you just dislike and have nothing good to say that comes out of your mouth. Don't be in any blog or anything that is social. UGLY is what your put out thats negative.

June 1, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiff

According to FB terms, you have to be over 13, not 18. Either way, a baby isn't over 13 and it's BS if she can make one for a freaking kid in her stomach, but not an eight year old. Personally, I wouldn't allow my kids to have Facebook pages anyway, but that's just me. If she wants to post as her baby, well good for that psycho.

June 1, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Phyllis

to LMARI, I didn't state anything negative, just the facts. There are fb rules and obivously there are fb users that are not obeying the rules. And, blogs are set up for anyone's opinion, whether you agree or disagree to what has been written. Telling people to not blog or be on social sites because you don't agree with them is pretty "negative" on your part......just say'n.

June 1, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

You only have to be 13 to have a FB page, not 18. However, it's against FB's terms to have a page with a name that is not your own. No fake names, no aliases, no pretending to be someone else, etc. They should have just made it a fan page rather than a personal page, though with all the pages for people's dogs and pets, I doubt FB will care. Aside from all that, I just find it lame and somewhat disturbing. Also pretty pretentious and obnoxious. Most of the people who friended the page probably just thought they'd be offending the parents of they declined. I would have had no such trouble with telling them I had no interest in friending their fetus.

June 1, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

Are you people for real??? The child didn't create the facebook page, the parents did!!! People create facebook pages for all sorts of things, not just for themselves, and their is nothing against facebook rules for doing so.

Of course, I assume that this is actually just a bunch of liberals playing dumb and trying to find any possible way to get their facebook page banned because they view it as anti-abortion. You liberals are just plain evil. Leave these proud parents alone you liberal nutters!

June 1, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Angry Hillbilly

Awesome job, just lump all liberals into your argument because clearly based on one discussion you know the political beliefs of everyone involved. I bet I can do that too. Your grammar and spelling abilities are close to that of a 5 year old ("and their is nothing against facebook rules for doing so.") and you have the intelligence and argumentative abilities of a narrow minded ape...I bet you're a Christian.

June 1, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Angry Hillbilly

Also, I bet you're a woman too.

June 1, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

Angry, your a bettr pearson then I if you never make a misteak and misstipe sumthing in an unemportent forooom. You are obviously an extremely close-minded liberal who enjoys insulting others while denying and ignoring personal faults. Your views are uneducated and derived from liberal, simple-minded group-think. I suspect I must have hurt your feelings by pointing out your stupidity in thinking that the parents' webpage was created by a fetus. I know many hillbillies, and you're a disgrace to them all. LOL.

June 1, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

@SIGH - It is against Facebook policy, as explained in the post above yours. Try reading it. if need be we can dumb it down to "Can't make a personal page for someone who is not you." and "No person under 13 can make a page." Pretty simple, huh? Then again, I'm a reader.

June 1, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiff

Funny how you attack "liberals" when most uneducated, poor, rednecks are Republicans. They can't tell you a single stance that the person they vote for takes, but they can tell you they're a Republican because Fox News said so! lol.

June 1, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

what does abortion have to do with thinking it's obnoxious and pretentious? I'm very pro-choice, and anti-abortion, yet those views have nothing to do with THINKING it's lame and KNOWING it violates FB policy. I don't think they should take it down, but I still think it's dumb and lame. It must suck having a brain that assumes everyone is either in Group A or Group B. If my world was really like that, I'd kill myself.

June 1, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

Man, I'm dumb. Is it too late to be aborted? I don't think I'm going to be doing anything worth while; someone should just snip open the back of my head and suck my brains out. Republicans for life!

June 1, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

Ian, if you could actually understand what you read, it says "without permission". Do you know they didn't get permission? Regardless, if you're not looking for a way to have their site banned, then why bother? I don't feel like they've done anything wrong, and as you rightly pointed out, many people have facebook accounts for their pets. If you pick on one site, you need to pick on them all. But, it's equally absurd to pick on any of them.

June 1, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiff

HAH!!! You dare to talk about republicans being rednecks??? Ever hear liberal democrats talk about how rich republicans and white collar republicans? Do you even understand that Democrats are "the party of the working people"? You know who they are, right? Blue-collar workers with low education and low paying jobs... Who do Democrats go bus in during voting? Poor, uneducated folk and psychotic homeless people... Give me a break. Democrats are about as dumb as they come.

June 1, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Angry

Huh, huh, huh.... I'm such an angry, dumb hillbilly! I figured out that I can use the name of any person I'm angry at and post stupid stuff and people will think I dune did it. I'm such a grownup moron!!

June 1, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

I understand it fine...."In addition, please keep in mind that Facebook accounts are for individual personal use. Accounts representing groups, families or couples are not allowed.Impersonating anyone or anything is not permitted." Like I said, they should have just made it a page rather than a profile. I can't even make a personal profile for my business, only a page.

June 1, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Derrrrrr

@Tiff - well that certainly explains every scholar, academic, and wealthy artist being a democrat, and every person at a Sarah Palin rally being a fat redneck in a "Who Farted?" and/or NASCAR t-shirt.

June 1, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

"Without permission" nullifies your argument. Are you simply jealous because you didn't know you could seek permission?

June 1, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Not sure where you get "without permission" from. It's nowhere in what i read. It does say "without permission" on creating a PAGE for someone or something other than yourself. Perhaps you don't understand the difference between a page and a profile. They are 2 different things. why would I be jealous??? Did my comments about finding this couple lame, pretentious, and obnoxious somehow indicate I want to do the same thing?

June 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sigh

You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.

June 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiff

The fact that you used MY name to post a comment back to me, rather than just putting "@Tiff" shows you aren't the brightest crayon in the box. The majority of "rich" Republicans are older people. College-educated, younger crowds are usually democrats. Not because we're all "for the poor people", but because we a) don't feel the need to rob them to get ahead, and b) we're pro-HUMAN rights. Your zygote is not of my concern and I couldn't care less what you do with it. Am I pro-choice? Yes. Am I pro-abortion? No. Am I pro-gay rights? HELL YES! You idiots should keep your opinions about other people's right to yourselves because it isn't any of your concern. This isn't a pro-life/pro-choice debate; this is an idiot who violated Facebook terms for her own pleasure. Make the baby a freaking fan page, not a Facebook page. If my neighbor's Labrador can't have a page then I don't think this baby needs one either.

June 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. A. Danner

One word: CREEPY

June 1, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. killallthewhiteman

Wonder how many stupid farmville request it has received

June 1, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tom

Another word: DISTURBING

June 1, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Gus

These people must be stopped.
    Oye.

June 1, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. Peter

Only have to be 13 to have Facebook

June 1, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. fbysea

One must be 13, not 18 to have a FB page

June 1, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. SteveGee

This is ridiculous! Most kids are too ugly to be seen on the outside, we surely do not want to see them at this point!

June 1, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. The Truth

They could not update people on the pregnancy with their own existing FB page? This is just narcissism, the unborn attends "Tummy University" and enjoys things? The so called "friends" are fueling this fantasy too. I feel sorry for the baby, with parents and "friends" like this she does not stand a chance in proper mental development.

June 1, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • GRS

Agreed...and how young will the child be when Mommy forces her into Child Beauty Pageants? The woman is need of psychiatric assistance.

June 1, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Friend of Marriah

Wow, you guys must be so smart. You can tell sooo much about the family from a 90 sec clip and a few paragraphs. Yep I'm am sure glad I'm not that judgmental, especially with so little information.

June 2, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Mew

Agreed. If they want to update folks on what's going on, that's what their own page is for. Parents who makes blogs and facebook pages for their kids like this annoy the hell out of me. They show they are insane, that the pregnancy has destroyed their brain's ability to be rational. Babies in general tend to do that. A normally intelligent person gets near a baby and suddenly they're blabbering random sounds and going "Who's da cutest widdle fing in da whole wide world? You are! Yes you are! Yes you are you adowable widdle baby a boobooboobooboobooboo."

When this child is old enough to see what her parents have done she will die of embarrassment that her parents were so pathetic. It would be like if our parents or our grandparents had written journals for their unborn kids, talking as the unborn child. When have you ever heard of that being done? Never? Gee, I wonder why.

June 2, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

@Mew and Truth'
      Parents love their daughter and want to give her concrete evidence of that love when she's older. That child will love it – you have no understanding of children.
      Both of you then proceed to make crass statements that you KNOW exactly how she will feel, how emotionally damaged she will be in later life and how she will be psychologically damaged!!!!!!!! Arrogant twerps!
      Score so far out of 100:-
      Evaluation: Parents and friends...............150 Truth and Mew......................... -75

June 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. John

A little goofy fun for the parents and their friends, but seriously, it's not news is it? It doesn't even fit the 'feel good story' type news as it really has nothing interesting to say. I can understand the friends/family etc 'friending' this, but others? What really is the excitement in seeing a mom (or dad) make up status updates? I might just go get a 'pet rock' and put it up and update/tweet/etc some nonsense.

Again, I understand the fun in it for friends/family.. I do.. but .. oy

June 1, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. LMARI

I feel sorry for this child when its born. When he sees how ugly the world could be and people. How can something so nice and natural be so offensive and ridiculous people can be. We live in 2011 get over it.

June 1, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

Well said LMARI. It's so good to read normal positive stuff. Your'e glass is half full; may it always be so. You'll never convince some of this pond life that it's good to be alive. Ignore them and they'll go away.

June 3, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rob Schaeffer

Get over it. I had a web page when my daughter was born and used it to share news and pictures with family and friends. Just like they are doing but before FB. If the parents concent to the page, I see no issue. Anyhow, some of you have way to much to complain about.

June 1, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

Great post Rob. Isn't it good to be normal ! Some of these posters are terminally miserable. Mind you – it must be difficult to have a clear, happy outlook when you share a pond with mud mixers.

June 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Phyllis

Okay, I stand corrected. You must be 13 and not 18 to be on fb. 🙂

June 1, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. bear

I think it shows the miracle of life for what it is. It is going to be hard for pro abortionists to say this is not "life".
    She looks grown up for crying out loud.

June 1, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • The Featured Unborn Fetus

Biologically, I am alive but I have no consciousness nor any semblence of sentience – go away and leave me alone

June 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Friend of Marriah

"I have no consciousness nor any semblence of sentience", really? By what standard would say that. Most EEG evidence would clearly disagree with your thinking on this.

June 2, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

Great post Bear. As for the Featured Unborn Fetus – SCIENCE has proven that at the baby's fetal stage of development [and it is part of the same development as the stage of newborn, toddler, teen, adolescent, adult ] he/she can feel pain, appreciate classical music and can even distinuish between a disagreement and a full blown angry argument. They did this by monitoring the baby's reactions.
      By misusing clever words like 'sentience' you just shot yourself in the ignorant foot. To post on here we appreciate facts – NOT showing off very limited knowledge.

June 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

I see that @featured unborn fetus has disappeared back into the woodwork. Wow you can't cope with proven science can you?

June 3, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |