Woman swept to death over Niagara Falls
The Horseshoe Falls is pictured during winter 2009.
June 1st, 2011

Woman swept to death over Niagara Falls

A woman was killed when she was swept over Niagara Falls, according to news reports.

The Maid of the Mist, the vessel that takes tourists to the foot of the falls in the Niagara River, dispatched a boat to help her, but she was dead when it reached her, according to the WIVB report.

The woman has not been identified, and her death is under investigation by the Niagara Parks police and Niagara Regional Police, according to a report in the Niagara Gazette. Foul play was not suspected, WIVB reported.

On Monday, two men in a small boat came within 700 feet of the brink of the falls before they were pulled to safety, CNN affiliate WGRZ-TV in Buffalo reported. The motor failed on the men's boat, and the current carried them toward the falls before rescuers were able to hook the craft with a rescue line, according to the report.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Niagara Falls
  1. no name

Ouch.

June 21, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bubbles

Why are we talking about religion? I thought this was about that lake where the loch ness monster lives, and it ate some lady.

June 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. VIDEO OF THE DEATH

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqn74iFbWBo&w=640&h=390]

June 26, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Seriously?!

This is the first time I've ever browsed around the CNN site, and all I can say is, WOW. Just wow. Being a frequent and faithful CNN and HLN watcher, I really expected more intelligence in this community. Instead, I find what amounts to children in kindergarten arguing at recess! Seriously? Ask yourself; "will what is said here matter in 100 years?" Perhaps more importantly, will it matter in 100 minutes?

Relax, people.

June 28, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • smith

Yep.

June 29, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Devara

Not if you say it.

June 30, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rubes

this happened at 4:30 pm on tuesday...it's only 3:35 now.

June 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • pansy

there is still time to save her then......

June 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • jtd

it may be a different time zone

June 30, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • BloomingHere

Duh, the article was posted on Wednesday, JUNE 1ST! Pls check your data before you post worthless replies.

June 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dav

Many years ago I lived nearby in Canada. In the summers we rode our 10-speeds (old school type) down to the falls at least twice a week. I would watch people fishing and water skiing above the falls, and even though they were a mile upstream, I always wondered "what are they thinking?" Anyone who's done much boating has lost an engine. If you climb around on rocks near waters edge you might fall. It might as well be a giant wood chipper you're playing above.

June 29, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Steevo

I don't now what all you are debating about. I just think this is - as usual on this site nowadays - an extremely poorly written article. So, was the woman swimming? Was she in a boat? What does the second boating incident have to do with anything? Was she there intentionally? Did she fall in? CNN, please hire actual writers.

June 29, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
    • MOB

Perhaps you should learn what "under investigation means". As for your question about the boat I'll have to wait to you're a bit older to explain this part to you.

June 29, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Richard

The ingnorant comments by some are just to get a rise out of you. Makes them feel that they are in charge because they are controlling this line of comments. Don't fall prey to them, report the abuse and ignore their comments. They will either back down or keep trying to get an annoyed comment by anyone. Ignore them and they will become the ones upset and annoyed.

June 29, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gumboz1953

"Witnesses said the woman appeared to be alive as she approached the brink of the Horseshoe Falls about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, reported CNN affiliate WIVB-TV in Buffalo, New York."

IAre there zombies around? How else could she "approach the brink" of the Falls if she weren't alive at the time?

June 30, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

A lifeless body will float with the current toward the Falls, too.

June 30, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cindy

Once again people taking stupid chances! why in the world would she climb over the railing and sit on the edge" do people think their immortal or something.? .this is sad but quite stupid too!

August 15, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. me

Yet another Darwin Award winner

August 15, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hector

It find it interesting that our eseeemtd friends across the pond had such distasteful things to say about this book. I wonder if perhaps each group, while sharing a common name, has little else in common especially when making book selections. Library Mary, you posted some commonalities between the 2 book selections. I believe that the differences trump the similarities.First: In my opinion, good writers draw upon fact to enrich a story, which when done well adds dimension to the challenges the book's characters face. Factual regurgitation is best left to the non-fiction writer as fiction readers are usually interested in the story beyond the story. I found Black Diamonds to be too fact-laden and left me playing "editor" – selecting bits that I thought pertinent to the "story" part of the history. By contrast, Cathy Marie Buchanan's use of historical events added to the story of Tom and the lore of river watching. As a native of the Niagara area myself I found her description of the scenery, and portrayal of the characters surrounding this "beast of nature" to be both accurate and luring. The scathing comments from our partner book club lead me to wonder what the members would think of our Canadian greats – Margaret Atwood and Alice Munroe and others.

March 12, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |