Overheard on CNN.com: Oh boy, a new scandal!
June 2nd, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Oh boy, a new scandal!

Comment of the Day:

"That FOX and CNN are making so much of this is the obscenity. A picture of gray undies with a bulge? Please, I see more revealing images on Saturday morning cartoons. This country must be the laughingstock of the developed world. So puritanical and uptight. Get a life!!"–Jambo

Congressman says he did not post lewd photo on Twitter

U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, pictured, D-New York, told CNN that he did not post a lewd photo apparently sent to a young woman from his Twitter account. Did he recognize himself or his underwear in the picture? He would not say.

Many CNN.com readers said the story was embarrassingly unimportant. Mascon, a Canadian, said, "I am always laughing at the reactions of the Americans, but this one really takes the cake. If his name was not Weiner it would never been in the news. I find nothing lewd about the picture. To thinking people, Weiner has handled it well; and to the others...who gives a crap??"

Androidicus said, "What, it's against the law to send photos of yourself in your underwear now?" Shinethelite said, "I haven't seen the picture but heard it was no big thing."

Sending such a photo is not illegal, Crockah said, and added: "But when a political figure does it - it becomes news." ThinkCareful said, "If it is a picture of him, it calls his judgment into question. There is only one reason those photos exist–to send to people who ask 'Let me see yours.'"

camwyatt said, "It goes to the character of the people we choose to represent us. So, yes we should care. Would you invite this guy to dinner if you had your daughter home from college?" billofRight said, "So poor moral character and outright lying by your elected officials is not newsworthy unless they are Republican?"

Still, Weiner's lack of clarification left some readers speculating … and quoting a popular news comedian. sysprogram said, "Jon Stewart had a point. Every man does know what his own junk looks like. So how could the good Congressman say at first that he wasn't sure the picture was of him?" bigtimecynic said, "In the words of Jon Stewart, who was friends with Weiner in college: 'My recollection was that he was more Anthony and less Weiner.' Classic."

Plate icon to guide Americans to healthier eating

The food pyramid came down today, replaced by a plate graphic that the U.S. Department of Agriculture says Americans will better understand. Guest said, "I love it. It is so cute and the small kids and elderly can identify a lot more with this diagram. KUDOS!" But JaydedKing replied, "You are one of those weird, persistently happy people that scare me."

Many CNN.com readers questioned the relevance of the new design. drc said, "What a waste of time and money to come up with some new diagram for the average dumbed-down American who honestly couldn't care less. You cannot legislate or dictate common sense." meschif said, "Don't people have enough common sense to know what is and what isn't healthy? People need an actual diagram like this?"

BradDean said, "People got confused and thought they were suppose to look like pyramids." Ents said, "Have you looked at people lately? The average size of children is larger than the average IQ of their parents."

Some readers suggested other ways to encourage healthy eating. K3Citizen said, "I think plastering pictures of obese people on the packages of unhealthy products is the best way to get a thinner and healthier America."

Wzrd1 said, "Tax the hell out of fast food and junk food, sending that money to pay down the deficit. It'll be zero in no time, along with the obesity rate. It worked with tobacco products!"

WithReason said, "If people got penalized on their health insurance premiums for being fat, I think that would have a better chance at fixing the problem."

Others argued over whether dairy products should have been included in the new recommendations. mintymint said, "Humans are the only species who continue to drink milk after childhood. No other mammals drink milk after they have been weaned from the breast. Why is this?"

But sbast18 said, "Not true. My sister's cat drinks milk every day." And cartoguy asked, "You ever try dunking a cookie in water?"

Zuckerberg kills what he eats. Should you?

Chef Dan Barber spoke up for Mark Zuckerberg, who recently wrote friends that he would only eat meat that he himself had killed. Barber, who has won the James Beard award for best chef and co-owns a New York farm-to-table restaurant, said in an interview with CNN.com's Pat Wiedenkeller that Zuckerberg's goal is "an incontestably moral act."

Many CNN.com readers spoke up for hunting. danield33 said, "Kind of sad that it takes a billionaire to demonstrate what respectable sportsmen across this country have know for hundreds of years. We as humans are omnivores and if the folks that criticize meat eating understand anthropology, biology, genetics and physiology then they would never make the absurd comment, 'Haven't we evolved past that?' "

Stoprunning said, "It's hilarious that some people in America are shocked by the act of hunting. It's far more humane than buying a box of frozen burgers from Walmart." claiborne said, "I live in Louisiana and we have been killing our own food for a long time now. I'll have to tell all my hunting buddies that we're 'hipsters' now. This is just ridiculous."

UrthraFrnkln said, "It's ridiculous that modern people equate what humans have been doing for millenia with something that is now 'in vogue.' Factory farming and the obese humans they produce is the fad; they have only been around for a few decades."

BlackYowe said, "Food has become the new religion. I raise my own sheep for meat, but I take them to a little country butcher to get them processed. It still is a shock when I do it, but I feel better about eating the sheep I have cared for. Zuckerberg making this big deal out of killing his food is a bit strange. Around here it's common for people to hunt and eat whitetail deer. I guess urban folks must be full of guilt and self loathing or something."

e333111 said, "I grew up working on my uncle's farm. The whole place smelled like dung. Cow dung, chicken dung, dung fertilizer. Dung, dung, dung. I moved to the city to get away from all that. Now all my stupid neighbors want to start raising chickens and goats because it's the 'hip' thing. Just great."

Cestbear said, "We decided to raise a pig for meat because it was cheaper and better health-wise. I was responsible for the feeding & care of the pig. I grew quite attached to the pig. Until he attacked me. Damn fine pork chops."

istv said, "Just remember, never name your animals that you raise for food, unless it's Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.”

1. jim

Or maybe you'd like to go farther back,say Thomas Jefferson.

June 3, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. jim

Sorry should've been getting not get.

June 3, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

People of the United States of America and President Obama,
    1st,Mr.President,You need to TELL REP; Anthony Weiner to resign over this scandal,he is an embarrassment to the people in his district in N.Y.
    2nd,Why does your Administration keep doing the opposite of what makes total sense for the betterment of this country.I read an artical on CNN this week that your Administration wants to shut down or has shut down YUKA Mountain in Nevada and wants put a Nuclear Repository somewhere else.This country has spent almost 25 years and spent 800 billion dollars of Taxpayer money an now the Rocket Scientists in your Administration want to put it somewhere "Better",where?the moon?.Do you realize Nevada has had between 1955 and 1968 at least 300 above and below ground Nuclear Test Blasts.The Nevada Desert is contaiminated for the next 10,000 years,Wanting to throw away 800 Billion Dollars of Taxpayer Money by your administration is a major scandal!

June 3, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Frank Your welcome to store the nuclear waste in YOUR Back Yard- BUT NOT MINE!

June 3, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Bonnie

He should resign right after David Vitter.

June 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. D.Spaulding

Get over it America, get over it! How more puritanic can you be to follow the Weinersgate so closely. I can assure you that several of those right-wing folks on the Capital who are pointing their finger at such triviality are themselves hiding much more serious "bulges" they sure can be ashamed of. Believe me! My question is; why is America exposing it's own lewdness by pursuing the Weinersgate so closely? We have so much to get done than to spend the Country's time on Weiner. Spaulding

June 3, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray

You're absolutely correct!

June 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

I also agree! But had not heard of this being so public till this morning.. makes me think do political office holders believe they have the right to be stupid and it's not wrong? They are supposed to represent honesty and leadership, come on now I'm loosing some faith in politics...

June 7, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. Margaret Goodwin

I guess people do not care about the REAL issues in this country, Grow up I really am sick of hearing the Wiener stuff. I want to watch CNN and get good reporting I am not interested in who said what about this person and their underwear or how many mistresses they have. This country is going to hell in a hand basket, how shameful that we are wasting our time on garbage and not the REAL issues, the economy (thank you George) 2 wars, unemployment, millions with no health care families living on the streets. All this is making this country a joke. President Obama has been no no no
    to death. When are the GOP going to admit how much has been accomplished by a President with a real understanding of how the world really works. GET it together and act like you are WORKING FOR THE PEOPLE WE PAY YOUR SALARY ++++ not to mention the hand outs from health insurance companies, hospitals, drug companies to the tune of millions of dollars., I made it my business to check this out and if that money went to the gov. coffers we could get rid of the deficit and cover every man woman and child with health insurance . Congress and the Senate on both sides of the aisle must get it together . In Canada the high income people pay the highest taxes, my son and daughter in-law.along with other high income groups make it possible for all Canadian's to have health care, plus all the things that produce a decent society. It's time to stop the bickering and get to the job you are paid to do.

June 3, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

CNN has become the sister to The Enquirer in regards to this whole episode. The picture has been proven to have been placed in twitter through a now closed unsecured yfrog venerability by an unscrupulous hack. CNN has neglected to report any of that and still has it being a 'scandal'.
    CNN should be ashamed for allowing it's good will to be used for nefarious ends at the hand of the likes of known to be less than truthfull conservative hit man Brietbart.

June 5, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. LG

CNN ought to give Weiner his own show.

June 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cathy

Hello...why waste tax dollars investigating anything when someone can do wrong, lie and cheat...you're fired! Especially in a public occupation... do they think they're any better than others? There are so many people that don't lie & cheat! Cone on now!

June 7, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mike

I don't recall CNN taking a poll of weather David Vitter, Larry Craig, or John Ensign should resign.

June 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Annette

The Dems like to eat their own. Rep. Weiner is one of the only people to stand up for us little people. If I put myself in his place and I can. I've done some stupid things in my life time and it that time I was to afraid to tell the truth. It took alot of courage for him to come clean.Now to unemployment rate. If the Republican won't pass any bills that would help economy, and Big business won't invest here where are the jobs to come from. Unemployment rate is going up because the states are laying off people. What can the President do about that. To me it seems like the Republican and those Conserva Dems has been on a mission to bring this President down even if it means taking our country with him. They're turning us into a 3rd. world Nation.

June 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Carol

Bill Clinton got IMPEACHED and he kept his job, what is wrong with this country?

June 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Carol

The photo's he sent are not the issue, the issue is that he LIED. How can he expect to keep credibility with any aspect of his career? Was he tweeting during business hours or only at home behind his wife's back? From watching this all day, I'd say he is a looser that finally got caught. His wife is a fool if she stays with him or believes his many lies.

June 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |