Soldier cited for holding off up to 30 Taliban by himself
Acting Sgt. Dipprasad Pun of the Royal Gurkha Rifles displays his Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.
June 2nd, 2011

Soldier cited for holding off up to 30 Taliban by himself

Britain's newest hero is a Nepali.

Queen Elizabeth II on Wednesday awarded Britain's second-highest award for bravery, the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, to Acting Sgt. Dipprasad Pun of the Royal Gurkha Rifles.

While stationed as a lone sentry at a checkpoint in Afghanistan's Helmand province on September 17, Pun fended off an attack by up to 30 Taliban fighters.

"There were many Taliban around me," Pun said in an interview with British Forces News. "I thought they are definitely going to kill me. ... I thought before they kill me I have to kill some of them."

During the 15-minute battle, Pun fired more than 400 rounds of ammunition, detonated 17 grenades and a mine and even threw his gun tripod at a Taliban fighter climbing toward his position, according to British Forces News.

"He was just about to climb up there and I hit (him) with my tripod and he fell down again," Pun told British Forces News.

Pun's actions saved the lives of three fellow soldiers at the checkpoint and were the "bravest seen in his battalion over two hard tours in Afghanistan," according to his medal citation.

Pun was not wounded in the firefight.

“That he survived unscathed is simply incredible," his medal citation says. “Throughout Dip’s actions he was under almost constant intense fire. Dip’s courage and gallantry were simply astonishing."

Pun, 31, joined the British military in 2000 and also has served in Bosnia and Kosovo.

Like other Gurkhas, Pun is from Nepal. The Gurkhas were incorporated into British forces after their fighting skill impressed the opposition British during the Nepal Wars of 1814 to 1816. As part of the peace treaty ending that conflict, Gurkhas were admitted into East India Company's army and then into the British military.

Gurkhas recruited solely in Nepal remain Nepalese citizens during their service. Gurkha unit officers are British.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • Nepal • Queen Elizabeth II • United Kingdom • World
  1. fat joey

lone sentry...shows you how stupid and arrogant brits are

June 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elaine Connelly

Fat Joey:

Your name says it all. Why on earth are you calling the British stupid. You are stupid and you are a complete loser, and idiot also.

June 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

You certainly are one dumb, fat, craphound.

June 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

Well obviously fat joey, this guy has shown that if you are in the British army it only needs 1 of you to fight off 30 Taliban.

June 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TC

Now this guy does not look like a stealey eyed combat man. He probably fooled the Taliban he was some kind of pushover. Don't screw with a Gurka. If I was half the man he was I'd be five times who I am now, maybe even more.

June 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. fat joey

What about demoting the man who sent him out alone?

June 2, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. noirelion

Nepalese real live RAMBO!
    Threw his gun tripod at em! Hell yes! Whens the movie. Dip Pun is this former paratrooper from the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment 82nd Airborne Divsion- hero.
    Being a former airborne infantryman- I know from personal experience that the citation never tells the whole tale! They were coming out the wood works and he stood his post took every swinging DI** on! Bravo soldier. America salutes you.
    And why in hells name didnt he get the Victoria Cross? That was lame.

June 2, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tonlok

Victory cross is for 25 kills and calling in the tac nuke.

June 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

Mr. Taliban, I'd like you to meet Mr. Gurkha.

June 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. The King

Hey, I've dealt with those Gurkah's.. They are tough, mean, and all business. I'd put them up against anyone.

June 2, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sharky

Gurkhas are bad-a55 mo-fos! They are legendary fighters. Those talywhackers should have turned around and run as soon as they saw the kukri.

June 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • descarado

Talywhackers! 1000 bonus scrabble points!

June 2, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Elaine Connelly

My husband's father who served in Indonesia and Asia Theater in WW2, was a blood member of the Ghurka. We have the Ghurka dagger that was presented to him, and some photos of when he was over there. Sadly, he died in 1958 and never knew how much his sacrifice was honored. My mother-in-law never re-married after he died. She lived until 1988. I wish I would have known him, it would have been my honor to help him as he aged. Never got the chance, he was one heck of a man. His son is not too bad either. Have been with him for over 30 years. He is a carpenter by choice and a lot of the rich folks in our town look down on him, because he doesn't have a degree. He learned from a journeyman carpenter and learned the right way. Not like some of these young punks who think a college degree will get you whatever you want. Not want you earn, but what you want. PITY, ISN'T IT?

June 2, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sgt. Thapa

Drink some coffee please mem saab.

June 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • The King

You keep those kids off of your yard Mrs Connelly!

June 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • LRonaldHubbs

Thank you for that entirely relevant and meaningful contribution to the discussion.
      /sarcasm

June 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jrice

meanwhile here on earth... how about this guy's bravery.

June 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

What?

June 2, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

Wow...what an awesome individual. He must be a natural warrior.

June 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • LRonaldHubbs

He's a certified badass; that's what he is.

June 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kat

This is an amazing thing, for one man to do. The quote "I thought that, before they kill me, I must kill some of them" is simply stating that he's not just going to let them kill him. He's going to put up a fight. And not let them get away with killing him, killing his fellow three soldiers, and to let his family have to deal with his death. Yes I agree, that killing is a terrible thing. And it's not needed. But obviously some people in this world think its necessary. So either way, in this particular situation, someone was going to get killed. I personally believe that this man deserves more than the award he got. Pun, will always be my hero for what he did. Not just him, but all the men and women out there who are fighting for us.

June 2, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jon

the Asian John Basilone! Hell yea!

June 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The Selfish Gene ...Simmons

Forget the movie about Osama/SEALS now THIS I want to see!

June 2, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Geez

Here I thought, that only happens in the movies!

June 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kevin

Not suprised at all. The guy's a Gurkha....'nuff said.

June 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |