Soldier cited for holding off up to 30 Taliban by himself
Acting Sgt. Dipprasad Pun of the Royal Gurkha Rifles displays his Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.
June 2nd, 2011

Soldier cited for holding off up to 30 Taliban by himself

Britain's newest hero is a Nepali.

Queen Elizabeth II on Wednesday awarded Britain's second-highest award for bravery, the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, to Acting Sgt. Dipprasad Pun of the Royal Gurkha Rifles.

While stationed as a lone sentry at a checkpoint in Afghanistan's Helmand province on September 17, Pun fended off an attack by up to 30 Taliban fighters.

"There were many Taliban around me," Pun said in an interview with British Forces News. "I thought they are definitely going to kill me. ... I thought before they kill me I have to kill some of them."

During the 15-minute battle, Pun fired more than 400 rounds of ammunition, detonated 17 grenades and a mine and even threw his gun tripod at a Taliban fighter climbing toward his position, according to British Forces News.

"He was just about to climb up there and I hit (him) with my tripod and he fell down again," Pun told British Forces News.

Pun's actions saved the lives of three fellow soldiers at the checkpoint and were the "bravest seen in his battalion over two hard tours in Afghanistan," according to his medal citation.

Pun was not wounded in the firefight.

“That he survived unscathed is simply incredible," his medal citation says. “Throughout Dip’s actions he was under almost constant intense fire. Dip’s courage and gallantry were simply astonishing."

Pun, 31, joined the British military in 2000 and also has served in Bosnia and Kosovo.

Like other Gurkhas, Pun is from Nepal. The Gurkhas were incorporated into British forces after their fighting skill impressed the opposition British during the Nepal Wars of 1814 to 1816. As part of the peace treaty ending that conflict, Gurkhas were admitted into East India Company's army and then into the British military.

Gurkhas recruited solely in Nepal remain Nepalese citizens during their service. Gurkha unit officers are British.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • Nepal • Queen Elizabeth II • United Kingdom • World
  1. Seriously

So let me get this straight...dude yesterday got the Medal of Honor for throwing a hand grenade away from himself. This dude fended off 30 Taliban 400 Rounds expended and hurled a Tripod and got the 2nd Highest Award....

Kudos to both men...but I think the British Gurhka got jipped!!!

June 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Daniel

'Say hello to my little friend'...... Oh wait, that was from a movie.

June 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Erik

Great job holding off the Taliban although with 30 of them I want to know where they learned there marksmanship skills.

June 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. RuffRider

WHAT? Only 2nd Highest Award? Can someone slap that dightry old queen and tell her to walkup and smell her a$$... just hearing that she may have pooped in it!

June 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. some1

1 gurhka kills 30 attacking talibans w standard equipment vs 30 seals w sophisticated eqpt killing 1 aged taliban who hd trouble holding up his own dick (plus a few others).

June 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. BuddahMang

I am not saying every asian looks alike but this dude looks like Jet Li's little brother, I wouldn't be suprised if he pulled some ninja S**t on them when they rush him

June 2, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fred Wilson

I don't know, but, I heard the supply Sgt order his athletic supporter in extra large.

June 2, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sshres

ya true, all white people look the same to me.

June 2, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. IrishYank2

What do you expect? He's a Gurkha – they're one of the hardest units in the British military. Look up the history of the Gurkhas and you'll know that this man is merely carrying that fierce fighting discipline onward. Now if only they could truly unleash them on the Taliban, this war in Afghanistan would be over soon.

June 2, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Drew

They knows about Gurkhas over a Century but the wanted to create a Drama that We are fight SO HARD. After wasting trillions of $$ they are in mood of ending this conflict cuz They are Crocked and can't afford this war for any longer..2012 is the DEADLINE. Uncle Sam is Desperately negotiating with mullah Omer, You will see the Glory of Taliban soon after the end of this year. The Real matter is, Taliban Wants the army leave all weapons, and They want a Honorable withdrawal.

June 2, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • BuzzMann

Drew...And you would like the FBI to arrive at your house at what time?

June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

I am Afraid They will do much Effort for me, Since This war on Terror Ruined my country's economy, Made us a Prime Terrorist Target and I lost my Job. I would Appreciate Free Food from Prison ;). Be my guest FBI or whatever.

June 2, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • prayinthespirit

AWESOME! I love to hear stories of good guys prevailing.

June 2, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

Agree with you 100%. They were a force to reckon with way back to the First World War..We need more of them out there

June 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BuddahMang

And I am sick of p**sys like you who b**tch and moan but never thank the people that give you the right to do just that. COWARD!

June 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Hoofleau

Wishing congratulations to this young man. All the best to you with good things to come.

June 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. fanta

The ghurkas have always been at the front of British wars.....allI can say is those taliban must be lousy shots and must have death wishes !

June 2, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. demOIFvet

Great work

June 2, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. sam

are you jealous you loser? You statement tells what a pathetic loser you are in your life.

June 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Drew

No wonder he push back the Talibans Since Gurkhas has all the Training and fighting experience on mountain trains.. We waste Trillion of Good Tax money on this war with an Army who knows nothing about a War on Mountains.

June 2, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • BuzzMann

Dude ,if you are American than I am a purple flying monkey.

June 2, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrId

Yeah...not like we have the 10th Mountain Division....

June 3, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Crusatta

You are, my dear sir, a complete fool. First and foremost, haven't you ever heard of the 10th MOUNTAIN Division? No? Hmm... Moron. They don't do well simply because they are from a mountainous country, Sgt. Dipprasad is an outstandingly well-trained soldier from an elite and proud unit of traditionally excellent soldiers. That's like saying I must be intelligent because I grew up in Princeton.

Once again, I feel it must be stressed, you are an idiot. That is all, carry on.

June 3, 2011 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Higlander Gorkhali

I have been telling all along to Obama Administration all along – send some Gurkha or Gorkhali – that will take care of Afghanistan's Taliban. If there is no Gorkha – India would have been a Muslim country again. The Indians are clever people by they don't want to fight – they just money

June 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sgt. Thapa

Hey you are Sgt. Dipprasad right? I know your habit of checking people out. Did you buy the laptop yesterday?

June 2, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Drew

Why are you Spying ? DON'T ASK DON'T SAY ?

June 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • R. Downey Jr

When I read these posst your broken English and abashed statements left me the following two conclusions:

1. You’re a Taliban sympathizer with the essence of “simple Jack”.

2. If you’re proof of the education that we are paying for in Afghanistan, the “Glory” that you speak of is really ours.

I’m not some American who takes the simple garbs and lifestyle as a proof of intellect; that would be underestimating the enemy and showing my ignorance. Your statement on the other hand shows the only job that the Taliban would give you is connecting the initiator to the blasting cap after the IED has already been wired.

June 2, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sydney

Because according to that list, it hasn't happened in 56 years? That would be my guess.

June 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Morgan

First off, I'd like to point out that the "money" going into Afghanistan, hasn't been appropriated with troops. Secondly, a poor speaking person doesn't immediately mean that they're from Afghanistan at all, or that they are Taliban. Thirdly, the fact that people think we are making grounds is mute. You can't beat an enemy that isn't afraid to die. Funds will dry up, and people will pull out. Why doesn't anyone learn from the past?

What I'm replying to is the same sort of stereotypical American response to someone ELSE doing the work. Where was the effort from them, I say?

June 3, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Higlander Gorkhali

who're talking to??

June 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. xox

I read in some news few months ago where the the British soldiers intercepted the Taliban's radio signal. These Talibans were referring the code "Tigers" to the Gurkhas ....lol

June 2, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Drew

They are Referring Gurkhas as tigers But what about the Rest of them ? a few tigers in a bunch of Cowards Army ?

June 2, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • xox

@drew are you a taliban? DO you want me to send some Gurkhas there at your place?

June 2, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

Ummm I am not a Taliban, However u need to know that Gurkhas Can't handle Suicide bombs, Thats how Brute Talibans are. Whenever u find a cure of suicide bombers, give it to me, I am a victim, I will pay any price for that.

June 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |