June 3rd, 2011

Criminal case against Jack Kevorkian began with 1998 video

Jack Kevorkian, who died Friday at 83, began his crusade to give people the option of choosing to end their life rather than continuing to seek medical treatment in 1989.

During the next nine years, at least 130 people used Kevorkian’s "suicide machine" to take their own lives. With the push of a button, patients were able to give themselves a lethal dose of chemicals.

One patient, however, was unable to use the machine. Thomas Youk suffered from Lou Gehrig’s disease. Instead of just helping Youk, Kevorkian administered the drugs himself. Kevorkian also videotaped the procedure and sent the tape to CBS’ "60 Minutes."

In the recording, Kevorkian repeatedly asked Youk, “Tom, do you want to do this? Are you sure you want to go ahead?"

Youk says yes and nods his head. Kevorkian delivers the drugs and Youk soon died soon thereafter. “60 Minutes” aired Youk’s death.

Michigan prosecutors would later use the tape to help convict Kevorkian of second-degree murder in 1999. Kevorkian spent eight years in prison before being paroled in 2007.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. ellis

i really like hair pie

June 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Philip

@RUFFNUTT. how many revolvers did Tuco check-out at the gun store? And the Gatling gun didn't use percussion caps either.

June 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • RUFFNUTT

3... look at the gun close tho..

June 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RUFFNUTT

::::::::D ((o))
    OO

June 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ellis

wheres my sandwhich

June 4, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

In Panama.

June 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Jazzzzzzzz:
    I didn't mean that I have to play "every other day" until then. I meant that I play one day, skip a day, then play again.

June 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jazzzzzzz

Poop here poop there. Poop everywhere.

June 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ellis

I love chorizo. I'm gay. I just love a big black weiner. So goooooooood. Deep! Yes I do swallow. :)

June 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Cesar

I am gay. I eat chorizo. Sooooooo good. I like a black gay man.

June 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Bleh

Anyone looking at the guns in G,B, & U that closely is probably missing a lot of an excellent movie.

June 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • RUFFNUTT

well after you watch it like 10-20 times you tend to watch other things in teh background and stuff in the movie..

i dont know if they could ever remake an awesome movie like that anyways it's a classic..

if we did remake it who would star in it?

June 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

Waaaa. Waaaa I want my purple onesie now. Purple is my gay color. Waaaa. Waaaaa.

June 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Bleh

Oh, ok, RN, you love the movie. They'd better NOT remake the movie! That would be sacriligious!

June 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Anthony's Case Posts

I have a friend whose sister is mentally ill and she is totally focused on herself. If the house was on fire she would save herself. Casey has to be anger that anyone would doubt her. I can’t understand why she didn’t tell the truth and get out of jail. Tell the truth about what happened, take them to the body and service whatever amount of time for abuse of a corpes. She might even have gotten probation……but no she made up a story and finally after spending over a year in jail she says it was an accident? This just doesn’t make sense. Why would you sit one day in jail longer than you have too if it was an accident?

June 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • RUFFNUTT

eys of an angle with a heart of coal...

June 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RUFFNUTT

some movies just can't be touched...or remade...

i would like to see a remake of mad max tho....

June 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Anthony's Case Posts

She is just nasty white trash. Horse faced stupid, un-educated, and penny-less stealing others hard earned money. How about getting a job and paying your own way? Now that's a novel idea.

June 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply