Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity
Phillip and Nancy Garrido abducted Jaycee Dugard when she was 11 years old.
June 3rd, 2011

Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity

Jaycee Dugard vividly remembers the morning 20 years ago when she was kidnapped. A car crept up behind her as she walked to the bus stop for school.

"I didn't think it was weird at the time, but it kind of pulled in close to me," she told a grand jury in September 2010, according to redacted transcripts released today. In them she describes her encounters with her convicted captors Philip and Nancy Garrido.

She was asked for directions. In a flash, her life took a turn that would change her forever.

Dugard would go from an 11-year-old, blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde to a 29-year-old with two children - all while she was kept locked away in a backyard compound of sheds and tarps owned by Garrido. The couple both pleaded guilty to avoid a trial, where Dugard would have to publicly testify and describe the nearly two decades she spent in captivity. Philip Garrido was sentenced this week to 431 years in prison. His wife Nancy got 36 years for Dugard's kidnapping. Dugard’s description of the events comes from grand jury testimony in the case against the couple. It is the first time she Dugard has told in full detail what happened during her kidnapping.

Dugard told the grand jury about the exact moment her walk to school turned into 18 years of captivity.

"All of a sudden his hand shoots out and I feel tingly and like losing control, and I'm in the bushes, trying to go back, and somebody is dragging me," she said.

She felt as if her body wouldn't work - like she had no control, according to the transcripts. Then she found herself inside a car on the floorboard with someone putting pressure on her body.

"I could feel the pressure. I could feel legs moving," she said.

She remembers the sound of the car door slamming. She was offered a drink and then heard a man laughing.

"I can't believe we got away with it," she recalls the man, Philip Garrido, saying.

Covered with a blanket, hot, and nervous, Dugard remembers pleading with her captors to release her.

"I kept telling him that, you know, 'I don't know why you're doing this. If you're holding me for ransom, my family doesn't have a lot of money.' "

Dugard said at one point she "lost control of her bladder and then blacked out."

At one point he said they were going to walk - he would lead the way, and she would hold on to him and follow.

Led by Garrido, she walked with a blanket over her head and wearing only a towel and no shoes to the building where she was held.

That would only be the beginning of her torturous 18-year ordeal in the Antioch, California, compound.

Philip Garrido showed her his stun gun and how it worked, Dugard recalled. The sound was familiar. It was the same noise she heard while walking to school, perhaps a sign of how he helped grab her.

"When I didn't want to do something that he wanted me to do, he would - he never used it again, but he would turn it on and say something like, you know, 'You don't want it to happen again. You should be good.' "

It was an emotional brainwashing of sorts. Dugard was kept alone for most of the first year she was held captive by the couple - except for when she was being sexually assaulted.

Dugard remembers that she was forced once a week for three years to have sex with Philip Garrido until she was pregnant.

She remembers a brief reprieve from the torture when Philip Garrido disappeared for a month. That's when she spent more time with Garrido's wife.

"I mean, it was nice because I didn't have to have sex or runs or anything," Dugard said.

Nancy Garrido still kept her locked up, but Dugard said they would have dinner together and watch TV. Sometimes she would even tell Dugard "I'll take this run for you," meaning Nancy would have sex with her husband so Dugard didn't have to - at least when she could.

"Nancy said a lot that she was - she would take - would do it for me," Dugard told the grand jury.

After Dugard's first baby with Garrido was born, things started to change, she said.

"He said he was eventually going to stop having sex with me and that, you know, he's just really trying to change and he wants us all to be a family," Dugard recalls her male captor saying.

And even though they all slept in the same room after that, Dugard didn't know if the door was locked or where she was.

"I didn't know where to go," she said, referring to whether she ever had the chance to escape.

Her captors explained Philip Garrido had a sex problem and Dugard was the solution.

"He said that I was helping him and that, you know, he had a sex problem," Dugard said. "He got me so that he wouldn't have to do this to anybody else. So I was helping him."

So the assaults continued.

"He knew I was really scared about getting pregnant again. He said he just couldn't help himself, but he was really trying to stop," she said. "And then I got pregnant again, and that's the last time he had sex with me was when (the second baby) was conceived."

That second baby changed things, Dugard recalled. Even though she was held captive, she felt the Garridos grip loosen, even just a bit.

"He started a printing business and I started working there. And we had a lot more freedom outside," she said. "The kids could go play out there, and we had a pool."

"We just started acting like a family, and we would celebrate their birthdays together. Just trying to be normal, I guess."

Still, she remained scared most of the time. She was more than 160 miles from home, and her family had no idea where she was. It had been 18 years.

The district attorney asked her if she felt like she had spent all of those years living in captivity.

"I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t leave," she said. "I had the girls. I didn’t know where to go, what I would do for money or anything. I didn’t have anything."

Despite all of the fear, trauma and assaults, she told the grand jury she never once tried to escape.

“I was scared. I didn’t know what I would do," she said. "I was afraid of I guess what he would do."

In August 2009 when Garrido was spotted near the campus of the University of California - Berkeley, trying to hand out religious literature. When the incident was reported, Garrido was forced to go see his parole officer. He arrived with his wife, Dugard and Dugard's two children.

Dugard separated from her children. She lied, telling officials her name was Alissa Franzen and she was an out-of-town relative.

“I was scared," Dugard recalled. "I didn’t know what to say.”

Dugard said she remembers officials threatening to take her kids away from her and arrest her. They said they would find out who "she really was."

"I’m sorry. I just – I can’t. I don’t know what to do," she remembers telling them.

Then an officer came in and told her that they knew the truth about her and her abductors.

"Phillip confessed and said that he had taken you," she remembers an officer telling her.

"I started crying," Dugard said.

The officer told Dugard she could shed her false identity, that she had to tell them what her name really was.

"I said that I can’t because I hadn’t said my name in 18 years," Dugard said.

1. Anthony's Case Posts

I can’t believe this is being shown while the trial is going on. How in the world is this girl to get a fair trial, which she deserves with all this stuff being pumped out. I cannot believe that the jury had no knowledge of this case- I live in freaking California and I knew about this case from day one. There is no way that jury is unbiased. There’s no such thing as a fair trial with the media’s overblown, sensationalist reporting. This is NOT reality TV people. This is a girl’s life. If she did it, fine, she needs to be punished. I just do not know how in the world anyone can have never heard of this case. Does the jury live under a rock?

June 3, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie

wrong post! This is abt Jaycee Dugard NOT Casey Anthony.

June 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

When you read that they've been sentenced, you can fairly accurately assume the trial is over.

June 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • VR13

And if you read it more carefully, you'll realize there was no trial. The couple pleaded guilty, avoiding the trial and sparing the girl from testifying.

June 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • big John

Yea, I think you need to read the story.

June 3, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Boyette

You need to go back to learn some "reading for meaning" skills.

June 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

Ummm... Fail!

June 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Anthony's Case Posts

All i can say is lier lier pants on fire!! This girl is full of lies and deception. Hopefully everyone will see through her lies. When she was talking to her parents all you could really hear is how concerned she is for herself. She didn’t really mention her daughter that much. She is just frustrated she got caught and she is going down for this horrible crime she commited. She can come up with a million stories , but they all point right to her!!

June 3, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • trigtwit

That would be me.

June 3, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Katie

Of course she was scared; she wasn't taken as an adult, or even a teenager. She was a child when this happened to her, still depending fully on adults to take care of her. I feel terrible for her suffering at the hands of this man (and woman). I hope she's able to have some semblance of a "normal" life now.

June 3, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. anthonys case posts

Let me say it for you so you don't have to, casey anthony is nuts in the head(bonkers if you will)why people can't see through her lies I don't know. Her whole family is in on it. And what about the prosecutor why isn't he going after everyone else?

June 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. anthonys case posts

DAMN IT I was certain I was going to beat you to it this time.

June 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jim

Shut the HELL UP already.

June 3, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • catwoman

maybe you should take your own advice JERK!

June 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Anthony's Case Posts

I think he was in the process of trying to cover it up, but was not capable of doing it properly.

When there is a child missing, and your daughter’s car smells like a dead body, do you:

a) park it in the garage to air out?
    b) accidentally leave it in a bad part of town where it accidentally gets burned?
    c) Call the police immediately and report it?

As we know, he left the car in the garage to air out. I know if my car smells like a dead body, I would leave it outside, unless I did not want someone to SEE the car, like ummmm, the police.

June 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • susie

Hey smartie – wrong story ~ I'd think you'd figure that out by now...

June 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. suesark

@anthonyscase....you seem a little confused about who this story is about

June 3, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jannynet

I'm so impressed how the family and whichever advisers Jaycee had, managed to keep her out of the public eye and allow her time to regain some normalcy, dignity and a life. I guess I also have to give credit to the media for allowing her the time. I hope the public with not try to hound her and stigmatize her for 18 years of a life she had not control over. If Patricia Hearst, with all her money, and her short time in captivity, can be left alone Jaycee certainly deserves it en more. Stockholm syndrome is really powerful and Jaycee is a perfect example. She should be allowed to live normally.

June 3, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anthony's Case Posts

EVERYTIME I SEE HER SMILE IN COURT, OR ON HER ARREST TAPES, IT HAS GUILTY WRITTEN ALL OVER IT…….TOO BAD IM FROM MINNESOTA, OR ID BE IN ON THE RUSH TO GET A SEAT IN THAT COURTROOM, MY DAUGHTER WAS THE SAME AGE AS HERS, SHE JUST TURNED 6………MAKES ME SO ANGRY THAT SHE CAN LIE, LIE & LIE, AND SHOW NO FEELING OR REMORSE (FOR WHAT SHE DID, EVEN IF SHE DID’T KILL HER, YOU’D THINK SHE’D BE BAWLING HER EYES OUT FROM THE MEMORY OF IT ALL ) FOR HER PRECIOUS BABY GIRL…I KNOW THERES NO WAY I COULD SIT STONE FACED….DAY IN AND DAY OUT REGARDLESS OF HOW SHE DIED!!!!!!! I WOULDNT BE ABLE TO HOLD THE TEARS IN!!!

June 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

You are a moron, and an embarrassment to the State of Minnesota. Please, drive up to the boundary waters area, rent a canoe, and go drown yourself in the lakes up there. We do not want to hear any more of your idiotic ramblings.

June 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kit Hope

Why are all of you unable to tell the difference between Casey Anthony and Jaycee Dugard?

June 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anthony's Case Posts

This whole story is amazing to me. Its hard to believe this child died and the father (George) helped his daughter cover it up, being a former officer he should have known the mother would be the 1st and obvious suspect, so why not come out with the truth, like some1 said if it happened that way the coroner wld find water in the lungs, now the defense comes up with this she drowned story, no way to prove it 100% and u want a jury to just by that from som1 who just admited she lied all this time. I just hope none of this jury has any blood relation to any of the jurors on the OJ case, cause all those jurors were and still are 100% retarded. Burn in hell OJ. and the idiots who let you off

June 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • susie

Lets see if smarty posted BS on Anthonys story – you dummy!!

June 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ummm...Professor...

pause...take a breath...read the story above your posts...you are talking about a different story, Professor.

June 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. meee

Nobody cares about that anthony case it never happened

June 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Venice

...where do you live???? – on the moon.

June 3, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stephen Hawking knows more than you

New black hole discovered:

It's located between "Anthony's Case Post's" ears...

June 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jenn

Wth why r yall postin stuff about casey anthony? This is about dugard!

June 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |