Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity
Phillip and Nancy Garrido abducted Jaycee Dugard when she was 11 years old.
June 3rd, 2011

Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity

Jaycee Dugard vividly remembers the morning 20 years ago when she was kidnapped. A car crept up behind her as she walked to the bus stop for school.

"I didn't think it was weird at the time, but it kind of pulled in close to me," she told a grand jury in September 2010, according to redacted transcripts released today. In them she describes her encounters with her convicted captors Philip and Nancy Garrido.

She was asked for directions. In a flash, her life took a turn that would change her forever.

Dugard would go from an 11-year-old, blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde to a 29-year-old with two children - all while she was kept locked away in a backyard compound of sheds and tarps owned by Garrido. The couple both pleaded guilty to avoid a trial, where Dugard would have to publicly testify and describe the nearly two decades she spent in captivity. Philip Garrido was sentenced this week to 431 years in prison. His wife Nancy got 36 years for Dugard's kidnapping. Dugard’s description of the events comes from grand jury testimony in the case against the couple. It is the first time she Dugard has told in full detail what happened during her kidnapping.

Dugard told the grand jury about the exact moment her walk to school turned into 18 years of captivity.

"All of a sudden his hand shoots out and I feel tingly and like losing control, and I'm in the bushes, trying to go back, and somebody is dragging me," she said.

She felt as if her body wouldn't work - like she had no control, according to the transcripts. Then she found herself inside a car on the floorboard with someone putting pressure on her body.

"I could feel the pressure. I could feel legs moving," she said.

She remembers the sound of the car door slamming. She was offered a drink and then heard a man laughing.

"I can't believe we got away with it," she recalls the man, Philip Garrido, saying.

Covered with a blanket, hot, and nervous, Dugard remembers pleading with her captors to release her.

"I kept telling him that, you know, 'I don't know why you're doing this. If you're holding me for ransom, my family doesn't have a lot of money.' "

Dugard said at one point she "lost control of her bladder and then blacked out."

At one point he said they were going to walk - he would lead the way, and she would hold on to him and follow.

Led by Garrido, she walked with a blanket over her head and wearing only a towel and no shoes to the building where she was held.

That would only be the beginning of her torturous 18-year ordeal in the Antioch, California, compound.

Philip Garrido showed her his stun gun and how it worked, Dugard recalled. The sound was familiar. It was the same noise she heard while walking to school, perhaps a sign of how he helped grab her.

"When I didn't want to do something that he wanted me to do, he would - he never used it again, but he would turn it on and say something like, you know, 'You don't want it to happen again. You should be good.' "

It was an emotional brainwashing of sorts. Dugard was kept alone for most of the first year she was held captive by the couple - except for when she was being sexually assaulted.

Dugard remembers that she was forced once a week for three years to have sex with Philip Garrido until she was pregnant.

She remembers a brief reprieve from the torture when Philip Garrido disappeared for a month. That's when she spent more time with Garrido's wife.

"I mean, it was nice because I didn't have to have sex or runs or anything," Dugard said.

Nancy Garrido still kept her locked up, but Dugard said they would have dinner together and watch TV. Sometimes she would even tell Dugard "I'll take this run for you," meaning Nancy would have sex with her husband so Dugard didn't have to - at least when she could.

"Nancy said a lot that she was - she would take - would do it for me," Dugard told the grand jury.

After Dugard's first baby with Garrido was born, things started to change, she said.

"He said he was eventually going to stop having sex with me and that, you know, he's just really trying to change and he wants us all to be a family," Dugard recalls her male captor saying.

And even though they all slept in the same room after that, Dugard didn't know if the door was locked or where she was.

"I didn't know where to go," she said, referring to whether she ever had the chance to escape.

Her captors explained Philip Garrido had a sex problem and Dugard was the solution.

"He said that I was helping him and that, you know, he had a sex problem," Dugard said. "He got me so that he wouldn't have to do this to anybody else. So I was helping him."

So the assaults continued.

"He knew I was really scared about getting pregnant again. He said he just couldn't help himself, but he was really trying to stop," she said. "And then I got pregnant again, and that's the last time he had sex with me was when (the second baby) was conceived."

That second baby changed things, Dugard recalled. Even though she was held captive, she felt the Garridos grip loosen, even just a bit.

"He started a printing business and I started working there. And we had a lot more freedom outside," she said. "The kids could go play out there, and we had a pool."

"We just started acting like a family, and we would celebrate their birthdays together. Just trying to be normal, I guess."

Still, she remained scared most of the time. She was more than 160 miles from home, and her family had no idea where she was. It had been 18 years.

The district attorney asked her if she felt like she had spent all of those years living in captivity.

"I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t leave," she said. "I had the girls. I didn’t know where to go, what I would do for money or anything. I didn’t have anything."

Despite all of the fear, trauma and assaults, she told the grand jury she never once tried to escape.

“I was scared. I didn’t know what I would do," she said. "I was afraid of I guess what he would do."

In August 2009 when Garrido was spotted near the campus of the University of California - Berkeley, trying to hand out religious literature. When the incident was reported, Garrido was forced to go see his parole officer. He arrived with his wife, Dugard and Dugard's two children.

Dugard separated from her children. She lied, telling officials her name was Alissa Franzen and she was an out-of-town relative.

“I was scared," Dugard recalled. "I didn’t know what to say.”

Dugard said she remembers officials threatening to take her kids away from her and arrest her. They said they would find out who "she really was."

"I’m sorry. I just – I can’t. I don’t know what to do," she remembers telling them.

Then an officer came in and told her that they knew the truth about her and her abductors.

"Phillip confessed and said that he had taken you," she remembers an officer telling her.

"I started crying," Dugard said.

The officer told Dugard she could shed her false identity, that she had to tell them what her name really was.

"I said that I can’t because I hadn’t said my name in 18 years," Dugard said.

1. passion

I think that Elizabeth's picture should never be posted near the Garrido monsters in any article. Weird, but it just seems wrong.

June 8, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michele Dugard

To those of you who are compassionate and caring, I appreciate you. What. my niece went thru is something none of us can even imagine. She is an amazing person! She has survived and has come out shining! She is a miracle. To those who think otherwise, think about your 11 year old self, what would you have done? How would you have survived? Until you have walked in Jaycee's shoes your ignorant opinion doesn't matter.

June 10, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mesa

Thanks for sharing. None of us could even begin to understand what she went through. But most of hope she can take back her life and enjoy it. Ignore the morons out there. She deserves peace, respect, and happiness. Wishing her and her family the best. An update now and then would be appreciated.

June 12, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

Brainwashed and abused at such a tender age. We hope the best for her and healing from the past. Having a daughter almost 11 I can't imagine the horror the family went through not knowing where their daughter was. All the best to Jaycee and her daughters. Live life to the fullest.

June 16, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Michele, there are no word to give comfort for the abuse showed to your neice. I am glad she is home and is surrounded by her family...may God Bless her , her girls, and the rest of your family.

June 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • jross

Well put!

June 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ali

I have kids and grandkids and it literally makes me sick to my stomach and weak in the knees to think of anyone stunning them and forcing them to do things they don't want to do. I hate with a passion that these things are happening to our children all over the nation. I'm so glad she is alive to tell her story, that she survived, and I just pray for a long, peaceful life for her with her family. God bless her.

June 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dina

Michele, people that are responding and being ignorant are lost and confused. G

June 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raquel

Michelle Dugard. Please do not let Jaycee read the terrible comments left by ignorant people on here. She is a survivor and deserves much credit for her bravery for herself and for her kids. I pray that she is able to live the rest of her life as normal as she can. I know many things cannot be fully healed but time will heal many of her wounds. Nothing that happened to her is her fault and anyone with half a brain knows that. You guys continue to support her and just know that not everyone has bad things to say about this story. Nobody knows what its like to be 11yrs old and taken from their family. Jaycee does and I think she is way stronger than she gives herself credit for. Please remind her for us.

June 23, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Connie Cutruzzula

God Bless your niece, I am amazed that an 11 year old could survive such a horrible life and to raise two daughters. She seems like a wonderful young woman and tell her not to worry about what anyone says. She is a lillte hero and should be so proud of herself. I am 55 and don't think I could endure half of what this little angel went through. I pray that Jaycee and her girls have a wonderful life and am sure they will she has a great family behind her. With Love Connie Pgh. Pa.

June 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Michele, you've got a wonderful niece. I wish your family all the best, and a chance to heal from everything.

June 24, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hi

I guess I just wanted to say how grateful that her family is a good family to help her and had never given up faith. I think Jaycee handled it perfectly. She might have some scars (don't we all) but what is a little girl to do, but to do what she is told. A good kid who still grew up with a beautiful smile and the ability to love and be loved. I think she did just fine. I wish her and her family the best in everything.

June 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liberty Spinner

It is a miracle that she was able to come back to her own family. It is something everyone wishes for when they've got a missing child. I hope she continues to have a good future.

June 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robyn Clanton

I am so glad that Jaycee was found alive. And I wish her and her girls the best.

July 7, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark n Terri

Count on me buying a book...it is the least that many of us can do.

July 8, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Mclean Early Learning

Jaycee,

My heart cries for you, and all that you have gone through. No child, no person deserves to be stolen from their family. You are an amazing woman. your beautiful with a beautiful soul. May you find peace in your heart, and your mind to move forward and live a happy life with your daugthers, and mother who truly love you.
      God Bless you Jaycee.

July 13, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • LC

Jaycee is an inspiration to all Mother's out there. She's beautiful inside and out.

July 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom of Two Girls

What a brave young woman. She endured what most will never endure and came out of it with grace and maturity.

July 17, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. Crocker

Those two deserve to be taken out and shot. If I was the girl's father, they wouldn't have made it to trial....

June 11, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. B j

JC Sweet heart, you are a true survivor. Don't let any of these -– -– get under your skin. You are not responsiable for what happened to you. You and your family have a great life and god Bless.

June 16, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. shades

kill this man, immediately if not sooner

June 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. begoosed

Reading that exceprt had my head swimming with dizziness. I can't imagine the horror she wen t through as a child. Just think of all of the children abducted that go through this and don't live to tell their story! I can't stomach the thought. We should take heed from her rare message.

There are far too many people in the world today for these long drawn out legal court fiascos. Time to increase the penalty and expedite these clearly guilty cases through the system. No more letting people game the system at our expense. Too many bad people need to answer for their horrible climes against the innocent the first time. Send a clear message now that we will not stand for this in our legal system any longer!

June 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fmk

No words that anyone speaks will comfort you but know that my heart and im sure a lot of other people's heart go out too you, it's just a sick and twisted world when it comes down to it, sorry for what you and you're family went through, a 11 year old def did not deserve anything that did happen and as I stated, sorry

June 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mabel floyd

God bless her and all who love her.
    God bless her children–i pray that when they realize the way they were conceived and born they will be able to understand and not be scarred too badly.
    i hope she and her children are able to have a support system so they are able to let go of the past and form a future that uses their talent and contains peace and contentment.

July 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mabel floyd

God bless her and all who love her.
    AND NO I HAVE NOT SAID THIS BEFORE--JUST POST IT

July 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. amazing Jaycee

I think both Philip & Nancy Garrido should be put to death & very soon. Jaycee should not have had to endure this for so long. I worked for a division of Missing & Exploited Children (based in Florida) & I saw pictures & read stories of some of our missing children. In fact, I recall seeing picutres of Jaycee as well.

You're a surviver Jaycee – & I'm glad you're here today to tell your story.

Please just try to put all this behind you & enjoy your life.

July 6, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Debbie

God Bless Jaycee and her family. This is truly a miracle for an amazing woman. I just ordered her book, I wish them all much happiness. I don't know how anyone can find anything bad to say about her, what a weird world we live in. Truly weird.

July 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jamie

I prey that the dugards can live the rest of there life happily. It is a very sad story that brings tears to my eyes but with a very happy ending. I have 5 kids of my own and I couldn't imaging living one day not knowing where my kids are.... I wish the best for your whole family and i hope that the girrido's life ends slowly and painfully, god bless!!!!!!!!!!

July 11, 2011 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sue

Sentence for people like this sould be "immediate death" no jail time, electric chair.

December 26, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. PIP PIP

That is aweful!!!!!! That guy should die and go to H E double hockey stick.

March 14, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jenna

I am 15 and I can't imagine being locked away and abused like that. God bless Jaycee.

March 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |