Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity
Phillip and Nancy Garrido abducted Jaycee Dugard when she was 11 years old.
June 3rd, 2011

Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity

Jaycee Dugard vividly remembers the morning 20 years ago when she was kidnapped. A car crept up behind her as she walked to the bus stop for school.

"I didn't think it was weird at the time, but it kind of pulled in close to me," she told a grand jury in September 2010, according to redacted transcripts released today. In them she describes her encounters with her convicted captors Philip and Nancy Garrido.

She was asked for directions. In a flash, her life took a turn that would change her forever.

Dugard would go from an 11-year-old, blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde to a 29-year-old with two children - all while she was kept locked away in a backyard compound of sheds and tarps owned by Garrido. The couple both pleaded guilty to avoid a trial, where Dugard would have to publicly testify and describe the nearly two decades she spent in captivity. Philip Garrido was sentenced this week to 431 years in prison. His wife Nancy got 36 years for Dugard's kidnapping. Dugard’s description of the events comes from grand jury testimony in the case against the couple. It is the first time she Dugard has told in full detail what happened during her kidnapping.

Dugard told the grand jury about the exact moment her walk to school turned into 18 years of captivity.

"All of a sudden his hand shoots out and I feel tingly and like losing control, and I'm in the bushes, trying to go back, and somebody is dragging me," she said.

She felt as if her body wouldn't work - like she had no control, according to the transcripts. Then she found herself inside a car on the floorboard with someone putting pressure on her body.

"I could feel the pressure. I could feel legs moving," she said.

She remembers the sound of the car door slamming. She was offered a drink and then heard a man laughing.

"I can't believe we got away with it," she recalls the man, Philip Garrido, saying.

Covered with a blanket, hot, and nervous, Dugard remembers pleading with her captors to release her.

"I kept telling him that, you know, 'I don't know why you're doing this. If you're holding me for ransom, my family doesn't have a lot of money.' "

Dugard said at one point she "lost control of her bladder and then blacked out."

At one point he said they were going to walk - he would lead the way, and she would hold on to him and follow.

Led by Garrido, she walked with a blanket over her head and wearing only a towel and no shoes to the building where she was held.

That would only be the beginning of her torturous 18-year ordeal in the Antioch, California, compound.

Philip Garrido showed her his stun gun and how it worked, Dugard recalled. The sound was familiar. It was the same noise she heard while walking to school, perhaps a sign of how he helped grab her.

"When I didn't want to do something that he wanted me to do, he would - he never used it again, but he would turn it on and say something like, you know, 'You don't want it to happen again. You should be good.' "

It was an emotional brainwashing of sorts. Dugard was kept alone for most of the first year she was held captive by the couple - except for when she was being sexually assaulted.

Dugard remembers that she was forced once a week for three years to have sex with Philip Garrido until she was pregnant.

She remembers a brief reprieve from the torture when Philip Garrido disappeared for a month. That's when she spent more time with Garrido's wife.

"I mean, it was nice because I didn't have to have sex or runs or anything," Dugard said.

Nancy Garrido still kept her locked up, but Dugard said they would have dinner together and watch TV. Sometimes she would even tell Dugard "I'll take this run for you," meaning Nancy would have sex with her husband so Dugard didn't have to - at least when she could.

"Nancy said a lot that she was - she would take - would do it for me," Dugard told the grand jury.

After Dugard's first baby with Garrido was born, things started to change, she said.

"He said he was eventually going to stop having sex with me and that, you know, he's just really trying to change and he wants us all to be a family," Dugard recalls her male captor saying.

And even though they all slept in the same room after that, Dugard didn't know if the door was locked or where she was.

"I didn't know where to go," she said, referring to whether she ever had the chance to escape.

Her captors explained Philip Garrido had a sex problem and Dugard was the solution.

"He said that I was helping him and that, you know, he had a sex problem," Dugard said. "He got me so that he wouldn't have to do this to anybody else. So I was helping him."

So the assaults continued.

"He knew I was really scared about getting pregnant again. He said he just couldn't help himself, but he was really trying to stop," she said. "And then I got pregnant again, and that's the last time he had sex with me was when (the second baby) was conceived."

That second baby changed things, Dugard recalled. Even though she was held captive, she felt the Garridos grip loosen, even just a bit.

"He started a printing business and I started working there. And we had a lot more freedom outside," she said. "The kids could go play out there, and we had a pool."

"We just started acting like a family, and we would celebrate their birthdays together. Just trying to be normal, I guess."

Still, she remained scared most of the time. She was more than 160 miles from home, and her family had no idea where she was. It had been 18 years.

The district attorney asked her if she felt like she had spent all of those years living in captivity.

"I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t leave," she said. "I had the girls. I didn’t know where to go, what I would do for money or anything. I didn’t have anything."

Despite all of the fear, trauma and assaults, she told the grand jury she never once tried to escape.

“I was scared. I didn’t know what I would do," she said. "I was afraid of I guess what he would do."

In August 2009 when Garrido was spotted near the campus of the University of California - Berkeley, trying to hand out religious literature. When the incident was reported, Garrido was forced to go see his parole officer. He arrived with his wife, Dugard and Dugard's two children.

Dugard separated from her children. She lied, telling officials her name was Alissa Franzen and she was an out-of-town relative.

“I was scared," Dugard recalled. "I didn’t know what to say.”

Dugard said she remembers officials threatening to take her kids away from her and arrest her. They said they would find out who "she really was."

"I’m sorry. I just – I can’t. I don’t know what to do," she remembers telling them.

Then an officer came in and told her that they knew the truth about her and her abductors.

"Phillip confessed and said that he had taken you," she remembers an officer telling her.

"I started crying," Dugard said.

The officer told Dugard she could shed her false identity, that she had to tell them what her name really was.

"I said that I can’t because I hadn’t said my name in 18 years," Dugard said.

1. JAN

OMG PEOPLE – READ THIS PLEASE – THIS IS ABOUT JAYCEE DUGARD NOT CASEY ANTHONY !!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. justshutup

PLEASE shut up about that dumb *itch Casey, this is not the right forum for your post...MOVE ON TROLL!

June 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anthony's Case Posts

George is mysteriously silent all through this jail house conversation. It seems to me there has been a long time habit of lying in this family and he has just sat back silently while it has gone on. It strikes me that Casey has been lying to her parents for years and years, and even though they have been aware of it; they have allowed her to get away with it and that’s why she thinks she can convince the police and everyone else that she’s telling the truth.

June 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. trigtwit...America's favorite tard baby

Hey, I'm the retard here, not you. Just ask my mother Sarah.

June 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anthony's Case Posts

Naw I's from kintuky.

June 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Anthony's Case Posts

There is virtually no way this gal is going to get a “not guilty” verdict for this. Her lawyers know their best shot is to try to keep her off death row altogether, or “On” Death Row…..but out of the Death Chamber as long as possible.
    This is absolutely, bar one, the worst lawyering I’ve ever, ever, ever seen! Baez can’t put a proper question together to save his soul.

Does anyone besides me think that he may be actually shooting far down the road ,in the Appellate Courts, for a re=trial based on Ineffective Assistance of Council in this trial??? It would necessitate another trial and years and years more delay before eventual punishment. In a sick way, he would be doing his job.

What do Y’all think? Crazy….or Crazy like a fox???

June 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Anthony's Case Posts

We awl be prwd dwn ear of owr inbreedin.

June 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kristy

I feel that she did had somewhere to go, she had her family

June 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grundoon

You have got to be kidding me! She was completely under his control, physically and meantally. Kristy, you are beyond ignorant!

June 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

She didn't even know where she was. Fear and trauma can paralyze people.
      Ever hear of "Stockholm Syndrome"?
      Look it up.

June 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • TeddyN

Maybe the same will happen to you and lets see if you can get away. Probably would be dead before you got to the door

June 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amom

Children are so innocent and so naive. I stressed to my kids that my number one job in the whole world is knowing where my kids are and that they are safe. This way it would help them to know that if they were ever seperated from me that I would be ALWAYS looking for them. I told them that that was the number one rule that I learned in "Mom School". Another little trick you can do w/ small children is to teach them their telephone number by singing it to a little made up tune.

June 3, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • donimus

Nothing personal l can't see how that girl didn't try to escape over all those years. Just like that girl from Utah she didn't try either walking up and down the street with this clown. For those of you who said you were gonna talk to your children you not only talk but show them how to fight back – don't be passive, scratch, bite, cry, punch, curse be very disruptive – get in a car grab the steering wheel put your fingers in his eyes spit, kick whatever it takes you won' them to know you don't want to be there.

June 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • san

Someone brought up the phone song, I did that with my kids, we used to sing it in the car while they were in their car seats. They knew our number as toddlers, I emphasized that they needed to know it so we could always get a call and come get them if they got lost.

8-6-7-5-0-8-2
      8-6-7-5-0-8-2
      It's the number for your mommy and your daddy, too
      It's 8-6-7-5-0-8-2

They're teens now, but the thought of those days is very sweet. Educating your children helps keep them safe, moms and dads. Poor Jaycee, I hope she can have a normal life with all she's been through, and did those little girls ever get any health or dental care as babies and toddlers? Imagine her giving birth with no medical staff, what if something had gone wrong for her? Ugh. Those people deserve to be tased with their own stun gun. Vile.

June 3, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anthony's Case Posts

You shut up I is. I's luv realite tv it mi favrite ting ta watch.

June 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anthony's Case Posts

Why couldn’t she have put the child up for adoption when she realized her parental duties were eating into her party time? That should have been evident relatively early in Caylees life! She could have been placed with a family while still an infant/toddler & been alive to enjoy a normal & secure life, right now! But being a sociopath means Casey has Ownership issues, so of course, she owned Caylee! That’s why she could kill her, she Owned her! Casey needs to burn in Hell!! Prison is too good for her!

June 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anthony's Case Posts

I's dnt no I's kent think dat hard.

June 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anthony's Case Posts

I wesh ida pased 5th grad an goten mi hiscool degre.

June 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jinx

God damn it, Anthony's, I am going to report you again and again until you get the friggin idea....post it under the right thread! Freaking idiot!

June 3, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. suesark

Where's a moderator when you need one?

June 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anthony's Case Posts

Mabe its caus they remin mi so much of mi. Mmm luv eatin moon pi's an watchin realite tv thos mi favoritist things ta do.

June 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |