Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity
Phillip and Nancy Garrido abducted Jaycee Dugard when she was 11 years old.
June 3rd, 2011

Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity

Jaycee Dugard vividly remembers the morning 20 years ago when she was kidnapped. A car crept up behind her as she walked to the bus stop for school.

"I didn't think it was weird at the time, but it kind of pulled in close to me," she told a grand jury in September 2010, according to redacted transcripts released today. In them she describes her encounters with her convicted captors Philip and Nancy Garrido.

She was asked for directions. In a flash, her life took a turn that would change her forever.

Dugard would go from an 11-year-old, blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde to a 29-year-old with two children - all while she was kept locked away in a backyard compound of sheds and tarps owned by Garrido. The couple both pleaded guilty to avoid a trial, where Dugard would have to publicly testify and describe the nearly two decades she spent in captivity. Philip Garrido was sentenced this week to 431 years in prison. His wife Nancy got 36 years for Dugard's kidnapping. Dugard’s description of the events comes from grand jury testimony in the case against the couple. It is the first time she Dugard has told in full detail what happened during her kidnapping.

Dugard told the grand jury about the exact moment her walk to school turned into 18 years of captivity.

"All of a sudden his hand shoots out and I feel tingly and like losing control, and I'm in the bushes, trying to go back, and somebody is dragging me," she said.

She felt as if her body wouldn't work - like she had no control, according to the transcripts. Then she found herself inside a car on the floorboard with someone putting pressure on her body.

"I could feel the pressure. I could feel legs moving," she said.

She remembers the sound of the car door slamming. She was offered a drink and then heard a man laughing.

"I can't believe we got away with it," she recalls the man, Philip Garrido, saying.

Covered with a blanket, hot, and nervous, Dugard remembers pleading with her captors to release her.

"I kept telling him that, you know, 'I don't know why you're doing this. If you're holding me for ransom, my family doesn't have a lot of money.' "

Dugard said at one point she "lost control of her bladder and then blacked out."

At one point he said they were going to walk - he would lead the way, and she would hold on to him and follow.

Led by Garrido, she walked with a blanket over her head and wearing only a towel and no shoes to the building where she was held.

That would only be the beginning of her torturous 18-year ordeal in the Antioch, California, compound.

Philip Garrido showed her his stun gun and how it worked, Dugard recalled. The sound was familiar. It was the same noise she heard while walking to school, perhaps a sign of how he helped grab her.

"When I didn't want to do something that he wanted me to do, he would - he never used it again, but he would turn it on and say something like, you know, 'You don't want it to happen again. You should be good.' "

It was an emotional brainwashing of sorts. Dugard was kept alone for most of the first year she was held captive by the couple - except for when she was being sexually assaulted.

Dugard remembers that she was forced once a week for three years to have sex with Philip Garrido until she was pregnant.

She remembers a brief reprieve from the torture when Philip Garrido disappeared for a month. That's when she spent more time with Garrido's wife.

"I mean, it was nice because I didn't have to have sex or runs or anything," Dugard said.

Nancy Garrido still kept her locked up, but Dugard said they would have dinner together and watch TV. Sometimes she would even tell Dugard "I'll take this run for you," meaning Nancy would have sex with her husband so Dugard didn't have to - at least when she could.

"Nancy said a lot that she was - she would take - would do it for me," Dugard told the grand jury.

After Dugard's first baby with Garrido was born, things started to change, she said.

"He said he was eventually going to stop having sex with me and that, you know, he's just really trying to change and he wants us all to be a family," Dugard recalls her male captor saying.

And even though they all slept in the same room after that, Dugard didn't know if the door was locked or where she was.

"I didn't know where to go," she said, referring to whether she ever had the chance to escape.

Her captors explained Philip Garrido had a sex problem and Dugard was the solution.

"He said that I was helping him and that, you know, he had a sex problem," Dugard said. "He got me so that he wouldn't have to do this to anybody else. So I was helping him."

So the assaults continued.

"He knew I was really scared about getting pregnant again. He said he just couldn't help himself, but he was really trying to stop," she said. "And then I got pregnant again, and that's the last time he had sex with me was when (the second baby) was conceived."

That second baby changed things, Dugard recalled. Even though she was held captive, she felt the Garridos grip loosen, even just a bit.

"He started a printing business and I started working there. And we had a lot more freedom outside," she said. "The kids could go play out there, and we had a pool."

"We just started acting like a family, and we would celebrate their birthdays together. Just trying to be normal, I guess."

Still, she remained scared most of the time. She was more than 160 miles from home, and her family had no idea where she was. It had been 18 years.

The district attorney asked her if she felt like she had spent all of those years living in captivity.

"I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t leave," she said. "I had the girls. I didn’t know where to go, what I would do for money or anything. I didn’t have anything."

Despite all of the fear, trauma and assaults, she told the grand jury she never once tried to escape.

“I was scared. I didn’t know what I would do," she said. "I was afraid of I guess what he would do."

In August 2009 when Garrido was spotted near the campus of the University of California - Berkeley, trying to hand out religious literature. When the incident was reported, Garrido was forced to go see his parole officer. He arrived with his wife, Dugard and Dugard's two children.

Dugard separated from her children. She lied, telling officials her name was Alissa Franzen and she was an out-of-town relative.

“I was scared," Dugard recalled. "I didn’t know what to say.”

Dugard said she remembers officials threatening to take her kids away from her and arrest her. They said they would find out who "she really was."

"I’m sorry. I just – I can’t. I don’t know what to do," she remembers telling them.

Then an officer came in and told her that they knew the truth about her and her abductors.

"Phillip confessed and said that he had taken you," she remembers an officer telling her.

"I started crying," Dugard said.

The officer told Dugard she could shed her false identity, that she had to tell them what her name really was.

"I said that I can’t because I hadn’t said my name in 18 years," Dugard said.

1. HeIsGod

*sigh* White people and their perverted minds hurting children, even their own! Indeed the statistics was correct, of all the race in America, White people suffer mental problems and the reason for so many crimes committed by them. So sad!

June 3, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • YOU ARE

an idiot. black people and white people commit the same crimes, and suffer the same illnesses. You are proof of that.

June 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • cori

SIGH~ there are more black people in prison than any other race. What's up with that? DC murders ring a bell? those two were black. Think of all your black brothers and sisters that killed so many innocent people with your drive by shootings, bunch of cowards, can't fight with your fists anymore gotta gun people down instead, and take innocent lives too.

June 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • caitanni

*sigh* someone always has to throw race into everything. It can't just be a comment on a sad story where some sicko of ANY race did something like this. And if I am right there are crazies in every race...How about the black man who from Wisconsin who went to Chicago and killed 4 or 5 of his own family members? The kids he killed ranged in age from 19 to 3. Or how about the black lady who drove her van with her children in it into the Hudson river? Or the mexican guy who kidnapped and killed his girlfriends child....??? In every race you have sickos, child molesters, baby killers etc...And racist. Whenever a black man or woman can play the race card..it's the first thing you hear. And on that note, I wanna know WTH my WET(White Entertainment Television) is???

June 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • egd3738

WET (White Entertainment Television) is all of the other channels!!! Geez...I can't believe how people hide behind their racist mask when posting comments! Stupid idiots!

June 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • AENThomas

*golf clap*
      Excellent (and rarely made) point. Thank you!

June 4, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • What!/?

it's on every channel other than BET!

June 4, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Ummmm, your WET is everywhere! Why does it bother you that there is a television network that caters to the interests of black people? The rest of the channels on TV do not speak to the issues in the black community, nor do they display entertainment that black people are always interested in. The majority of what we see on TV (excluding BET) is geared towards other races, hence the channel BET! I mean really? Are we not suppose to have an outlet for our culture? Get over yourself thanks!

June 7, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. jim

Moron she was mentally and physically tortured.
    I doubt you would've lasted a week.

June 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jim

Also they probably threatened her that if she ran a way they would find her and kill her and her family.

June 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jim

Oh HOW NICE of them. I guess that makes them saints in your book then.

June 3, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jim

@heisgod, what in the world are you babbling about? crimes against children have been committed by all races in America.

June 3, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jinx

@Mike:
    My post was directed mainly to Miss Dugard.
    It is my wish that Miss Dugard begins to heal.
    The Garridos are away from her, and in prison.
    Prison will take care of the Garridos, never fear.
    Inmates despise child abusers, and prison justice will be served. Trust me. I would much rather have that than the bloodbath you desire.

June 3, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jinx

@HeIsGod:
    Does the name Wayne Williams mean anything to you?
    Mmmkay, then, shut up.

June 3, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AZLib

thank goodness she is alive and still young enough to hopefully recover some of her life. While we remember this sweet girl who lost her soul to a terrible person, take just a minute a rmember that less than a week a go an innocent man was shot 60 times in front of his wife and kids... the mem who did this will never go to jail, were not arrested, not charged and never will be. The man was home with his wife and son, a former marine who served in Iraq twice and a hard working joe. The PoLICE smashed through his door and within a second were shooting at him more so than you can imagne. We all want justice... All of us. God bless this little lady and wish her the best, may her capture die slow and painful and may the pollice officers in Tucson be charged for their terrible crime as well.

June 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzz

Green is the way to go.

June 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SarahPalin

I wish someone would lock me up!

June 3, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. GaPeach

Do these people posting listen to themselves! They are idiots or high on something...if they can't even post the right info under the subject. I hope Dugard and her children have an exceptional life and move on past what happened. Can't imagine how most 12 year olds would handle such a situation. She is very special!

June 3, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tjar

I can't begin to imagine the torture, anguish and mental washing this girl must have been subjected to. All I can say is that she is a survivor with strength and an unbelievable spirit. ... one that has been blessed by the hand of God and who stands as a powerful testimony of the human spirit and will. ...

As far as the idiot who did this.... life in prision is never enough for ruining so many lives. He should die a slow death with the same torture he decided to bestow on an innocent child. His judgement day will come and he will be punished 2 -fold ....

June 3, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • genta

you are forgetting his wife which somehow they are not making her look as guilty as him, what kinda freak is she?

June 3, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay

genta...based on what Jaycee herself says, his wife also suffered from a variation of mental problems akin to Stockholm Syndrome, such as battered wife syndrome. She felt no more free to escape than did Jaycee, but she *did* try to protect Jaycee.

June 4, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. cori

I'm with you caitanni

June 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bornamerican

Life in prison my a$$. He should be slowly tortured to death. Bleading heart justice system. On the good side, inmates will kill him.

June 3, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scott

I would like to have an hour alone with Philip. I am certain I could cure his issues. Piece of crap. Have fun is prison!

June 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dawn

I hope Jaycee Dugard will have a good life from now on. My heart goes out to her.

June 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |