Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity
Phillip and Nancy Garrido abducted Jaycee Dugard when she was 11 years old.
June 3rd, 2011

Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity

Jaycee Dugard vividly remembers the morning 20 years ago when she was kidnapped. A car crept up behind her as she walked to the bus stop for school.

"I didn't think it was weird at the time, but it kind of pulled in close to me," she told a grand jury in September 2010, according to redacted transcripts released today. In them she describes her encounters with her convicted captors Philip and Nancy Garrido.

She was asked for directions. In a flash, her life took a turn that would change her forever.

Dugard would go from an 11-year-old, blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde to a 29-year-old with two children - all while she was kept locked away in a backyard compound of sheds and tarps owned by Garrido. The couple both pleaded guilty to avoid a trial, where Dugard would have to publicly testify and describe the nearly two decades she spent in captivity. Philip Garrido was sentenced this week to 431 years in prison. His wife Nancy got 36 years for Dugard's kidnapping. Dugard’s description of the events comes from grand jury testimony in the case against the couple. It is the first time she Dugard has told in full detail what happened during her kidnapping.

Dugard told the grand jury about the exact moment her walk to school turned into 18 years of captivity.

"All of a sudden his hand shoots out and I feel tingly and like losing control, and I'm in the bushes, trying to go back, and somebody is dragging me," she said.

She felt as if her body wouldn't work - like she had no control, according to the transcripts. Then she found herself inside a car on the floorboard with someone putting pressure on her body.

"I could feel the pressure. I could feel legs moving," she said.

She remembers the sound of the car door slamming. She was offered a drink and then heard a man laughing.

"I can't believe we got away with it," she recalls the man, Philip Garrido, saying.

Covered with a blanket, hot, and nervous, Dugard remembers pleading with her captors to release her.

"I kept telling him that, you know, 'I don't know why you're doing this. If you're holding me for ransom, my family doesn't have a lot of money.' "

Dugard said at one point she "lost control of her bladder and then blacked out."

At one point he said they were going to walk - he would lead the way, and she would hold on to him and follow.

Led by Garrido, she walked with a blanket over her head and wearing only a towel and no shoes to the building where she was held.

That would only be the beginning of her torturous 18-year ordeal in the Antioch, California, compound.

Philip Garrido showed her his stun gun and how it worked, Dugard recalled. The sound was familiar. It was the same noise she heard while walking to school, perhaps a sign of how he helped grab her.

"When I didn't want to do something that he wanted me to do, he would - he never used it again, but he would turn it on and say something like, you know, 'You don't want it to happen again. You should be good.' "

It was an emotional brainwashing of sorts. Dugard was kept alone for most of the first year she was held captive by the couple - except for when she was being sexually assaulted.

Dugard remembers that she was forced once a week for three years to have sex with Philip Garrido until she was pregnant.

She remembers a brief reprieve from the torture when Philip Garrido disappeared for a month. That's when she spent more time with Garrido's wife.

"I mean, it was nice because I didn't have to have sex or runs or anything," Dugard said.

Nancy Garrido still kept her locked up, but Dugard said they would have dinner together and watch TV. Sometimes she would even tell Dugard "I'll take this run for you," meaning Nancy would have sex with her husband so Dugard didn't have to - at least when she could.

"Nancy said a lot that she was - she would take - would do it for me," Dugard told the grand jury.

After Dugard's first baby with Garrido was born, things started to change, she said.

"He said he was eventually going to stop having sex with me and that, you know, he's just really trying to change and he wants us all to be a family," Dugard recalls her male captor saying.

And even though they all slept in the same room after that, Dugard didn't know if the door was locked or where she was.

"I didn't know where to go," she said, referring to whether she ever had the chance to escape.

Her captors explained Philip Garrido had a sex problem and Dugard was the solution.

"He said that I was helping him and that, you know, he had a sex problem," Dugard said. "He got me so that he wouldn't have to do this to anybody else. So I was helping him."

So the assaults continued.

"He knew I was really scared about getting pregnant again. He said he just couldn't help himself, but he was really trying to stop," she said. "And then I got pregnant again, and that's the last time he had sex with me was when (the second baby) was conceived."

That second baby changed things, Dugard recalled. Even though she was held captive, she felt the Garridos grip loosen, even just a bit.

"He started a printing business and I started working there. And we had a lot more freedom outside," she said. "The kids could go play out there, and we had a pool."

"We just started acting like a family, and we would celebrate their birthdays together. Just trying to be normal, I guess."

Still, she remained scared most of the time. She was more than 160 miles from home, and her family had no idea where she was. It had been 18 years.

The district attorney asked her if she felt like she had spent all of those years living in captivity.

"I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t leave," she said. "I had the girls. I didn’t know where to go, what I would do for money or anything. I didn’t have anything."

Despite all of the fear, trauma and assaults, she told the grand jury she never once tried to escape.

“I was scared. I didn’t know what I would do," she said. "I was afraid of I guess what he would do."

In August 2009 when Garrido was spotted near the campus of the University of California - Berkeley, trying to hand out religious literature. When the incident was reported, Garrido was forced to go see his parole officer. He arrived with his wife, Dugard and Dugard's two children.

Dugard separated from her children. She lied, telling officials her name was Alissa Franzen and she was an out-of-town relative.

“I was scared," Dugard recalled. "I didn’t know what to say.”

Dugard said she remembers officials threatening to take her kids away from her and arrest her. They said they would find out who "she really was."

"I’m sorry. I just – I can’t. I don’t know what to do," she remembers telling them.

Then an officer came in and told her that they knew the truth about her and her abductors.

"Phillip confessed and said that he had taken you," she remembers an officer telling her.

"I started crying," Dugard said.

The officer told Dugard she could shed her false identity, that she had to tell them what her name really was.

"I said that I can’t because I hadn’t said my name in 18 years," Dugard said.

1. Jazzzz

I wear short shorts. That's how I catch a man.

June 3, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jim

@YOU ARE, well except for sickle cell anemia anyway, that's purely a black persons disease.

June 3, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • PattiK

Jim
      Sickle cell is a genetic disease and although the majority of people with sickle cell disease are of African or Caribbean descent, although it also affects those from Asia, the Middle East and the eastern Mediterranean so not a purely black person's disease.
      As this is supposed to be about Jaycee's evidence I just want to wish her and her family well and hope the media will leave them alone to work through all the confusion and anger they must feel.

June 3, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jay

Yeah there's getting to be too many black shows on tv for me.

June 3, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • aie34

what does that suppose to mean? too many black shows on tv? For years there were only 1 or 2 on tv. Now there are more and you tired of it. Give me a break. I like them a lot.

June 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Melissa

You know, I want to feel sorry for her, I really do. And I suppose I do a bit.

But frankly, 18 years, and she had her chance to escape. She went from a home where she was loved and doted on to a place where she was abused repeatedly, and she never once tried to escape. She knew that her family loved her and that they'd have done anything to help her. She knew it. Yet she did nothing. For 18 years, she did nothing. She even had access to a telephone and the internet and was helping him with his business. She could have called for help at ANY time. She would know about 911. She would know how to search for names and addresses.

But she did nothing.

Stockholm syndrome my a$ s. Thats an excuse for being so weak you just keep taking it over and over again.

June 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • maggieb

You should be ashamed for making those comments. When I was a child, at Catholic school, my teachers would come out with outrageous comments like "People who marry outside the Church are married in the eyes of the law but not in the eyes of God". I assumed my parents knew everything that was being said and that they agreed with it. Only many, many years later did they hear about this and ask me why I never asked. Children assume that what goes on in their lives is normal and even though she grew up and had independence, she never lost the feeling that these people were her family now and this was normal. And she never lost the fear of what he would do to her and, once she was a mother, to her children. I understand b/c I was outspoken and an independent thinker but even I failed to go home and tell my parents many things that went on in my schooling.

June 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troll Pest Control, Inc.

@ maggieb - At least you got the "B" part of your handle right. What kind of parent would send their kid to a Catholic school expecting anything less than Catholic faith teaching? Would you send your children to a Muslim school and be shocked to learn that they believe infidels are destined to Hell unless they convert? How about going to a public school and being upset about what they teach regarding securlarism? Your lame comparison between what these monsters did to this little girl / teenager / young woman, and what you experienced while being exposed to Catholic doctrines of faith, is an epic fail. Poor little Maggie May, such horrors you experienced at the hands of your Catholic school "captors". The lessons on not being a complete jack@$$ apparently didn't take. Bigot.

June 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tricia

She was a victim of a crime. She wasn't weak. Honestly, to suggest otherwise is just horrible.

June 3, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

Ya Melissa I can see you walked in her shoes-you have no clue!!!!!!!

June 3, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Doug

To all those who say she should escape, sorry, but this is called the Stockholm syndrome, this where the victim identifies with their captor and looks to them for support.. She did what she could, this is one very brave girl..

June 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BigTease

Can you imagine the numbers of other girls still hidden away from the world being tortured like this? So sad.

June 3, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bill

No punishment devised by man could ever come close to the Hell that Phillip Garrido put this girl through. All we can do is hope that God, or Karma, or Fate, or whatever you want to believe in, will have a special kind of punishment waiting for him when he leaves this earth.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him beaten on a daily basis, until the day he dies. Might be a nice warm up for what comes after!!

June 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. maryl

431 years is clearly not enough. This perpetrator deserves the death penalty. The wife gets a mere 36 years; I hope that she never sees the light of day. I am sickened by this crime. These are sick, twisted and truly evil predators. They do not deserve to breath air. Hopefully Jaycee and her daughters can heal and rise above the evil that infilitrated their young lives.

June 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kate

More and more people with no social skills, lacking empathy for other humans continue to post in settings where they can hide behind a fake name typing endlessly stupid comments like the trolls they are. Poor Jaycee was brainwashed and probably shut down emotionally and had a split personality of some kind to deal with her tragic reality. Seems to me that this coward is not unlike many other child rapists living in our midst. They are all hiding in plain site. Trust no one with your kids and definitely don't post their pics online on any social networking site or dating site! Just the facts!

June 3, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. excitingman

he needs to be tortured for 18 years

June 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. omgomg!!!

How serious are North Korea's hacking activities?

June 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lou50

they should both be executed. this is a fine indication of what the justice system thinks a victims life is really worth. he child hood was ruined to use the word loosely and she will struggle her whole life to obtain a normal existence. now really they need to be killed.

June 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mary

The thing that bothers me most about how long this went on..Is that he was on parole. And he still had the right to his privacy when it came to being searched..~! Why?
    I don't believe a person on parole should have that right.. it should have been within the rights of the probation officer and the police to do surprise searches..
    when you are on parole your sentence in essence isn't fulfilled.. And during that time you should still be considered paying for your crime.. And not have the same rights that the average citizen has.. He should have been watched more closely, and subjected to searches..

June 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luna

It has nothing to do with privacy and everything to do with lazy parole officers who couldn't get off their behinds and check the backyard. I hope they rot in h3ll too. Had they done their jobs this poor child/woman wouldn't have spent 18 years as the slave of the Garrido monsters.

June 3, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

He had a fence rigged across part of the back yard that made it look as if what was behind it was in somebody elses back yard. Figuring it out would have taken a very thorough look.

June 3, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Luna

There are not enough levels of h3ll for Garrido and his wife.

June 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. john

f*&k this world

June 3, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shaylorray

I'm sure I lost a part of my soul reading this story! I couldn't agree with you more!!!

June 3, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

yup. Not all of it, but these monsters most certainly deserve to be f*&kt to oblivion. I can't comprehend how they lived with/within themselves doing this!

June 3, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

seriously.

June 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

A second crime was committed when the kidnappers wife and accomplice only got 36 years of jail time.

June 3, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |