Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity
Phillip and Nancy Garrido abducted Jaycee Dugard when she was 11 years old.
June 3rd, 2011

Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity

Jaycee Dugard vividly remembers the morning 20 years ago when she was kidnapped. A car crept up behind her as she walked to the bus stop for school.

"I didn't think it was weird at the time, but it kind of pulled in close to me," she told a grand jury in September 2010, according to redacted transcripts released today. In them she describes her encounters with her convicted captors Philip and Nancy Garrido.

She was asked for directions. In a flash, her life took a turn that would change her forever.

Dugard would go from an 11-year-old, blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde to a 29-year-old with two children - all while she was kept locked away in a backyard compound of sheds and tarps owned by Garrido. The couple both pleaded guilty to avoid a trial, where Dugard would have to publicly testify and describe the nearly two decades she spent in captivity. Philip Garrido was sentenced this week to 431 years in prison. His wife Nancy got 36 years for Dugard's kidnapping. Dugard’s description of the events comes from grand jury testimony in the case against the couple. It is the first time she Dugard has told in full detail what happened during her kidnapping.

Dugard told the grand jury about the exact moment her walk to school turned into 18 years of captivity.

"All of a sudden his hand shoots out and I feel tingly and like losing control, and I'm in the bushes, trying to go back, and somebody is dragging me," she said.

She felt as if her body wouldn't work - like she had no control, according to the transcripts. Then she found herself inside a car on the floorboard with someone putting pressure on her body.

"I could feel the pressure. I could feel legs moving," she said.

She remembers the sound of the car door slamming. She was offered a drink and then heard a man laughing.

"I can't believe we got away with it," she recalls the man, Philip Garrido, saying.

Covered with a blanket, hot, and nervous, Dugard remembers pleading with her captors to release her.

"I kept telling him that, you know, 'I don't know why you're doing this. If you're holding me for ransom, my family doesn't have a lot of money.' "

Dugard said at one point she "lost control of her bladder and then blacked out."

At one point he said they were going to walk - he would lead the way, and she would hold on to him and follow.

Led by Garrido, she walked with a blanket over her head and wearing only a towel and no shoes to the building where she was held.

That would only be the beginning of her torturous 18-year ordeal in the Antioch, California, compound.

Philip Garrido showed her his stun gun and how it worked, Dugard recalled. The sound was familiar. It was the same noise she heard while walking to school, perhaps a sign of how he helped grab her.

"When I didn't want to do something that he wanted me to do, he would - he never used it again, but he would turn it on and say something like, you know, 'You don't want it to happen again. You should be good.' "

It was an emotional brainwashing of sorts. Dugard was kept alone for most of the first year she was held captive by the couple - except for when she was being sexually assaulted.

Dugard remembers that she was forced once a week for three years to have sex with Philip Garrido until she was pregnant.

She remembers a brief reprieve from the torture when Philip Garrido disappeared for a month. That's when she spent more time with Garrido's wife.

"I mean, it was nice because I didn't have to have sex or runs or anything," Dugard said.

Nancy Garrido still kept her locked up, but Dugard said they would have dinner together and watch TV. Sometimes she would even tell Dugard "I'll take this run for you," meaning Nancy would have sex with her husband so Dugard didn't have to - at least when she could.

"Nancy said a lot that she was - she would take - would do it for me," Dugard told the grand jury.

After Dugard's first baby with Garrido was born, things started to change, she said.

"He said he was eventually going to stop having sex with me and that, you know, he's just really trying to change and he wants us all to be a family," Dugard recalls her male captor saying.

And even though they all slept in the same room after that, Dugard didn't know if the door was locked or where she was.

"I didn't know where to go," she said, referring to whether she ever had the chance to escape.

Her captors explained Philip Garrido had a sex problem and Dugard was the solution.

"He said that I was helping him and that, you know, he had a sex problem," Dugard said. "He got me so that he wouldn't have to do this to anybody else. So I was helping him."

So the assaults continued.

"He knew I was really scared about getting pregnant again. He said he just couldn't help himself, but he was really trying to stop," she said. "And then I got pregnant again, and that's the last time he had sex with me was when (the second baby) was conceived."

That second baby changed things, Dugard recalled. Even though she was held captive, she felt the Garridos grip loosen, even just a bit.

"He started a printing business and I started working there. And we had a lot more freedom outside," she said. "The kids could go play out there, and we had a pool."

"We just started acting like a family, and we would celebrate their birthdays together. Just trying to be normal, I guess."

Still, she remained scared most of the time. She was more than 160 miles from home, and her family had no idea where she was. It had been 18 years.

The district attorney asked her if she felt like she had spent all of those years living in captivity.

"I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t leave," she said. "I had the girls. I didn’t know where to go, what I would do for money or anything. I didn’t have anything."

Despite all of the fear, trauma and assaults, she told the grand jury she never once tried to escape.

“I was scared. I didn’t know what I would do," she said. "I was afraid of I guess what he would do."

In August 2009 when Garrido was spotted near the campus of the University of California - Berkeley, trying to hand out religious literature. When the incident was reported, Garrido was forced to go see his parole officer. He arrived with his wife, Dugard and Dugard's two children.

Dugard separated from her children. She lied, telling officials her name was Alissa Franzen and she was an out-of-town relative.

“I was scared," Dugard recalled. "I didn’t know what to say.”

Dugard said she remembers officials threatening to take her kids away from her and arrest her. They said they would find out who "she really was."

"I’m sorry. I just – I can’t. I don’t know what to do," she remembers telling them.

Then an officer came in and told her that they knew the truth about her and her abductors.

"Phillip confessed and said that he had taken you," she remembers an officer telling her.

"I started crying," Dugard said.

The officer told Dugard she could shed her false identity, that she had to tell them what her name really was.

"I said that I can’t because I hadn’t said my name in 18 years," Dugard said.

1. Matic

Philip Garrido and his wife deserve to be placed not in jail for life but in a commercial meat grinder, and their meat fed to a large colony of rats.

June 3, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle Overboard

@Matic Please don't insult the rats with meat that isn't fit for their consumption. I dare say tossing it out and let the flies hatch maggots out of their hides would be insulting to the humble musca domestica.

June 3, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sue

OMG... such a ration of s_ _ t! Many of you are thinking of yourselves and/or race when this demonic couple abused this school girl!!! What an abomination!!! Only in your worst nightmares could one even faintly depict such a horrible crime against humanity! I agree with Daniel... even dogs have more compassion!!!

June 3, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. agonyfIips

Releasing the information of her abuse and publishing the name of the victim is essentially subjecting her to further humiliation.

I thought that there was a policy of not releasing the names of those SĂ©xual Abused, and I don't recall anywhere that the victim had given her explicit permission to allow media to print her name.

I don't think this is a care of the public's right to know out-ways the privacy rights of the victim.

June 3, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • agonyfIips

I don't think this is a case of where the public's right to know out-ways the privacy rights of the victim.

June 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

That generally only applies to juveniles.

June 3, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay

What a totally illogical suggestion..."As soon as she had been found, and it was discovered she was séxually abused, at that point the media should have stopped using her name."

Good grief! Do you think everyone would promptly forget who she was if the media stopped using her name? Or that she should suddenly be referred to as, say, "Victim X" and that would protect her? Gimme a break.

Oh, and apparently you're not away that once a case goes to trial, her name would become public record anyway.

None of this has nothing to do with a right to privacy or the public's right to know. It just has to do with common sense...or your apparent lack of same.

June 4, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • ladydi

Dude, she is writing a book, she doesn't want privacy, she wants publicity. Granted she deserves book sales, she has given up her life for this guy, but this sells books, which makes money, which helps her raise her girls and survive.

June 4, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. mark

thank You! i couldnt have said it better. Except i would add to offer the trigger to dugards mom and/or dad. And i would execute mrs garrido as well. May they both rot in jail! Maybe some inmate will do them in. I can only wish!

June 3, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Max

Can you imagine having two children with a monster like that? And did she have them in the house or in the hospital? How did all of that work? This is so disturbing, my heart goes out to Jaycee and her parents.

June 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Vryl

I think they made a mistake releasing the transcripts. The legal loop hole would be that these events happened when Jaycee Dugard was still a child.. therefore should have been kept sealed.

June 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay

The transcripts are a matter of public record. Plus sealing transcripts for minors only relates to the ACCUSED being a minor. Plus the crimes weren't committed just while Jaycee was a minor.

Whether or not you think records should be public for a certaincase, there's an incredibly important value to making court transcripts available as public records. It serves as a major safeguard against judicial and/or prosecutorial abuse and misconduct. Personally, I want to maintain our freedoms...and making it easy to hide what goes on at a trial is NOT a way to do that.

June 4, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Quincey9

Two words: wood chipper.

June 3, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Calvin Hobbes

Torture is illegal in the U.S. – no cruel and unusual punishment. Can we send the Garridos to some other country's prison for the rest of their lives where it isn't illegal?

June 3, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

send em to Guantanamo Bay

June 4, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisade

Yes, and during the air transport to a prison in another country would could push them both out of the air-plane. Just hope we don't hear of either one of these two getting "parole". I seriously doubt California learned anything out of this as far as monitoring parolees. I am so glad Jaycee is still alive and might have a chance at life in a state of relative freedom.

June 4, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

Jacyee is a moern day swe

June 4, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

this post was an OPPS, my S on the keyboard is sticking.

June 4, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. Amy

I remember it like it was yesterday. We drove by the street and i saw news cameras and i said to my mom "mom, whats going on, thats Jaycee's street?" once i found out my life changed forever. My mom never allowed me out of the house. I couldnt ride my bike down the street cause she was afraid i would be next. My mom was friends with her mom and would go over to her house to visit her and Terri was a mess as any mom would be. My mom wouldnt let me go with her cause she was afraid i would remind her too much of Jaycee. Finally one day she let me go with her and i hung out with her little sister while our moms talked. She took me to Jaycees room and showed me all of Jaycees favorite things and the statement that has stuck with me my whole life is "when Jaycee comes home"... That broke my heart in 2. I was 12 years old and had nothing to say to this little girl who believed her sister was on her way home.

Well I always believed she was alive. Any conversation that came up about it in the last 20 years i would say "no shes alive and i know it!" and pretty much everyone told me i was crazy....And then the day came that it was on the news that they thought Jaycee was found and ALIVE. I was at work and i got chills and called my mom who would never believe me when i said i thought she was alive. I basically broke down into tears. All those people called me and told me "Oh my god...you were right, shes alive" ...

Well long story short...I wish i could see her today and tell her i believed she was alive just like her mom did with her pink bows and missing posters she put out every year on the anniversary.

June 4, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay

I hope you've sent her and her mom letters telling her what you just wrote. Chances are good they'll actually both remember you and/or your mom and will appreciate the gesture.

June 4, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jazzzzzzzz

Jaycee is a modern day example of Job from the Bible who lost EVERYTHING and still praised God. Just think of how this little girl at the time whom I'm sure knew of Jesus... still made it through a horrifying ordeal and kept a reverent poster towards God. I say this because of the way she has conducted herself with such grace and pureness which is EXTREMELY rare to see in our society today. This could only be thru Gods grace. Gee I could only strive to be HALF the women she is. with a TEAR of humbleness I give you a heart felt hug back to the life you wished for all those years of suffering you went thru. Bless you and those beautiful children.

June 4, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

correction it is "Posture" not "poster"

June 4, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay

The only references to God that I recall are those twisted versions expressed by the monster who kidnapped and rapped her for years. For you to claim that she "knew of Jesus" and was 'a reverent poster towards God" simply because of the way she has conducted herself is nothing more than you making guesses...because it is certainly not based on anything Jaycee has said.

If your faith gives you comfort, I think that's great. But don't make up things about other people. That is *not* what God wants you to be doing.

June 4, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

@ Kay, I do see what your saying yet see this women as a modern day lesson to us all to strive to become MORE like Jesus" and less like US. You may not see this women as a heroic person who had to be with a Devil like being for the last 20 YEARS and come out of it STILL not only seemingly sane but from the photos and video... a gentle soul with a meek beauty. Remember the MEEK shall inherit the earth. Garrido will be... only Jesus knows where. No you are WRONG this is a beautiful human being who LOST everything and still came back home with out needing to go to a RUBBER ROOM for the rest of her life. that is no LESS than a act of God. PERIOD

June 4, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. k

She suffers/suffered from stockholm syndrome-bless her for being as strong as she is.......

June 4, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. SC

I heard on the news yesterday that Jaycee is releasing a memoir of her life soon...if that helps anyone feel less angry about the disclosure of court transcripts. Seems she's likely ok with it. Just sayin'. Otherwise I totally agree with sealing the transcripts of an abused minor.

June 4, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Good point...except that she was not a minor the whole time this happened. Plus it's not like this trial was held in secret.

June 4, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay

My bad...I wrote "trial", rather than "hearing". Of course, there are transcripts from both trials and hearings 🙂

June 4, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. Neeneko

The interesting thing about cases like this, it always brings out the bloodthirsty. I am always fascinated at how relative ethics are... that it isn't what you do,... but who you do it to... so all the monsters get to express their evil in a socially acceptable way and still consider themselves good people. Amusing.

June 4, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. Andre Salzmann

How DUMB is this woman..? She had thousands of chances to escape. "i didnt know what to do..i have no money..i dont have anything". How about just walk down the street and explain to ANYONE what your going through..(abduction) you dump C**T..!! Honestly your deserve what happened to you for 18 years! You could have stopped it after the first year!

June 4, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Re

How could anyone deserve that?! She was only 11 yrs old when she was taken and clearly still has the mind of a child. She was scared and even spoke about him threatening her. I'm sure she was terrified of what he would do if he caught her trying to escape. She didn't even know where she was or where to go since she was a CHILD. She also had stockholm syndrome since they became parental figures as she was taken as a CHILD. It is so easy for you to sit there and judge when you were not the one living this horror every day!

June 4, 2011 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Ravred

You are a complete and utter moron! 1st off this "woman" was 11 ..making her a kid. Are you seriously trying to compare what you would do in such a situation...SO you where there and witnessed every thing that was said and done to her and know how if effected her mentally and emotionally....moron

June 6, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |