Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity
Phillip and Nancy Garrido abducted Jaycee Dugard when she was 11 years old.
June 3rd, 2011

Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity

Jaycee Dugard vividly remembers the morning 20 years ago when she was kidnapped. A car crept up behind her as she walked to the bus stop for school.

"I didn't think it was weird at the time, but it kind of pulled in close to me," she told a grand jury in September 2010, according to redacted transcripts released today. In them she describes her encounters with her convicted captors Philip and Nancy Garrido.

She was asked for directions. In a flash, her life took a turn that would change her forever.

Dugard would go from an 11-year-old, blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde to a 29-year-old with two children - all while she was kept locked away in a backyard compound of sheds and tarps owned by Garrido. The couple both pleaded guilty to avoid a trial, where Dugard would have to publicly testify and describe the nearly two decades she spent in captivity. Philip Garrido was sentenced this week to 431 years in prison. His wife Nancy got 36 years for Dugard's kidnapping. Dugard’s description of the events comes from grand jury testimony in the case against the couple. It is the first time she Dugard has told in full detail what happened during her kidnapping.

Dugard told the grand jury about the exact moment her walk to school turned into 18 years of captivity.

"All of a sudden his hand shoots out and I feel tingly and like losing control, and I'm in the bushes, trying to go back, and somebody is dragging me," she said.

She felt as if her body wouldn't work - like she had no control, according to the transcripts. Then she found herself inside a car on the floorboard with someone putting pressure on her body.

"I could feel the pressure. I could feel legs moving," she said.

She remembers the sound of the car door slamming. She was offered a drink and then heard a man laughing.

"I can't believe we got away with it," she recalls the man, Philip Garrido, saying.

Covered with a blanket, hot, and nervous, Dugard remembers pleading with her captors to release her.

"I kept telling him that, you know, 'I don't know why you're doing this. If you're holding me for ransom, my family doesn't have a lot of money.' "

Dugard said at one point she "lost control of her bladder and then blacked out."

At one point he said they were going to walk - he would lead the way, and she would hold on to him and follow.

Led by Garrido, she walked with a blanket over her head and wearing only a towel and no shoes to the building where she was held.

That would only be the beginning of her torturous 18-year ordeal in the Antioch, California, compound.

Philip Garrido showed her his stun gun and how it worked, Dugard recalled. The sound was familiar. It was the same noise she heard while walking to school, perhaps a sign of how he helped grab her.

"When I didn't want to do something that he wanted me to do, he would - he never used it again, but he would turn it on and say something like, you know, 'You don't want it to happen again. You should be good.' "

It was an emotional brainwashing of sorts. Dugard was kept alone for most of the first year she was held captive by the couple - except for when she was being sexually assaulted.

Dugard remembers that she was forced once a week for three years to have sex with Philip Garrido until she was pregnant.

She remembers a brief reprieve from the torture when Philip Garrido disappeared for a month. That's when she spent more time with Garrido's wife.

"I mean, it was nice because I didn't have to have sex or runs or anything," Dugard said.

Nancy Garrido still kept her locked up, but Dugard said they would have dinner together and watch TV. Sometimes she would even tell Dugard "I'll take this run for you," meaning Nancy would have sex with her husband so Dugard didn't have to - at least when she could.

"Nancy said a lot that she was - she would take - would do it for me," Dugard told the grand jury.

After Dugard's first baby with Garrido was born, things started to change, she said.

"He said he was eventually going to stop having sex with me and that, you know, he's just really trying to change and he wants us all to be a family," Dugard recalls her male captor saying.

And even though they all slept in the same room after that, Dugard didn't know if the door was locked or where she was.

"I didn't know where to go," she said, referring to whether she ever had the chance to escape.

Her captors explained Philip Garrido had a sex problem and Dugard was the solution.

"He said that I was helping him and that, you know, he had a sex problem," Dugard said. "He got me so that he wouldn't have to do this to anybody else. So I was helping him."

So the assaults continued.

"He knew I was really scared about getting pregnant again. He said he just couldn't help himself, but he was really trying to stop," she said. "And then I got pregnant again, and that's the last time he had sex with me was when (the second baby) was conceived."

That second baby changed things, Dugard recalled. Even though she was held captive, she felt the Garridos grip loosen, even just a bit.

"He started a printing business and I started working there. And we had a lot more freedom outside," she said. "The kids could go play out there, and we had a pool."

"We just started acting like a family, and we would celebrate their birthdays together. Just trying to be normal, I guess."

Still, she remained scared most of the time. She was more than 160 miles from home, and her family had no idea where she was. It had been 18 years.

The district attorney asked her if she felt like she had spent all of those years living in captivity.

"I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t leave," she said. "I had the girls. I didn’t know where to go, what I would do for money or anything. I didn’t have anything."

Despite all of the fear, trauma and assaults, she told the grand jury she never once tried to escape.

“I was scared. I didn’t know what I would do," she said. "I was afraid of I guess what he would do."

In August 2009 when Garrido was spotted near the campus of the University of California - Berkeley, trying to hand out religious literature. When the incident was reported, Garrido was forced to go see his parole officer. He arrived with his wife, Dugard and Dugard's two children.

Dugard separated from her children. She lied, telling officials her name was Alissa Franzen and she was an out-of-town relative.

“I was scared," Dugard recalled. "I didn’t know what to say.”

Dugard said she remembers officials threatening to take her kids away from her and arrest her. They said they would find out who "she really was."

"I’m sorry. I just – I can’t. I don’t know what to do," she remembers telling them.

Then an officer came in and told her that they knew the truth about her and her abductors.

"Phillip confessed and said that he had taken you," she remembers an officer telling her.

"I started crying," Dugard said.

The officer told Dugard she could shed her false identity, that she had to tell them what her name really was.

"I said that I can’t because I hadn’t said my name in 18 years," Dugard said.

1. Prof. Doc captain

Was handing out religious literature. Ha! its always some religous zombie.

June 4, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rational

i just read the whole thing and didn't see anything about handing out religious literature

June 5, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@rational: read it again, with your eyes. Where it mentions berkeley, the cops getting involved, etc. Kind of a turning point in the whole thing, not sure how you missed it once, much less twice or more..

June 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corrine

Rational:
      "In August 2009 when Garrido was spotted near the campus of the University of California – Berkeley, trying to hand out religious literature."

June 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ida

God bless her and her family. I hope they rot!

June 4, 2011 at 5:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. JustMe32

The poor thing. Heaven nor hell has a place for her abductors.

June 4, 2011 at 5:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • JustMe32

Sorry, Nor Heaven or hell has a place for her aductors.

June 4, 2011 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Isotta-Fraschini

A molested and/or battered, terrified child thinks that nobody, even a judge, will believe him regarding the "unbelievable" extent of his horror.
    Actually, he's correct, as witnessed by the absence of two death penalties from the state's laws and this court.

June 4, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. john edwards

All you postees are rude racist airheads

June 4, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • I CARE

YOUR COMMENT IS RUDE AND RACIST.
      POOR GIRL .SHE NEEDS SUPPORT FROM PEOPLE WHO CARE NOT BAD COMMENTS FROM JERKS WITH SHALLOW MINDS.

June 5, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Isotta-Fraschini

@ john edwards:
    A postee would be "one who is posted," not "one who posts."
    Did anybody get posted here?
    How would getting posted make me a racist?
    Am I a racist because I support the death penalty?
    Perhaps you think, now, that I'm a racist because I understand words.
    I am never rude, but I am very honest.

June 4, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ken

Well said: cant put it better.

June 4, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reply to Ann West

Ann: You are cold blooded. Your comment is nasty.

June 6, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. Anthony's Case posts

I'm gay.

June 4, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • maryd

who gives a BIG S if you're GAY!!!!

June 5, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mike okburns

ENOUGH! I suppose people on this are under the delusion that redundant arm-chair psychological comments will help, or any of the other stupid chatter is relevant. Honestly, you people are beyond needy, and anyone who wastes time doing this is likely to be lonely and sad. Oh hey there – it me...

June 5, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. robert terwilliger

Thank you Mike Okburns! Couldn't agree more. I just hope there are more people out there to restate again and again the obvious, and please – someone, double check my grammar! The world needs this and so do I!

June 5, 2011 at 3:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. ANN west

June 5, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • NyteShayde

You're a moron

June 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ANN west

I have to blame the victim, Face it, perverts exist. In 18 years she could not figure out how to leave? She had to know the guy was not her mother or father. How dumb is she? Children run away at 9,10,11 years old from good homes. Her actions would be understandable if she were 6,7,8 years old. This idiot didn't know her own address, phone number or location of the front door? she had no chance to climb over the wall, sneak out or tell anyone? From what I've read She had many chances but wanted to stay. "SHE DID NOT HATE EVERY MOMENT" as stated. She accepted them as her new family and made no attempt to leave. She would have lived the forever.

June 5, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • maryd

There are pyschiatric facilities out there that treat people who THINK like YOU!!!!...Check YOURSELF into one ASAP!!!!!

June 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ANN west

I have to blame the victim, Face it, perverts exist. In 18 years she could not figure out how to leave? She had to know the guy was not her mother or father. How dumb is she? Children run away at 9,10,11 years old from good homes. Her actions would be understandable if she were 6,7,8 years old. This idiot didn't know her own address, phone number or location of the front door? He have no chance to climb over sneak out or tell anyone? From what I've read She had many chances but wanted to stay. "SHE DID NOT HATE EVERY MOMENT" as stated. She accepted them as her new family and made no attempt to leave. What kind of parents don't teach there kids basic survival skill. I know 6 year olds that know the own parents and telephone number.

June 5, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. nunya

wow. The nastiness on this comments page astounds me. I can't believe people are so horrible. Wait. Yes I can.

June 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Robert

no human pentaly is effecient massive torcher is inded needed for both of them

June 5, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. College guy

I can not imagine how this guy's public defense lawyer must of felt like when he defended him. I would not have a problem with defending him because it is his right to receive counsel but i don't see any possible defense for this guy. I guess you could make a case that the girl had adapted to her new way of life and lower his jail time but still he's going to get life for 18 years of crime. Well, I'm sure a lot of people will hate me for my comment but I don't mind.

June 6, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse | Reply