Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity
Phillip and Nancy Garrido abducted Jaycee Dugard when she was 11 years old.
June 3rd, 2011

Transcript: Dugard details 18 years of terror, rape in captivity

Jaycee Dugard vividly remembers the morning 20 years ago when she was kidnapped. A car crept up behind her as she walked to the bus stop for school.

"I didn't think it was weird at the time, but it kind of pulled in close to me," she told a grand jury in September 2010, according to redacted transcripts released today. In them she describes her encounters with her convicted captors Philip and Nancy Garrido.

She was asked for directions. In a flash, her life took a turn that would change her forever.

Dugard would go from an 11-year-old, blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde to a 29-year-old with two children - all while she was kept locked away in a backyard compound of sheds and tarps owned by Garrido. The couple both pleaded guilty to avoid a trial, where Dugard would have to publicly testify and describe the nearly two decades she spent in captivity. Philip Garrido was sentenced this week to 431 years in prison. His wife Nancy got 36 years for Dugard's kidnapping. Dugard’s description of the events comes from grand jury testimony in the case against the couple. It is the first time she Dugard has told in full detail what happened during her kidnapping.

Dugard told the grand jury about the exact moment her walk to school turned into 18 years of captivity.

"All of a sudden his hand shoots out and I feel tingly and like losing control, and I'm in the bushes, trying to go back, and somebody is dragging me," she said.

She felt as if her body wouldn't work - like she had no control, according to the transcripts. Then she found herself inside a car on the floorboard with someone putting pressure on her body.

"I could feel the pressure. I could feel legs moving," she said.

She remembers the sound of the car door slamming. She was offered a drink and then heard a man laughing.

"I can't believe we got away with it," she recalls the man, Philip Garrido, saying.

Covered with a blanket, hot, and nervous, Dugard remembers pleading with her captors to release her.

"I kept telling him that, you know, 'I don't know why you're doing this. If you're holding me for ransom, my family doesn't have a lot of money.' "

Dugard said at one point she "lost control of her bladder and then blacked out."

At one point he said they were going to walk - he would lead the way, and she would hold on to him and follow.

Led by Garrido, she walked with a blanket over her head and wearing only a towel and no shoes to the building where she was held.

That would only be the beginning of her torturous 18-year ordeal in the Antioch, California, compound.

Philip Garrido showed her his stun gun and how it worked, Dugard recalled. The sound was familiar. It was the same noise she heard while walking to school, perhaps a sign of how he helped grab her.

"When I didn't want to do something that he wanted me to do, he would - he never used it again, but he would turn it on and say something like, you know, 'You don't want it to happen again. You should be good.' "

It was an emotional brainwashing of sorts. Dugard was kept alone for most of the first year she was held captive by the couple - except for when she was being sexually assaulted.

Dugard remembers that she was forced once a week for three years to have sex with Philip Garrido until she was pregnant.

She remembers a brief reprieve from the torture when Philip Garrido disappeared for a month. That's when she spent more time with Garrido's wife.

"I mean, it was nice because I didn't have to have sex or runs or anything," Dugard said.

Nancy Garrido still kept her locked up, but Dugard said they would have dinner together and watch TV. Sometimes she would even tell Dugard "I'll take this run for you," meaning Nancy would have sex with her husband so Dugard didn't have to - at least when she could.

"Nancy said a lot that she was - she would take - would do it for me," Dugard told the grand jury.

After Dugard's first baby with Garrido was born, things started to change, she said.

"He said he was eventually going to stop having sex with me and that, you know, he's just really trying to change and he wants us all to be a family," Dugard recalls her male captor saying.

And even though they all slept in the same room after that, Dugard didn't know if the door was locked or where she was.

"I didn't know where to go," she said, referring to whether she ever had the chance to escape.

Her captors explained Philip Garrido had a sex problem and Dugard was the solution.

"He said that I was helping him and that, you know, he had a sex problem," Dugard said. "He got me so that he wouldn't have to do this to anybody else. So I was helping him."

So the assaults continued.

"He knew I was really scared about getting pregnant again. He said he just couldn't help himself, but he was really trying to stop," she said. "And then I got pregnant again, and that's the last time he had sex with me was when (the second baby) was conceived."

That second baby changed things, Dugard recalled. Even though she was held captive, she felt the Garridos grip loosen, even just a bit.

"He started a printing business and I started working there. And we had a lot more freedom outside," she said. "The kids could go play out there, and we had a pool."

"We just started acting like a family, and we would celebrate their birthdays together. Just trying to be normal, I guess."

Still, she remained scared most of the time. She was more than 160 miles from home, and her family had no idea where she was. It had been 18 years.

The district attorney asked her if she felt like she had spent all of those years living in captivity.

"I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t leave," she said. "I had the girls. I didn’t know where to go, what I would do for money or anything. I didn’t have anything."

Despite all of the fear, trauma and assaults, she told the grand jury she never once tried to escape.

“I was scared. I didn’t know what I would do," she said. "I was afraid of I guess what he would do."

In August 2009 when Garrido was spotted near the campus of the University of California - Berkeley, trying to hand out religious literature. When the incident was reported, Garrido was forced to go see his parole officer. He arrived with his wife, Dugard and Dugard's two children.

Dugard separated from her children. She lied, telling officials her name was Alissa Franzen and she was an out-of-town relative.

“I was scared," Dugard recalled. "I didn’t know what to say.”

Dugard said she remembers officials threatening to take her kids away from her and arrest her. They said they would find out who "she really was."

"I’m sorry. I just – I can’t. I don’t know what to do," she remembers telling them.

Then an officer came in and told her that they knew the truth about her and her abductors.

"Phillip confessed and said that he had taken you," she remembers an officer telling her.

"I started crying," Dugard said.

The officer told Dugard she could shed her false identity, that she had to tell them what her name really was.

"I said that I can’t because I hadn’t said my name in 18 years," Dugard said.

1. Ashamed

I just can't believe how many ignorant people are on this place..especially the one about how the then "11 year old" is to blame.. You are wrong and its not an opinion its a FACT...anyways its a true sad story.. Glad it is over and she can begin her life.. usually the abducted get killed eventually so she was lucky in that sense... I don't believe the couple who abducted her should get the death penalty because thats too easy.. they need to live with their decisions and rot in hell...

June 6, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

ah, why does this article just suddenly end? They just end it right after she says she doesn't know her name? Where's the rest of it?

June 6, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • EVVS

She was just a little girl, i wish her a better life. As for the monster I would like to have 30 minutes to teach him a lot of things, he would regret everything he has done for this life, and lifes he might have ahead.

June 7, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Kristy

Jaycee said she couldn't say her name because it had been 18 years since she said it. So the officer gave her a piece of paper and a pen and she wrote down her name and then wrote down her mothers name. Such a sad story. I'm glad this piece of crap got 431 years! I think the craps wife should've gotten ALOT longer than 36 years though! She's the one that pulled Jaycee in the car, she's the one that allowed this to happen, she's the one that let it go on for as long as it did. I wish Jaycee and her family all the best and hope they can heal from this as best they can!

June 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • AtxMother

.....@EVVS, all i would need is 2 seconds: 1. call his name (to get his attention), 2. then pull the....

June 7, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaycee You are BLESSED and Stronger most of these replies

Although, you suffered physically and mentally you came out with all your wits. Enough to tell your story, no amount of words can express comfort to you after all you endured, however, I am most glad you came out of this alive and well and although the nut fathered your children. Having shalom that he will never ever see them again can bring you comfort each new day you awake. I know in times like these we say where is God, he was with you giving you strength each day to over come this madness. I wish you many happy days for all you and your mom and real daddy have lost that you can pick up your life and move forward. This would be a lifetime change for you as you look at your children become adults. Pray and keep them in your heart it is not their fault they were chosen to come into this world. God Bless you and your beautiful daughters and please ignore the ignorant and unlearned. Always, know you alone walked this path in life and no one is willing to walk in your shoes to suffer such henious crime. Please know you did nothing wrong because you are still alive and well in your right mind, and it all started when you were 11 years old. I hold no fault to you. Take Care and continue growing into a strong advocate for abducted children. God Be With You and Your Family like he has allowed this truth to come out.

June 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Katrine

Hang on- the guy is sentenced to 431 years in prison? I'm all for the lunatic's life imprisonment, but unless you're locking up Edward Cullen, isn't 431 years kind of a long time?

June 6, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • G-dog

They give them that long of a sentence so that there is no chance what so ever for early release for good behavior.

June 7, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Pamela

"isn't 431 years kind of a long time?" How long do you think he should be put away for? Do you have children? It's people like you who make the justice system an injustice system. Are you head of the Garrido Fan Club?

June 7, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Jasmine

I LOVE Edward Cullen. Had to throw that out there. But I think sick twisted people like him should be killed on contact. They've taken other people's lives, why not take away their's?

June 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Wayne, Belleville, Ontario

Two points that I can personally identify with:

1. Wasn't this the same kid who's step-father seen the abduction, tried to get up the hill, but wasn't fast enough, and then was accused of being responsible? I know what it is like to lose everything over a false accusation that didn't go beyond a trial. The accuser gets away with ruining my life, my kids lives, and the government agencies involved in the witch hunt have offered me 3 counselling sessions.

2. Why is the women involved in these crimes always get off lightly in comparison to the male cohort? Just think of women like Holmoka. Last I heard she was remarried, had a child, and is living in the Carribean, with a government paid for university education. Her husband is still in prison. Holmolka molested and murdered her own sister.

June 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. blueyes

MARYD ..learn to spell ...CASEY NOT kASEY

June 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. 2Twisted

I wonder if Garrido can sue Dugard for custody or visitation rights to the two children. I wonder if Dugard can sue Garrido for child support......just curious.

June 7, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • kb24

are you seriously that dumb? how in the world can Garrido have any kind of rights to the children? considering he is gonna be in jail for the rest of his life. In no way or form is he to see those kids ever in his life. he is so sick and should never be near a kid ever in his life.

June 7, 2011 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
    • G-dog

LOL!

June 7, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. thaimei

what happen to that culprit? what is the US law for such inhuman people? what is the decision of the victim?

June 7, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. G-dog

Where are the two children now? I never hear where they are at.

June 7, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • alumette

they are with their mother. They keep their lives hidden as though not to traumatize them.

June 7, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. Arielle - VA

Jaycee you're an incredibly strong woman to have survived all that, to have the courage to talk about it to the world. I hope that your tales will help parents and young girls everywhere be a little more cautious, for folks to be a little more observant to prevent this from happening ever again.

June 7, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. EVVS

Thiis ccouple look like zoombies, I would like to put them in coffins while they are alive and lock it put 6 feet underground.

June 7, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • AtxMother

That would be wasting entirely too much time on them. all you need is wind, gasoline, flame....just saying...

June 7, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Minerva from Los Angeles

Jaycee – You have my full support for these years of trauma and horrific abuse. I am so sorry this happened to you and took away your youth and family. I am so glad for you that you found your family at last, and have time now to erase this bitter memory. Life has strange twists. I am so glad for you that this rascal got what he deserved. You have to deal with the anger you feel – that is the most important thing that can eat into you. I cannot imagine too, what anger your parents must feel toward this monster. I hope you can all deal with it constructively. My heart goes out to you and your family. May you live a long and healthy life full of brightness and joy from now on.

June 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. AtxMother

June 7, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jaycee You are BLESSED and Stronger Then Most

GOD BLESS JAYCEE AND HER FAMILY ALWAYS – SHALOM, SHALOM, SHALOM.

What upsets me is the Wife would stoop so low to keep a psycho man for a husband, she had to be psycho as well. There are a lot of mentally ill men and woman who walk this earth and refuse to get help, then these things come about.

June 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Logan

i have an 11 year-old girl and i take her to and from school. some of my family has repeatedly made fun of me, calling me paranoid, or lazy, saying i just want to work less hours at work, and use the excuse of protecting my daughter from kidnapping by walking her to and from school. nice family i come from. no way. i am going to protect my kid.

June 7, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HH

how thsi guy still breaths air is beyond me

June 8, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • WAKE UP PEOPLE

They should keep the both of them in a very small, damp, dark room so they can live the life they created for this "child". The Good Lord will take care of the rest of their existence.

June 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. hih

How is this guy still breathing air

June 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |