Gotta Watch: Remembering D-Day
Reinforcements disembarking from a landing barge at Normandy during the allied invasion of France on D-Day
June 6th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Remembering D-Day

On June 6th, 1944, more than 150,000 Allied troops poured onto the heavily fortified beaches of Normandy, France, in one of the most decisive battles of World War II. The D-Day invasion marked a beginning of the end of the war and the defeat of the Nazi regime in Europe. This particular operation was at a high cost to the Allied forces, with nearly 10,000 troops killed or wounded. Today marks the 67th anniversary of that pivotal operation.

'We didn't have time to fear' - World War II veterans recount what it was like to participate in the invasion of Normandy.

D-Day begins - After years of meticulous planning and training for the Allied forces, it all came down to June 6, 1944.

Post by:
Filed under: Adolf Hitler • France • Gotta Watch • History
  1. Deb (Military Family)

I come from a military family. My youngest son served in the Marines for the past 4 years, doing a tour in Iraq, I worried about him endlessly, day and night!!!! As he slept in a tent for nearly 8 months with no more protection then a rifle and a piece of fabric between him and the terrorists. My grandfather landed on Omaha Beach in one of those barges and watched his friends being killed all around him as he made his way through the bloody ocean to the shore. He was older and volunteered to fight, hoping to keep one young man from being drafted. As an older man he took the young boys 18-19 years olds under his wing and tried to protect them as much as possible. It was a horrible, horrible, bloody fight for that piece of land and many, many young men died protecting our FREEDOM. It literally took him years to tell me anything about that day, and when he did, he said he was watching after one young man who was particuarly terrified. He told him he'd be okay, but he wasn't, he stepped on a land mine not far from my grandfather as they entered the beach. He never forgot that young man, and I won't either!!!! GOD BLESS OUR MEN AND WOMEN IN ALL US MILITARY BRANCHES!!!! MAY THE LORD WATCH OVER YOU DAY AND NIGHT!!! And please KNOW that there are MANY AMERICANS that are STANDING BY YOU!!!!

June 10, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DC Emergency Board up

hello!,I like your writing very a lot! proportion we keep in touch more about your post on AOL? I need an expert in this house to unravel my problem. Maybe that's you! Having a look forward to look you.

June 28, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. Navybrat

People do care!! Its part of American history!! Also think about all the men that died! For you to say no one cares offends me! I am a former Sailor and the daughter of a retired sailor!! Obv you have NEVER been in the service or had anyone close to you in! Dont comment next time!!

June 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tcp

I care.

June 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Have some respect.

This is in commemoration of one of the most important events of the twentieth century. Thousand upon thousands of men risked and gave their lives to defend this country. The least you can do is be respectful and not make a comment if you have nothing good to say. It is a shame that more isn't being done nationwide and in the media to honor those who made the sacrifices for freedom.

June 6, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Josh

That is pretty sad that you do not have enough respect for our veterans to care. They fought and died for you to be able to say that.

June 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pete H

Good. Don't care. Don't forget though, to thank those who served and the thousands who died to protect your right not to care. As for me, I'll always care. I'll always be grateful to those who secured my freedom!

June 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dan

I care too CF..... what does the C stand for Chicken or Coward? I already know what the F stands for....

June 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MrPeterson2u

PUTZ.

June 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TheWiz71

Don't feed the trolls, folks.

June 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jingoistic Drum Banger

everyone cares when they are sitting at the library ~ unemployed,...... on the free computer........after waiting for 2 others

already pawned the pistol ~ no chance of biting the barrel.
    suicide by cops............

June 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JohnJohn

My Dad was a sailor on USS NewBedford. He just passed last year 4-13-10. His service and bravery had always left me forever Proud. His absense destroys me, and flags remind me of a day that I had everything. We have our freedom because of MEN like him. I have my memories, but they remain shadows. Youth knows the only true Happiness. When your children come, happiness is revisited, but never as complete as when you have your dad and mom. Love always, John

June 6, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bubba

Sucks to be you!

June 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Buck Domitrovich

I made a trip last year to Omaha beach, just to keel on the beach and say thanks for what they did for me.

June 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Logical

I like to think of it this way: If you don't care, you are not a real American.

Real Americans never forget and always care.

June 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |