Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Marquise

How childish! Stupid, stupid, stupid! No wonder nothing is getting done on Capital hill. D.C. is infested with perverts, liars, and thieves. He should be recalled for stupidity.

His wife better get tested. Loverboy can't keep it zipped up.

June 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dink Lane

Anyone notice the DOW "Dropped" 500 points since 5/31..... when the house voted NO to the DEBT-CEILING????

Flashy objects....flashy object.....smoke and mirrors....don't look....

June 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ummyeah

why lie? thats what I dont get. I can understand the photos, but to go lie about multiple times in public is way worse than the photos. And they know they cant get away with it, and it will be found out. And how many days did this lie buy him? Doesnt he have advisors, attorneys, whatever around him to give advice on this stuff? People in these positions should know better you think, especially these days where we all know the truth will come out soon. got to be gross arrogance, ignorance, or both.

June 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

Well, this picture makes it official; he's locked up the gay vote.

PS – Am I so old and out of touch that I am the only human left that hasn't surgically removed all hair below my neck?

June 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

The gay vote huh? So you assume that someone's preference makes them less moral? How insightful you are. It's reasoning like yours that aides in making it difficult for us to connect with each other. I found your comment as tacky as his tweet. I hope you were joking but if not, you may be old but you should grow up.

June 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JP

When will CNN be offering Weiner a talk show??? He's nearly met the criteria already established by another NY Dem!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. frank

RESIGN, YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN CONGRESS TRY A PEEP SHOW.

June 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. James

HORRIBLE PERSONAL DECISIONS (LIES, CHEATING, ADULTRY, FALSE ACCUSATIONS) = HORRIBLE DECISIONS IN THE PUBLIC ARENA!!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kenton Lunger

Who gives a s***? I bet if we investigated how many republicans j-off on chatroulette, our country would be purely BLUE balls after the resignations!

June 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenton Lunger

get it? play on words? I'm clever.

June 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

See... the Republican DID resign the same day the story broke. The democRAT wont resign... after he lied to reporters and accused others of crimes. HE ONLY CARES ABOUT POWER AND CONTROL!!! He is your stand-up democRAT!! This is what you get when you vote democRAT! They won't even resign when they are caught lying and sending nudy pics to young girls.

June 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenton Lunger

I'm not saying that democrats are any better, they are just the ones that get caught. I'm actually praising the reds saying that they are smart enough to j-off on chatroulette where nobody can identify them haha. I could care a less who's right and who's left, I think all politicians are full of s***. The US would be better off if it was ran by hippies on Molly and LSD.

June 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lucy

Well I was wrong,,,I thought Weiner would have to be a first-class moron in order to have tweeted that photo, of course it would get out and ruin his image and why would he do that? Guess public officials think less about the consequences to their actions than I initially thought, this type of narcissism is out of control stupid.

June 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barack Mugabe

Did you really need his confession to see the truth?

June 6, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bill D

Glad he confessed.
    Now – he'll resign in humiliation and disgrace and, with these new and "requisite credentials",
    will be hired by CNN to maybe work along side Elliott Spitzer – another pinnacle of ethics, morality and credibility..

June 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. frank

PELOSI DRAIN THE SWAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! START WITH THIS PEVERT.

June 6, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Harley Sportster 883

Why bother lying, the truth always comes out. If it did not involve anyone under age what's the issue? No, I wouldn't be happy if he were my hubby, but that's a marital issue. If everyone being paid by tax dollars was fired or made to resign because they did something " immoral" or inappropriate online the country would be come to a halt. Not everyone holds the same opinion on what is morally right or wrong. He showed his pkg via Twitter big deal... or little deal, lol. I havn't seen it judge.

June 6, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

classic. That's a +1 for you

June 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liberal frauds

Typical Liberal response. Charles Rangle is that you?

June 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. James

Weiner... YOUR TYPICAL DEMOCRAT! In Weiner's own words: Pelosi said, "I love you"!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Disgusted...is disgusted?

By this tripe?

With all of the huffing and puffing and lying about things that are really important...you want a resignation ove this?

Get a life...tis is nothing.

June 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barack Mugabe

Ah, for the good old days, when "pubic hair on a coke can" was disqualifying.

June 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. frank

WEINER, SPITZER, RANGAL,PATERSON, THESE ARE AND WERE NEW YORK LEADERS?????????????? NO WONDER PEOPLE ARE LEAVING THE STATE. LOL

June 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |