Japan college offers PhD in comics
Lovers of Japanese comics can now get a doctorate in the art form.
June 7th, 2011

Japan college offers PhD in comics

Fans of vintage Japanese comics can now get a high degree in the art form.

Kyoto Seika University, a private college in western Japan, is launching the nation's first doctoral program in manga, according to Australia's The Age.

The institution reportedly began an online degree program in manga and anime last year, the newspaper says.

The on-campus program should prove to be popular. Kyoto Seika has already gotten requests from people overseas to do their cartoon research there.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Education • Japan
  1. G

Sweet, I'm gonna get a PHd to draw cartoon characters with enormous breasts and eyes that are way too big for their head!

June 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • The Mad R@p3r

Dont forget the fact that they're 12 yet rock double Ds, dress in schoolgirl outfits no matter the setting, and love demon tentacles, literally.

June 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rooney

That's awesome! I've always been a fan of manga & anime.

June 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Anthony's Case Post

The way her eyes glared at me from across the dance floor, almost inviting me to take her trembling scrawny body right there and then. I knew she wasn't wearing panties because she had stumbled and fallen down earlier. When she was getting back up her hoohah made itself known to the world. I began to walk towards her Heineken in hand when all of a sudden she threw up on herself. It was at that moment I knew I was going to take her home.

June 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Canadian Genius

If they offer a PhD in video gaming, I'm there.

June 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. banasy

*Facepalm*

June 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. the Laughing Prospector

Nuclear mutant comics. Ha ha ha...burp...ha ha ha...burp... ha ha ha...burp...

June 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Tofu.Ninja

That's sooo cool I hope I can go there one day drawing and wroting is everything to me I'd love to pursue a job doing that becoming famous for my mangas *sighs*

June 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. banasy

@Tofu:
    Hope you can make your dream happen.

June 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Anthony's Case Posts

Casey Anthony was offered a limited immunity deal by prosecutors until September 2, 2008, but did not take it. Casey Anthony was arrested for the third time on September 15, 2008, on new charges of theft, and was released shortly afterward.

On September 5, 2008, Casey Anthony was released again on bail after being fitted with an electronic tracking device. Her $500,000 bond was posted anonymously, and it was later revealed that her parents, Cindy and George Anthony, signed a promissory note for the bond.

On October 14, 2008, Casey Anthony was indicted by a grand jury on charges of first-degree murder and was arrested for the fourth time. She entered a plea of not-guilty to the charges that she killed Caylee. On October 21, 2008, the charges of child neglect were dropped against Casey. In a statement that morning, the State Attorney’s Office explained: “The neglect charges were premised on the theory that her child, Caylee Marie, was still alive. As the investigation progressed and it became clear that the evidence proved that the child was deceased, the State sought an indictment on the legally appropriate charges.”

On April 14, 2009, prosecutors announced that they plan to seek the death penalty in this case. Casey Anthony and her family maintain that she is innocent of all charges

June 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Dr. Phill

So Anthony,how do you feel today? I hope you will allow me to fight those inner demons inside of you. You know Anthony,it is sad what happened to this girl. It's not your fault. I detect so much guilt from your posts that it astonishes me. I hope to help you normalize your feelings on this horrendous event. For now,please have nice thoughts and imagine yourself on a beach.

June 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Oprah banasy

Get your ass back in the kitchen, you silly medical hack! I made you, and I can break you, "Dr."
    Phil!

June 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. s kel

the same stupid are here talking about the same urelated trash as in other articals on cnn blog.

June 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Hebrew National Beef Franks Headquarters

Have you heard about our illustrious Mr. Weiner? Please do not let it reflect on our company. We are giving free samples to all Gentiles (with valid birth certificate). And the word "wiener" and or "weiner" will not present on any future packaging. We are working around the clock to insure that Mr. Weiner will no longer have any backing from us! L'CHAIM

June 8, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Tofu.Ninja

@bansay
    Thanks!!!! :)

June 9, 2011 at 3:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. application essays

very interesting article! I will follow your themes.
    Can I subscribe to your posts on Twitter or on your Facebook profile?

January 5, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse | Reply