2 people die as bear flies through SUV
Two people died and a third was injured when a bear crashed through this SUV near Luskville, Quebec, police said.
June 8th, 2011

2 people die as bear flies through SUV

A bizarre auto accident involving two vehicles and a bear has left two people and the bear dead, Canadian authorities said.

Police in Quebec said a 300-pound male black bear wandered onto a road and was struck by an eastbound Pontiac Sunfire. The impact sent the animal hurtling through the air, where it smashed the windshield of a westbound Nissan Pathfinder sport utility vehicle and went out through the back window, regional police spokesman Officer Martin Fournel said.

"It was a 300-pound bullet," he said.

The SUV's 35-year-old female driver and a 40-year-old man sitting behind her were killed; a 28-year-old front-seat passenger suffered minor injuries, Fournel said. In the Pontiac, neither the driver, a 23-year-old man, nor his 19-year-old male passenger was hurt.

No alcohol or drugs were involved, and police are still trying to determine each vehicle's speed in the 90 kph (56 mph) zone, Fournel said, adding that charges are unlikely.

"It's a first, there's no doubt about that," he said. "We had similar accident several years ago with a deer going through the windshield and ending up in the back seat, where it injured a boy. He wasn't killed, he was hurt. But it was not like this."

It's bear mating season, and many male bears are out looking - sometimes recklessly - for females, so drivers on rural roads should be watchful, hunting guide Daniel Larocque told the Canadian television network CBC.

The accident occurred near the town of Luskville, about 25 miles northwest of Ottawa, Ontario.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Bears • Canada
soundoff (1,017 Responses)
  1. American Liberal

Why doesn't the Canadian legislature outlaw bears wandering on the roads? This is just common sense to be on the law books. Why are they so afraid to do something about this?

June 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lulzdude

Because bears don't follow your laws, breh.

June 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackboot_dash

He knows bears don't follow laws, breh. It's satire. His name is "liberal" so he's advocating more laws to fix a problem that can be fixed with regulation. In your defense it's really weak satire and not funny, but satire none the less.

June 10, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sam

Bear in mind, accidents happen!

June 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rustydog

Looks like the bear got the short end of the stick.

June 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. intheruins

These things happen when you play "Angry Bears."

June 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Diz

So the front seat passenger was bearly missed?

June 9, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Valerie

To hit a bear that's 300 lbs and have it end up through another vehicle it had to have been hit pretty hard! I feel so sorry for the family that lost family...this is so sad

June 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Doc Magnus

Back to topic, I am truly, truly sorry for the losses the familes have suffered.

But the problem was a deceptive road sign that said "Bear Left" – everyone thought he was gone.

June 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chaddi

LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bill

Anthony – Given the choice – I'd rather be in a GM car than any piece of tin trash toyota, honda or nissan (datsun!). Many years ago – I rode as a passenger in a datsun for a 3 1/2 hour trip down the NYS Thruway from Albany to NYC. It was the WORST ride of my life! You could literally feel the whole chinsey frame of the tin box datsun flexing with each bump and dip in the road! And the (car?) was lightly loaded with 3 adults – none of which was over 160 lbs. I couldn't imagine four 200 pounders in that THING! What a Piece of S**T !!! Around that same time – my Pontiac Phoenix was rear-ended at about 40 mph by a honda accord. The sound of the impact was so intense that I thought for sure my car sustained major damage. But when I got out and walked around to the back – after checking to see that the driver & passenger of the honda were ok – I couldn't believe what had (not) happened to my Phoenix. There was no damage other than a slightly bent tail pipe and a scratch in the chrome insert piece in my rear bumper! But the whole front of the honda was a WRECK! The hood was buckled – its entire front bumper was smashed into the engine, breaking the radiator open and spilling its anti-freeze all over the place. And – the front windshield was cracked! But my Pontiac was virtually un-touched! The gal driving and her husband were both at their wits ends looking at the damage to their (car?) and apologizing to me for smashing into my car. But I could not wipe the smile off my face as I kept saying – I can believe that I'll be able to drive away with next to no damage – while the wrecked honda needed to be towed away! Another example of the Superior Strength of GM cars!!!

June 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • susan

the honda was smashed because it is designed to take the impact, not the passengers – moron. it's a good thing it was smashed.

June 9, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Susan – When my Pontiac Phoenix was rear-ended by the tin box honda – my Pontiac protected me perfectly – WITHOUT having to "crumple up" as did the tin box honda that drove into the rear of my Pontiac at nearly 40 mph. This proves that when vehicles are Built SOLID – the way GM builds vehicles – they don't have to crumple up at 40 mph impacts to protect the occupants. You are correct in saying that cars are designed to crumple up to absorb impact and protect the occupants – the BIG difference is that the tin box hondas/TOYotas and nissans will crumple up at 40 mph impacts whereas that will only happen in GM vehicles at much higher speeds. Fortunately for the folks who drove into me in the tin-box honda – they were only going 40 mph – about the highest speed that a tin box honda can enable it occupants to escape without being killed. But if the honda had to crumple at 40 mph to save its occupants – at any higher speed impacts – where the GM vehicles will begin to crumple to absorb the higher impact forces to protect the occupants – there's no more protection left at those higher impact forces in the tin box hondas/TOYotas/nissans and that's when they turn into Death Traps. You mention – moron – that's got to describe anyone who is willing to Risk their LIFE driving around in a tin-box Death Trap. I now proudly own and drive a Rock SOLID Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (one of the last GREAT Pontiacs that will last longer than any tin-box special) and it weighs over 2 tons – so any tin-box specials that unwittingly cross my path will literally bounce off my car and unfortunately for the occupants – those morons will have to hold on tight and PRAY!

June 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Try really reading it Bill. It went through the window. Not the metal. Doesn't matter what you drive, glass is glass. It's a freak accident with a sad ending. Has nothing to do with cars. Stay on topic.

June 9, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Ken – Your comments are totally INCORECT. I am Very Much On Topic. Take a closer look at the tin-box poor excuse for an suv nissan and you'll see that the roofline and the side support pillar are bent and buckled. The only way that a large animal’s body the size of a 300 lb. bear could go through the smaller windshield opening and into the vehicle is for the surrounding metal frame supporting the windshield to cave in and fail to the point where the bear's large body (which is much larger than the windshield) is able to stretch the framework opening thus allowing its body to force its way into the passenger compartment through the failed structural framework. No surprise that this happened on the tin-box nissan whose weak metal framing around the windshield (along with the rest of the vehicle) is simply not strong enough to prevent the bear’s body from entering the passenger compartment. I have a college background in strength of materials and structural integrity – and from what I’ve learned – combined with all that I have seen and observed with hondas/TOYotas/nissans that have been involved in accidents – I’d NEVER EVER buy one of those Death Traps and it AMAZES me to see how many of those tin box Death Traps are sold every year. Over 30,000 people die in traffic-related deaths each year – and the VAST MAJORITY of the DECEASED were pulled, removed or hosed out of hondas, TOYotas and nissans. What More PROOF do you need to understand that those “vehicles” are all tin-box DEATH TRAPS??? Ken – Your comments are totally INCORECT. I am Very Much On Topic. Take a closer look at the tin-box poor excuse for an suv nissan and you'll see that the roofline and the side support pillar are bent and buckled. The only way that a large animal’s body the size of a 300 lb. bear could go through the smaller windshield opening and into the vehicle is for the surrounding metal frame supporting the windshield to cave in and fail to the point where the bear's large body (which is much larger than the windshield) is able to stretch the framework opening thus allowing its body to force its way into the passenger compartment through the failed structural framework. No surprise that this happened on the tin-box nissan whose weak metal framing around the windshield (along with the rest of the vehicle) is simply not strong enough to prevent the bear’s body from entering the passenger compartment. I have a college background in strength of materials and structural integrity – and from what I’ve learned – combined with all that I have seen and observed with hondas/TOYotas/nissans that have been involved in accidents – I’d NEVER EVER buy one of those Death Traps and it AMAZES me to see how many of those tin box Death Traps are sold every year. Over 30,000 people die in traffic-related deaths each year – and the VAST MAJORITY of the DECEASED were pulled, removed or hosed out of hondas, TOYotas and nissans. What More PROOF do you need to understand that those “vehicles” are all tin-box DEATH TRAPS???

June 10, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Len B

A bear strike at 55 mph+ will go through ANY mfgs windshield. You obviously don't know much about modern car manufacturing.

June 10, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • tiger09

I survived a 70+ MPH impact on the interstate when I was hit by a Dodge Ram truck that literally rammed into my Honda Accord. My daughter and I both walked out of the vehicle. Yes, I still have pain in my back and shoulders from the wreck, but at least we are both ALIVE. The paramedics who responded and my husband who's a firefighter were amazed to see we were alive, much less conscious & still able to react to get my vehicle off the interstate and out of further harm's way.

My story isn't the only one like this either. Tin boxes? Please.

June 10, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • TRY2BKIND

Bill-as a RN I see those who drive larger vehicles sustain less injuries than smaller. (Seat belts are paramount also) Plus the truck you are talking about is American made! YAH! Even though I do understand some of the foreign cars are assembled in the USA now.
      My last point why do people when they disagree with someone, can they not leave it at that, why must they resort to name calling?

June 10, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Stop IT

STOP IT STOP SAYING TIN BOX, WE UNDERSTAND.

June 10, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ConcernedParent

Don't drink and drive, kids. This man had one bear too many.

June 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lucianne

Clearly Texas isn't the most literate state. That would be "you're"...

June 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim Bob

I knew all 3 of them, they were BEARY special people

June 9, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Disgusted!

wow some truly sick people on here! I guess you would be laughing too if it was one of your family members that were killed!

June 9, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Beaverpatrolman

AIR BEAR!

June 10, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Quebecer

I live in the Aylmer sector of the City of Gatineau, and I can tell you one thing for sure, people drive way too fast. Like the old saying goes 'speed kills'. I bet you anything that both vehicules involved in this accident were travelling at high speeds, I know because I hae seen it, and I drive that highway all the time. If they had been driving slower there could have been the same accident happening, but maybe there wouldn't have been any casualties.

June 10, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |