Alabama governor signs 'tough' immigration law
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley signed a strict immigration law Thursday.
June 9th, 2011

Alabama governor signs 'tough' immigration law

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley signed a "tough illegal immigration law" Thursday morning, his press office said.

The bill is considered by both supporters and critics to be among the toughest in the nation, even stricter than controversial laws in Arizona and Georgia.

Under the new law, public schools will be required to determine the citizenship and immigration status of enrolling students through sworn affidavits or birth certificates.

Authorities will also be required to detain a person who they believe is in the country illegally if the person cannot produce proof of residency when stopped "for any reason."

Alabama businesses will  be required to use a database called E-Verify to look up the immigration status of new employees. The use of the database was recently endorsed after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on a separate Arizona immigration law.

It will  be illegal for Alabama residents to knowingly give a ride or transport an illegal immigrant or for a landlord to knowingly rent a property to an illegal immigrant.

Cecillia Wang, managing attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union's immigrants rights project, called the bill "outrageous and blatantly unconstitutional" in an interview with The New York Times before Bentley signed it.

Huntsville Times editorial: A law, mostly for Hispanics

FULL STORY
  1. SarahPalin

Great! Now all the retards are going to move to our country of Alabama.

June 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Becky

I have several coworkers who live on the welfare system-stating they are single when they aren't-etc. They pay people for their 5th, 6th ect social security numbers so they can claim they have children and not have to pay taxes, etc......When I brought it to their attention that these things were not right I was told "don't hate the playa-hate the game" So I would say it's time to CHANGE the game.

June 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hypocrisy

KARMA, KARMA, KARMA will bite us in the a** soon enough

June 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • William Styker

SO YOU DO WANT IT IN THE EAR!

June 9, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. coral rose

So then why don't we just have all of the living on the streets! That makes sense right?! Let's have young children without parents, let's just do that because all those in power are so brilliant and "for the people" what a democratic society and government we have!
    This is such a shame.

June 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • skyder

Send the children back with the parents. They had the kids, not the nation, so why is it the nations problem to babysit them?

June 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SarahPalin

I will be easy to spot the illegals in our country of Alabama. Anyone with more than one tooth HAS to be illegal!

June 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sal

Jimbo is another one who has his head up where the sun don't shine. 

June 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jonnathen29

so they are going to use E-Verify is that correct? What happens if that system goes down or someone hacks it? Whats the next step?

June 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

Make them smile. If you can see more than one tooth, they are illegals! Get out of our country of Alabama!

June 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ladonna

For all of you putting Alabama down, you need to get off your computer and out of your parents basement and come visit us. I live in Birmingham and work at UAB. UAB ranks among Top-20 nationally in federal research and development. As of 2009, UAB is 4th in the Southeast for NIH research funding behind only Duke University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Vanderbilt University. Eleven UAB Hospital medical specialties are among the nation's top 50 in the 16 categories evaluated at 4,852 U.S. hospitals this year by U.S. News & World Report, and six specialties are in the top 25.

My point is that there are good people living here and good things happening here. We are a conservative state and believe in fair laws that are ENFORCED. If you don't want to live in that type of enviroment, don't move here, but don't put us down for our decisions. Dr. Bentley is just upholding one of his campaign promises (something more politicians should ACTUALLY do) and the majority of Alabamians elected him so kudos to him!

Oh and we've got plenty of people to pick our fruit. To Rosa Parks...please stop using the name of such a brave and nobel woman who did so much for the black people of this great state.

June 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • n4k

AMEN, Ladonna!!

June 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • n4k

On second thought, Ladonna, I mean..NOOOOOO. You are wrong! Alabama is a racist, backwoods, poor state that has NOTHING to offer. I wouldn't dare think of moving here..eh, THERE. They have nothing to offer, so everyone just stay away!

June 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • MB

I lived in Birmingham for 17 years, graduated from and worked for UAB and I'm ASHAMED of my home state. This is not how you treat other HUMAN BEINGS, by denying them education and housing just because they don't happen to have been deigned to be privileged enough to be born here. And now we can't even befriend them, apparently. I'm not an AL citizen anymore, but if I were, I'd tell the government that i"ll give a ride to anybody I damn well please. All illegal immigrants want to do is feed and take care of their families through harder work. People are more important that all this garbage about who's a citizen and who's not.

June 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. William Styker

GULTY that ILLEAGAL IS GUILTY. HANG THAT ILLEAGLA RIGHT NOW!!! I GOT THE ROPE RIGHT HERE;)

June 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ibeelvis

For those who complain that the liberals are responsible for illegal aliens receiving free medical care at emergency rooms, do your research. Ronald Reagan signed into law that emergency rooms must treat people until stable and cannot ask how they are going to pay or their residence status. By the way, some people on here need to learn to spell.

June 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. croman

When all of the immigrants are ran out of our country business owners in the construction industry will have to hire the sorry pill popping, alchoholic, pot smoking american kids who's work ethics dont amount to crapp.

June 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Newo

Dear America,
    Don't you just hate illegal immigrants?
    Sincerely,

The Native Americans.

June 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

We stole from the indians fair and square. They can just be our republican slaves. We won't deport them.

June 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • RZ

Hey dumb a$$, Actually there was equal or worse violence perpetuated when one' tribe' attacked and raided another 'tribe' killing, torturing and stealing babies and women, long before and long after 'white man" came to this continent and organised the land into a Union.
      Like there being no greater exploiter of a Mexican then another Mexican, there was no greater enemy of a so called indigenous 'tribe' then another 'tribe'. And by the way, I am 1/8 Cherokee which makes me legally an indigenous American. My people were violated by greedy individuals and corrupt gov't officials as much or more then any other 'tribe', Cherokee was not merely a 'tribe' we were a Nation. And while Anglo's eventually became the dominant ethnic group in this America, My people assimilated and understand the ways of hording masses and the dangers they present. You can't turn back history, but you can prevent history from reoccuring. As an American, I don't want Mexican's and their culture to take over this nation so Yes, I resist and will continue to resist the invasion of Illegal Latin American's. I speak English and was born this way. I value my culture as an Anglo with Cherokee blood and I will be damned if hordes of illegal's will take over this great land. I make no bones about it and you have no clue about what you think you know, Is this country not worth fighting for? I think it is. The past is the past, let us American's not repeat what my American ancestors went thru. Two wrongs don't make a right. So bring it on. I applaud the bill Alabama passed to save America from itoday's invading hordes.

June 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kensara

I have been to Alabama once and I think I will rather live in my native country rather live in Alabama. it has low immigrant population and one of the poorest states in the union so this law is much to do about nothing. I will be more concern if this law was passed in one of the northern states.

June 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. nz

its all politics, nothing is done in favor of our nation.

June 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sal

Like I said I agree with the republicans on this very issue, but still anyone today who votes for a republican is a fool. 

June 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

I can see fools everywhere I look. They are all around me.

June 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |