Alabama governor signs 'tough' immigration law
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley signed a strict immigration law Thursday.
June 9th, 2011

Alabama governor signs 'tough' immigration law

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley signed a "tough illegal immigration law" Thursday morning, his press office said.

The bill is considered by both supporters and critics to be among the toughest in the nation, even stricter than controversial laws in Arizona and Georgia.

Under the new law, public schools will be required to determine the citizenship and immigration status of enrolling students through sworn affidavits or birth certificates.

Authorities will also be required to detain a person who they believe is in the country illegally if the person cannot produce proof of residency when stopped "for any reason."

Alabama businesses will  be required to use a database called E-Verify to look up the immigration status of new employees. The use of the database was recently endorsed after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on a separate Arizona immigration law.

It will  be illegal for Alabama residents to knowingly give a ride or transport an illegal immigrant or for a landlord to knowingly rent a property to an illegal immigrant.

Cecillia Wang, managing attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union's immigrants rights project, called the bill "outrageous and blatantly unconstitutional" in an interview with The New York Times before Bentley signed it.

Huntsville Times editorial: A law, mostly for Hispanics

FULL STORY
  1. marianne

Hey California and Texas WAKE UP. This should be a nice wake up call to you since the vast majority of ILLEGAL immigrants live in thest two states and anyone who hires them to work here in any way should serve jail time for aiding and abetting, regardless of what kind of job it is. If they don't have papers proving here they shouldn't be allowed the privileges that we who are citizens are constantly being denied whether it be working or being educated here.

June 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TomPetty

Southerners.... I mean what more can be said?

June 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • SweeTeaNoVa

Yep you said it all Tom. I hear deliverance music in the background ....

June 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • theyarefu

jump already .

June 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fast Fred

Federal government not doing it's job. What more can be said.

June 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

I like your song "Free Falling". It reminds me of me.

June 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RIGHTWING-ULTRACONSERVATIVE

excellent news, i love the idea of illegals being sent to jail or booted out of the country. I dont care about their problems. AMERICANS PAY TAXES TO BENEFIT AMERICANS. all illegal immigrants can lick garbage in their own 3rd world country TOUGH LUCK CANT WAIT FOR THE FREE RIDE OF ILLEGAL ALIENS TO BE OVER. GREAT VICTORY FOR AMERICA FOLKS

June 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AJ

I think this is a great law, I live in Alabama and wish we could all of the illegals out. How can anyone justify that someone who is in this country ILLEGALLY should be allowed to stay, they are not citizens and should not have rights?

June 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sal

Hey Sarah you should talk.....haha ha ha just look in the mirror and you will see a fool. 

June 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

I see fools around me everywhere I go. Why?

June 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Larry

Z, you're so worried about $3.6 billion/yr? How about the Democrats pay for imprisoning illegals, and the republicans pay for the iraw war?

June 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. William Styker

Lets keep them ILLEAGLAS out. And kick their children out of school before they start selling drugs and starting up a gangs, and sell tacos!!

June 9, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

I actually knew a Mexican who didn't sell drugs and wasn't in a gang.

June 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

And you spell like someone from alabama.

June 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Larry

You know why so many illegals arrive in texas? So they can immediately have a sense of intellectual superiority.

June 9, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

My friend George Bush likes those books with really good pictures in them.

June 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

Right... that's why they all mow lawns and sell fast food (with stolen info). I live in TX. You can't go to a public hospital maternity ward without knowing Spanish. I moved my daughter to a different elementary school because there were too many kids who don't know english in classes with Spanish speaking teachers. Only bleeding-heart Libs think these laws are bad because they are all about the hand-out, and it deters the ones they want to give hand-outs to so they can keep their flock of ignorant minority sheep well stocked.

June 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Matt

I'm glad he signed it! Being from Alabama, i know how bad the illegal problem has gotten. A family friend who owned a business was murdered by some of these illegals. You want rights as citizens, go back to your country where you are a citizen, and stop corrupting our country. Good job Gov. Bently, you will have my vote again. And this is all the way from Afghanistan. And you people that oppose this law can go with them when they send them back to their country!

June 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SweeTeaNoVa

To gain perspective, I think everyone who posts here should first state their geographical location.
    Northern Virginia here.

Where I am from, there is no issue about McDonalds jobs being taken by immigrants...

June 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChuckinBama

I think you can see it in my name - the Great State of Alabama.... and Proud of our Governor

June 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. William Styker

LETS JUST KEEP THE HOT ILLEAGAL WOMEN HERE! I HEAR THEY'RE GOOD.

June 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ChuckinBama

There was a story in the Alabama news a couple of years ago (which really happens all the time) – 3 Mexican men, drinking and driving, hit a truck head on killing all 4 people. The 3 Mexican men had no IDs, the car that they were driving was registered to a lady in another city – she had sold the car for cash to a man (probably one of the dead) a year earlier. She had no idea that the man had never changed the registration. Quesitons at the time of the accident – Who were the men? Would the truck driver still be alive today if this law was in affect? And what legally could the woman who owned the car be held liable for? ............. And Liberals just want to let this continue.

June 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

Good post chucky. One more vote for me!

June 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave48

Great law. My grandparents came here legally. They learned English and lived productive lives. Why aren't more people from other countries doing the same?

June 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

Cause then we'd have too many people here....Duuuuuh!

June 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. get em out of here

i wish all states will do this....if they want to live here then do it properly dont just jump a fence or paddle a life raft..

June 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

Our congress want to give all these illegals citizenship!. The Democrats so they will get their vote. The Republicans so the Chamber of Commerce has all the cheap slave labor it's once. We get stuck with the loss of Security Security and Medicare because of all these freeloaders bankrupting the system!

June 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChuckinBama

Joe – you're exactly right. Most want to make this out to be a Republican witch hunt - in reality, the most Republicans liked the cheap labor. Our former Republican Governor would not pass the law because he said "the cheap labor was good for Alabama"

June 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

We don't need republican witch hunts. The media finds me whereever I go.

June 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |