Glass staircase not dress friendly
A glass staircase is causing women to rethink taking the stairs.
June 9th, 2011

Glass staircase not dress friendly

For years, women across America have dealt with glass ceilings. But now, women in Ohio have a new problem - glass floors.

A $105 million courthouse opened in Franklin County, Ohio, on Monday, but the builders seemed to have forgotten one thing - the bottom of the stairs, reports affiliate 10TV. The staircase is made of glass.

Dress wearers need to avoid taking the stairs, according to Franklin County Judge Julie Lynch, who wears dresses under her robes almost every day.

"I wear dresses because that's my personal choice," Lynch told 10TV. "When you stand under the stairwell, you can see right up through them.”

She speculates that men, who didn’t take half the population into account, designed the stairs.

Attorney Lori Johnson was startled by the transparent stairs. She worries not only about stares, but also how many cell phones have cameras attached.

“The next thing you know, you’re on the internet,” Johnson said, according to 10TV. “It sounds like a lawsuit in the making.”

While security guards warn women about taking the stairs, it seems most are just hoping people will be mature about the situation.

"They hope people will be mature? That's not a solution," Lynch said to 10TV. "If we had mature people that didn't violate the law, we wouldn't have this building."

Post by:
Filed under: Architecture • Courts • Justice • Ohio
  1. Jazzzzzzzz

YEs I think we all know the "blunder" was not one at all. Come on folks lets just call like we see it. And I'm sure the WIDE eyed men looking up... will.

June 9, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • krusty

i get hard thinking about this place

June 10, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. Katran Miller

I've never heard of thus judge before, but I am a fan. 🙂

June 9, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Archangel

It surprises me the entire article was about the problem when the solution could be done in a few hours. Instead of security warning ladies, hire a painter and frost the underside of the steps, done. Sheesh, somewhere a village is without their...

June 9, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

I agree–it does seem like there's a fairly simple solution to the problem. And honestly, given that it's a busy courthouse, I would think the sight of some guy, standing under the stairs, with his head tilted back, watching women walk up and down, would attract some amount of attention.

June 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barbra

i think a stained glass design should be painted on the underside.

June 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Richard Cheese

$20 says the judge in this story is fugly as sin and no one would want to look up her skirt to begin with.

June 9, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ78

Right because attractive, thin women enjoy being put on display? Think again. It may be your fantasy that pretty women want to flash men on a daily basis but it's not reality.

June 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • profart

Watch the video. She's not. Why would it be relevant? Pretty women don't want to be harassed by peeping toms and peeping tinas, either.

June 9, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • krusty

i would love to look up her skirt...yummmy

June 10, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. steve

Hey, Judge.. Wear underwear then!

June 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. adsssssssssssssss

paint it black

June 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AK

If you've seen one, you've seen them all.....

June 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

For sure!
      lol

June 9, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe W

I believe the line is, if you seen one, you want to see them all

June 9, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jessica

Dear CNN...This is not frontpage news. We have a missing student in Bloomington, Indiana. She was abducted right off the street. You've barely given it coverage. You actually paid someone to write this crap article?

June 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dehcated

A glass staircase in a house of mirrors...in search of secret passages unknown.

June 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mike

Well speaking from a man's perspective (not under the stairs), I can't imagine a professional woman wearing something so "revealing" that they would worry about a 15 second walk up/down a set of stairs. I mean how many actual mini skirts have you ever seen at the court house? And if you did see some they've been worn by some over eater's that shouldn't wear them in the first place and probably have a court date. And if you're worried about someone seeing something, put some panties on and whats the worry? Do you go to a beach in a skirt? NO I didn't think so, get over it, its a contemporary architecture and it looks cool.

June 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ78

If you can't imagine a woman wearing anything that revealing then you've been dating the wrong kind of women and/or haven't had women who have worn the right kind of underwear. I'm sorry but not everyone wears plain, cotton, boring underwear nor should they have to because some idiot put a clear, glass staircase in a courthouse.

June 9, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • profart

Excuse me, but I don't want anyone looking at my boring white panties, even for 15 seconds- far less them taking a photo of said panties to possibly post all over the internet. Would you want someone posting your crotch and underwear on the internet?

June 9, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEB

And from a man's perspective, you don't understand what a violation it is for someone to look up your skirt uninvited. And frankly, if I'm wearing a thong to avoid pantylines under my skirt (which I usually do), I do NOT want strangers to be able to see that. That part of my body is for me and my husband to view, no one else.

Maybe you'd get it if you tried wearing a kilt sometime.

June 9, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • PentecostalTexan

LoLi go to the beach in a skirt. a long one.

June 10, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

What I don't get is, how can you see anything anyways? It's not the steps that are glass, it's the riser. By the time you could see something, they would be directly overhead and the step would block the view. For like 50 years staircases have had an open riser concept. Why is this a problem now?

I wonder if Apple has this problem in all of their stores with all glass staircases??!

June 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kim

Why not just use the paint that turns glass opaque? It seems like it is not the landing but the glass that is perpendicular between the stairs. With the opaque paint the light could shine though but people wouldn't be able to see through the stairs completely.

June 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jf79

Like someone would be caught out in the open staring up women's dresses like that; a little too obvious...

June 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • profart

All it takes it one quick flick of the phone these days. No overt staring required.

June 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe Fubietze

OK, real easy, either spray paint with a obscuring material made specifically for clear glass/plastic or cover with some other material. Almost every paint company makes a glass 'frosting' paint of this type. Dam it, why isn't this fixed yet in an easy, quick manner. Especially instead of the guards 'warning' females. Instead there will be some near-million-dollar-eventual-repair of this mistake. It took more effort and funds to 'report' this 'news' than what a simple repair would cost.

June 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. fs

I bet other countries wish they had your problems.

June 9, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jerome Horowitz

Glass staircase? I'll have to look into that....

June 9, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |