Glass staircase not dress friendly
A glass staircase is causing women to rethink taking the stairs.
June 9th, 2011

Glass staircase not dress friendly

For years, women across America have dealt with glass ceilings. But now, women in Ohio have a new problem - glass floors.

A $105 million courthouse opened in Franklin County, Ohio, on Monday, but the builders seemed to have forgotten one thing - the bottom of the stairs, reports affiliate 10TV. The staircase is made of glass.

Dress wearers need to avoid taking the stairs, according to Franklin County Judge Julie Lynch, who wears dresses under her robes almost every day.

"I wear dresses because that's my personal choice," Lynch told 10TV. "When you stand under the stairwell, you can see right up through them.”

She speculates that men, who didn’t take half the population into account, designed the stairs.

Attorney Lori Johnson was startled by the transparent stairs. She worries not only about stares, but also how many cell phones have cameras attached.

“The next thing you know, you’re on the internet,” Johnson said, according to 10TV. “It sounds like a lawsuit in the making.”

While security guards warn women about taking the stairs, it seems most are just hoping people will be mature about the situation.

"They hope people will be mature? That's not a solution," Lynch said to 10TV. "If we had mature people that didn't violate the law, we wouldn't have this building."

Post by:
Filed under: Architecture • Courts • Justice • Ohio
  1. Erin

From an aesthetic perspective, the stairs look beautiful, but yeah, having some stranger looking up your skirt is not my cup of Earl Grey. Putting some window film on the stairs wouldn't hurt.

June 10, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Alison

Excellent point!

June 10, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • TGR

Excellent point.. and TRUE.

June 10, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat2u

I see England, I see France, I see Julies' underpants. The really big deal would be for those women who don't like to wear under garments.

June 10, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • hingedlwnb

My deal's no big thing.

June 10, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Runmoe

I beg to disagree.........most deals are bigger than you wish to admit.

June 10, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • hingedlwnb

Yes, most deals are bigger than mine. Dammit.

June 10, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. CoolStoryBro

I just find it amazing how this topped the weiner story, i mean im not calling anyone a perv but i just am astounded and baffled by this. Plus that this is news worthy in the first place just bothers me a tad.

June 10, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lauren

These are NOT a new concept. The steps themselves are not transparent. It's the same thing as having stairs without the risers between the steps, which many buildings, new and old, have had without complaints. The only reason people are freaking out now is because the panels are there, but made of glass, instead of the ever-transparent AIR. Honestly, if you're that worried about it, use the elevator that new buildings are required to have by ADA standards.

It would be COMPLETELY different if the actual steps were made of glass or another transparent material.

June 10, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob ibn LG

This is the only intellignet comment here. Good logic!

June 10, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • FT

Uh, if you look closely at the first picture, you can see that the steps themselves are glass as well. They seem to be tinted, but you can indeed see the background through them.

June 10, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • andrew.peter

I totally agree! My old high school had open-air stairs like these, but not made of glass. We never sat around looking up skirts.

June 10, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • andrew.peter

FT: Pause at 0:35 min. The steps are not transparent. They look faux-ceramic.

June 10, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Sara

@FT–Nope, only the risers are clear. You can't see through the actual steps. I promise. I live in Columbus and I've seen the stairs.

June 10, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Lauren

FT- I thought that at first as well, until I watched the video. The video provides many different angles, more than the one image at the top.

June 10, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. IT'SATRAP

Well if woman feel insecure about their 'privacy' then maybe they should at least wear decent clothing when going outside also. No need to show any back fat on a hot summer day, right? Let's no forget about those 'moments' you innocent females have while looking skippy on your party weekends. n_n

June 10, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • D23

What the hell are you talking about? What is categorized as decent clothing? If I wear a skirt or choose to wear a dress (believe it or not, some women do still wear skirts and dresses) I am dressing indecently? And what does back fat have to do with this article? IT'SATRAP, PLEASE, shut your trap!

June 10, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • wwwhat???

this is a courthouse! most female lawyers wear pencil skirt suits that are not revealing and not to mention the female employees at the courthouse that want to look professional for work.

June 10, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. t

and its all females...what about all those guys wearing kilts?

wear underwear, pants, or shut up

June 10, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. duh

put a tint or a wrap on the glass. call your local auto glass company – they can probably do it in a day. probably took longer to write this story than it would to fix this problem.

June 10, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mark

I know right where I'd sit and eat my lunch.

June 10, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. Runmoe

I agree, as a male member of the species, all men are stupid. That's why young women wear skirts so short that when they bend over you can see all the way to next Tuesday. Give ne a break.

June 10, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. IT'SATRAP

Also females, tell those fashion designers that you're insensitive to look like a...what's the word for it...OH YEAH, Lohanish. That's the word-oh though this article contradicts with justice and fashion sense. n_n

June 10, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tim

I think they should hire me to work security there, I'll stand under the stairs and make sure women aren't hiding contraband under their skirts.

June 10, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. Citytreker

This is ridiculous. Open riser stairs have been around since the begining of making stairs. There are open riser stairs in every other building in Chicago public buildings and i'm i know of others around the country. This is not new this is typical. Paranoia, Facebook and mildly educated intern workers in the work force are responsible for creating ignorance like this.

June 10, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tim

Serious question. Would it be illegal to stand and look up at the stairs? Would it be illegal to take a picture? There is no reasonable expectation of privacy there. Please only answer if you know the law. I am not asking if it is morally right or wrong.

June 10, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. Wendy

That's not a glass staircase, it's a staircase with opaque treads and glass risers. And it offers no more opportunity for up-skirt peeping than any open-riser staircase, which are hardly a rarity. Tempest in a teapot, and much ado about nothing. Slow news day in Ohio, is it?

June 10, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |