Salt disappears from Buenos Aires tables
In a push for better health, restaurants like this one in Buenos Aires, Argentina, will no longer feature salt shakers.
June 11th, 2011

Salt disappears from Buenos Aires tables

Guests at restaurants in Argentina's Buenos Aires province must say good-bye to the salt shaker.

In an effort to combat hypertension, which affects some 3.7 million residents in the province - nearly a quarter of the population, the health department reached an agreement with the hotel and restaurant federation to remove salt shakers from the tables at their eateries.

"On average, each Argentinian consumes 13 grams of salt daily, while according to the World Health Organization, you should consume less than five," Health Minister Alejandro Collia said when he announced the change last month.

The measure is not as extreme as it sounds. Salt will be available by request, but only after the patrons have tasted their food.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Argentina • Food • Health
  1. Brian C. Silverman, M.D.

Brilliant! The chefs can still use 2-4 grams of salt in a large bowl of soup...but I can't use a shaker to apply 0.1-0.3 grams of salt to coat the food to make it appear to taste saltier than it really is??? Brilliant move, government!

June 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shane

What?! You comment makes no sense. MD, really???

July 7, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. truthfulster

I hate when liberals try to force everyone to do what they think is right. If every liberal disappeared right now it wouldn't make a damn difference to the world I try to make for myself. Even my doctor thinks he can tell me what I must do in order to stay alive longer. I have three major illness's maybe I don't want to live as long as he would like. Maybe the quality of the years I may have left are more important then how I can live more years.

June 21, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
    • sftommy

I hate it when conservatives try to force what they think is right on the rest of us.
      Pass me the salt before the GOP gives the salt refiners a tax-break with my tax dollars and ups the price on the rest of us non-millionaires!

June 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shane

Why must everything be either liberal or conservative. Shut the hell up about that already. If you want to eat a ton of salt and die sooner, go ahead this LIBERAL could care less. Good riddance.

July 7, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jonathan

I LOVE reading stories where people are FINALLY made to do the right thing by someone smarter than them, which apparently is at least 1/4 of the population. I do agree that some people just don't know what's right and wrong for them and others but we also need to make sure the people making these decisions for us in office, are not part of the 1/4 of the population that don't know the difference in the first place.

June 23, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Shane

I wish the Anthony jurors could've been made to do the right thing. Idiots.

July 7, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Adults should be allowed to decide for themselves what is right for them, not the government, as long as it doesn't directly harm others.

July 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Barrie

This is ultra-liberalism at work–libs decide they know what's best for everyone so they regulate how others must live their lives! If you libs don't believe salt is good for you, then don't use it! Done deal. But you have no right to take away MY salt because of YOUR beliefs. The greatest freedom any of us has is the freedom to be left alone!

June 23, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • jay

shut up, barrie.

why does everyone think in red and blue? who cares. ugh. so annoying. if you want to eat salt on your food, go right ahead. if you want to get upset b/c someone suggests you taste the food ahead of time...and is trying to combat a pandemic...go ahead. it's not a big deal. it's salt. geez, dude. salt. liberal, conservative....it's actually just about salt.

June 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • O2

Barrie, you do realize that this is in Argentina, and your salt is not being taken away right?

June 28, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Shane

@ O2-– LOL!!!!

July 7, 2011 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Poe

Good, i could never remember the proper manners of passing the pepper with the salt, now I don't need to do either!

June 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |