Monday's intriguing people
Dallas Maverick's star Dirk Nowitzki hoists the MVP trophy after his team beat the Miami Heat.
June 13th, 2011

Monday's intriguing people

Dirk Nowitzki

The Dallas Mavericks star overcame illness and injury during the NBA championship series against the Miami Heat and was named MVP of the series after the Mavs beat the Heat in six games.

The 7-foot German has been the face of the franchise for 13 years, but the championship has always eluded him and the Mavs.

Nowitzki and the Mavs lost to the Heat in the 2006 championship series, and as Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports wrote Monday, "He's been the most awkwardly graceful star the sport's ever seen, a testament to a game played far below the rim, and deep within the mind."

David Weprin

The New York assemblyman is pushing for legislation that bans adults from smoking in a car when a child is present.

Four other states have similar legislation, and Weprin told the New York Daily News that the bill won't violate constitutional rights and would be similar to bans on texting when driving and seat belt laws.

Quintin Staten

The 18-year-old graduated from high school last week, just months after leaving his latest foster home and finding himself homeless.  Staten has lived in 28 group homes and attended nine different high schools. With the help of several staffers and teachers at Clover Hill High School in Virginia, Staten is now working with Beating the Odds, a group that helps foster children make the transition to adulthood.

He's being set up with a place to live and tells the Richmond Times-Dispatch, "I want to be an inspiration for someone else."

1. Casey Case

As one person already stated a drowning is an accident. If Caylee did drown why was it necessary to cover her mouth with duct tape? It was interesting to hear on Friday from the woman who called to report the car needing to be towed. When asked if she looked into the car when she was getting the license number what she saw in the car. Her reply was she saw some clothes, etc. and the last thing she named was a blanket. Pictures where shown of what contents were in the front and back seat of the car. Everything was in the car, however, the blanket wasn’t ,perhaps it was on the floor and couldn’t be seen on camera. If I remember correctly Caylee was either wrapped in a blanket or it was found in the bag with her body. Casey Anthony did not show or express any emotions about her daughter being lost or when found dead. She has told so many lies how can anyone believe anything she says. On top of her killing her daughter she is putting the blame on her father. Caylee did love her mother but the question is “Did Casey love her daughter?” Having her freedom by ridding herself of her daughter shows the answer to this quesiton. Casey Anthony only loves herself. I would like to know how a person not having a job has the money to pay for a Nanny? I know she stole her friends checkbook to make purchases at Walmart but it costs money to go clubbing and children have needs. Where did she get all this money?After only a few visits from her family Casey did not want them to visit with her in jail. Casey used the excuse it was because she was being recorded. The day of her trial she turned her mother away. Casey didn’t even want her parents in the trial room. What child with the death sentence pending not want the comfort or help from her parents? As for the tears she sheds are for getting caught. As for the shakin of her head as if indicating no is just part of her acting and lying. Casey has said her father molested her and her brother tried to touch her is just another lie. I was molested by a family member when I was five. Many years later I had a little girl. The one thing I made sure of was never to go to any family function he attended. So why did Casey leave Caylee with George? I believe George and Cindy are in a very difficult situation. They already lost their granddaughter and if Casey is found guility or is set free they still lose their daughter as Casey has shown pure hatred for her parents.

June 13, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. bobcat2u

Yo, Lebron !!!! What's up wjth this ? I thought you went to your new team to win a championship, since you couldn't do it with those losers in Cleveland. Kind of shows you ain't all that, huh ? Choke much ?

June 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Big Game James

Yeah but the Cavs are damn near dead without him. Let it go.

June 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

@ Big Game James Yeah, but they weren't much better with him either.

June 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. countryboy

We are intriguing http://WWW.CDBABY.COM/ALL/NUMONE bye now!

June 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ?

Lebron is a lip flapping, drive-by shooting, crack smoking, knuckle dragging, monkey looking, fried chicken eating, ebonic speaking, property value lowering n!gger.

June 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blkbuthappy4White PPl

from ur tone i can tell ur mom ran off with a blk guy when u was younger and never came bk.. Damn its tru huh? once u go blk u dont go bk lol hahaha "classic"

June 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Is it just me, or does Dirk Nowitzki kind off look like Larry Bird? That's who he reminds me of.
    I'm glad the Mavs won the championship. Good for them.

June 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mad View

Is it just me? He reminds me of the horse off of Hee-Haw television show.

June 14, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Gollum Troll

Yesssss precious... Since I think basketball is a glorified ga ng b ang (not the bloods/crips kind either).. I find it hard to root for a winner. Even when you win you really lose.. Either way both winners and losers need to hit up the clinic. Precious... The ring is just symbolizing marrying the girl after a bunch of guys crawled up in there.. Kim Kardashian... precious

June 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Fraggle Rock

Ever notice that when it's hateful Lebron bashing the slimy troll American public comments in the thousands on CNN but a hooray for Dirk and the Mavs has 8 comments.. lol You people deserve your fate.

June 13, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. banasy

@Fraggle Rock:
    I have no idea what you said.

However, I stand being what I said. I'm glad the Mavs won.

I have no need to bash Mr. James, especially when there are already thousands to do it.
    I just do not, and never did, like The Miami Heat.

June 13, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fraggle Rock

@banasy... Of course you don't understand. You seem to have taken it personally when really you didn't need to say anything, since my statement didn't apply to you. Currently there are 1,300+ comments on the lebron story.. This comment is the 10th here.. Even in loss the "chosen one" is the main attraction... Now the setting is right for the "chosen one's" glorious victory. Lol You'll know what I meant when the fat lady sings for us all one day... This King James character is just a tentacle of Satan.. This same story plays out in all our affairs.. Religion was made ridiculous on purpose to make God look like a doochbag.. The devil has succeeded to some degree, but not with me. We all will have to account for everything including the chosen one king james.. lol It was written..

June 13, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Riff*Raff

Best of luck to Quentin Staten. It sounds like the poor kid is due for a run of good luck. 28 foster homes and 9 high schools had to be a hellish existence. The fact that he graduated with that background is no small feat. I'm glad he found a support system to help him get the tools he needs to have a successful future.

BTW-Dirk Nowitski is not a pretty man. A good ball player, but definitely not attractive. lol

June 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Realdealalleymacbeal

Ahh I get it fragile rock.. Lebron is the fallen angel descended not from heaven but from Ohio.. having a falling out with the head honcho and sent to the fiery heat.... just like the devil had a falling out with god and was sent packing.. clever.. This explains why all these celebs are egocentric megalomaniacs..

June 13, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Casey Case

still looking for my meth

June 13, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Blkbuthappy4White PPl

Lebron is human !! WOW Whoevea knew!! Whiteboyz can still win championships WOW!! whoevea knew!! Im glad mavs won now lil tommy and brandon have a hero to lookup!! Go White Dirk Go lol "Classic

June 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply