June 13th, 2011

U.S. airlines made billions in fees in 2010

U.S. airlines accumulated nearly $5.7 billion in fees in 2010, according to a financial report released Monday by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Airlines collected $3.4 billion from baggage fees and $2.3 billion in reservation change fees, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics report.

Other fees paid by passengers are included in larger categories with other types of revenue for the report.

"Without sustained profitability, airlines cannot add routes, add workers or buy new airplanes, all in the interest of airline customers and the global economy," Air Transport Association spokeswoman Jean Medina said in a statement Monday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Air travel
  1. im so smart

What a croc. .

June 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Airlines are not in business to provide cheap transportation for Everyman.
    There are deals on some fares for advance sales if one is on a budget.
    I don't take my entire wardrobe everywhere I go: I don't need a suit for the beach.
    The airlines in this country haven't been nationalized yet.

June 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. funky bunch

Oh no they made to much $, better make up some new airline tax.

June 13, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

Ya know before you complane about how much they make just stop and think how much if you do any driving at all how much you have spend on fuel now compared to say before obama took office i know for my small buisness my fuel cost has more than tripled but that will change when i can buy a truck thats electric to carry my ladders just like the airlines they can drop their fees when they can buy a electric airplane i just tn be the 1st to fly on it oh thankyou my savior obama

June 13, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • tony

your name should be dumb hoe, Obama has no control over oil prices, blame belongs with OPEC and the way fuel is traded on the marhet, through futures, dumbest thing in the world...

June 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

I fly United they have great peanuts.

June 13, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Next time I hear about the airlines being in trouble, I will definitely scoff and roll my eyes.

June 13, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mmmmm

airlines and banks and cellphone companies make strange bedfellows.

June 13, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gung hoe

Thanks to our president we have high fuel prices so people will runout and buy a electric car maybe when the airlines can buy a electric plane they cnn drop some of .their prices

June 14, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Greg

I think the voices are still getting through the tin foil...

June 14, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. jj

electric planes? my son has one

June 14, 2011 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I hate fooling with carry-on luggage. I almost never take anything onto the plane except a briefcase.
    Sometimes I've helped women move their absurd cabin baggage and shopping junk to the plane's door. Why don't people have more sense?

June 14, 2011 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

"Billion" has become a dirty word in this overly egalitarian society.
    I wish we could take our aspiration to wealth and excellence back to a 1950s mode.
    If we did, our economy would improve.
    BTW, wealth and excellence are linked.
    Also–I don't need any peanuts on a flight.

June 14, 2011 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. Riff*Raff

They are free to earn profits. They are a business. But why do I continue to feel ripped off in the name of poverty? I realize the economy is tough, but $50 for the first bag to get to my destination? I can't even fly without incurring extra charges for my suitcase. Clothes are a necessity for a trip, and one checked bag should be included in my fare. I;m not one of those obnoxious passengers that has 3 carry-ons, and a dog. Why does it cost a small fortune for my ticket and then extra for my things? It's apparently not to cover the cost of jet fuel.

June 14, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. Walrus Mustache

The airlines have it backwards. They should charge for carry-on and checked backage should be free. People dragging all their rediculous carry-on on and off the plane delays flights and it takes for ever to load the plane. Carry-on is a convienience you should have to pay for checked baggage is a nesessity.

June 14, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. David Bryant

I'm a pilot for US Airways. The CEO, Doug Parker meets with the employee groups and he was asked about bag fees. His reasoning was that people go to the internet and buy the cheapest ticket. In order to compete, the fare is getting you from point A to B with your carry-on for that price. If your travel requires the services of a baggage handler, then you pay for it. If you pack light then you pay less. He called it a la carte pricing.

Bag fees are obviously unpopular. I expect that if the backlash continues, the airlines will drop the fees. The ticket prices will rise and everyone will pay the same, even if you pack a carry-on. That's the way they do business and it gives all airline employees who come in contact with the public a black eye.

June 14, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. Walloftruth

I'm not opposed to airlines making a healthy profit. they need to, so they can reinvest in new planes, training, retaining staff through pay raises, etc (I consider my life worth every penny of their untold billions in profit if means keeping the mechanic who worked on the plane happy enough to do a thorough job!).

That said, there's a definite difference between "Healthy" profit and "Obscene" profit. It'd be nice to see some corporate responsibility and self-control here, but I'm sure not counting on it from the suits who run their airlines (or just about any other for-profit business).

June 14, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |