Wednesday's intriguing people
Two men were arrested with swords and a body bag outside singer Joss Stone's home in England, police told BBC.
June 15th, 2011

Wednesday's intriguing people

Joss Stone

Two men have been arrested on suspicion to conspiracy to murder and rob after being arrested near the singer's home in Devon, England, BBC reported. The men were arrested after residents reported a suspicious vehicle in the area, and police told BBC the men had swords, a body bag and plans of Stone's home in their Fiat Punto. It wasn't clear if the singer was home at the time, but Stone said she is "absolutely fine," according to BBC. The 24-year-old Stone is one of the country's wealthiest pop stars. Her first album, 2003's "The Soul Sessions," went multi-platinum when she was a teenager.

Col. Hussein Harmoush

The military veteran who served in Syria’s army for 22 years said he defected because of his country’s brutal crackdown on civilians. Harmoush told Time magazine, "We were told that we were doing this to capture armed gangs, but I didn't see any. I saw soldiers indiscriminately shooting people like they were hunting, burning their fields, cutting down their olive trees. There was no resistance in the towns. I saw people fleeing on foot to the hills who were shot in the back." In a YouTube video in which he flatly casts blame on the country's leader, Harmoush called on Syria's military commanders to protect citizens and property "from the death squads, which are led by (President Bashar Assad) and his regime.”

John Unni

The priest at Boston’s St. Cecilia Church is facing criticism for planning to hold Mass on June 19 to commemorate Gay Pride Month. The archdiocese has delayed the service, saying it gives the impression St. Cecilia’s supports the celebration. Unni told The Boston Globe he is trying to follow Jesus Christ’s example. “All we’re trying to do is welcome a group that has been marginalized,” he said. During a recent church service, the reverend told parishioners they “are welcome here, gay or straight, rich or poor, young or old, black or white. Here, you all can say, ‘I can worship the God who made me as I am.’ ”

1. DUI

Drunk Driving is a big issue!- http://www.westportdui.webs.com

June 15, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Cesar The Chorizo Champ Of Chihuahua

Drinking and driving is a huge issue in Syria.

June 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzzz

Its no big deal. Just drink and drive responsibly.

June 15, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

Swords and a body bag?
    Glad these animals were caught, and Joss Stone is fine.

June 15, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Van der Sloot Rising

Seriously? It would've been hilarious.

June 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ CNN:
    In what denomination is Boston's St. Cecilia Church? John Unni must be the priest mentioned, but it's not absolutely clear.
    Were this a Roman Catholic church, it would be important news. If it's an Episcopal church, I'd not be surprised at all.
    Priests are as different as diamonds and rubies.
    Even an "episcopal" church could be from many denominations.
    In my high-school English classes we had to write more informative journalism to pass English, and if we failed English, we couldn't graduate from high school.

June 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eliott C. McLaughlin

Hi Joey, my apologies. Yes, St. Cecilia's is Roman Catholic. Most Intriguing People usually includes only blurbs about the subjects, so sometimes it's not as informative as our other offerings. Naturally, our full posts and longform journalism on the site is more thorough because the purpose of MIP is to quickly highlight a few newsmakers each day. Didn't mean to leave you in the dark. As always, thanks for reading!

June 15, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

@JIF
    They're aRoman Catholic Church.

June 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Riff*Raff

I googled because I was confused by the use of reverend vs. priest. Sure enough, they are in deed Catholic. It is an invitation to the LGBT community to attend Mass in Boston.
    Out of curiosity, does the Episcopal Church report to an Archdiocese as the Catholics do? I was raised Lutheran, which is a Synod.
    I like when I learn something from an article.

June 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Riff*Raff

@Banasy-how do you keep beating me? You must type faster than I do! Great minds again, lol

June 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

@Riff*Raff:
    Hi.

June 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

@JIF:
    Hi.

June 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. McDonald's

Jazzzzzzzzz. Mam we are sorry but we will not serve you or anyone a hamburger with snot. Please DO NOT call us anymore.

June 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

The Episcopal Church in America, part of the Anglican Communion (with the Church of England), has bishops and a structure similar to the RC Church. Other "episcopal" churches include structures with bishops, such as the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church.
    That an RC church would "condone" anything about gay rights would be unusual. I think that there is a gay movement of Roman Catholics called "Pride," but I may be wrong.
    The Episcopal Church (Anglican) supports gay rights, and this has been the cause of an important disagreement between American Episcopalians and other Anglicans.

June 15, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    Hi yourself.
    ON TOPIC:
    Just what churches need to do is get everybody to hate each other.
    The Episcopal Church has a wonderful stance on the Bible:
    "We take the Bible seriously, but not literally."
    A brilliant Episcopal priest, a woman, told me, "I think that Heaven is here."
    That kind of Church doesn't hurt anybody: even gay people.
    That Church only helps people.

June 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Van der Sloot Rising

Heaven? Here? Hell, maybe. But Heaven? WHHHHEW!

June 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Van der Sloot Rising:
    re: "Heaven," local listing:
    Sometimes, yes. Seriously.

June 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

To Elliott C. McLaughlin:
    Thank you very much for the reply.
    It was possible to deduce from any attention's being given by journalists that the church was Roman, but I asked for clarity anyway.
    Thank you for noticing my post.

June 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eliott C. McLaughlin

Anytime, pal.

June 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cathy

Are for real Ellis or are you just passing time? Do you ever read the articles?

June 16, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |