June 18th, 2011

E Street saxophonist Clarence Clemons dies

[Updated at 10:30 p.m ET] Legendary rock saxophonist Clarence Clemons died Saturday of complications from a stroke, bandmate Bruce Springsteen said. He was 69.

Clemons had played sax in Springsteen's E Street Band off and on since 1972.

"Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage," Springsteen said in a statement.

"His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly 40 years. He was my great friend, my partner and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Music
  1. Patrice Mitsos

This is a sad day. I feel as though a very special part of my youth, and very very frolicking and musical years, have just died a little bit. Clarence, I had the privilege to see you and Bruce in concert three times, and your wonderful sound will definitely be missed by millions. RIP. My heart goes out to all your loved ones.

June 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gerrie Warner

For sure the greatest compliment to The E Street band EVER and forever!! Thanks Clarence! You ARE The BIG man!!

June 19, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mark G

Hey Clarence.we will always have the favorate,,,,,Down In Jungle Land............To the best!!

June 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. East Bay Jay

RIP, Big Man.

June 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. fernace

This is so sad for us, but probably awesome for him! And latah for all that"rest in peace nonsense"! Y'all know he's gonna put some musicians together (Gil Scott-Heron) & Tear it up, in his new home! We'll miss ya BigGuy, Rock On!!

June 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Angela Johnson

The sax will be played beautifully in another place tonight. The big man will be missed....

June 18, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. caig witfill

I'll miss my friend CC, I know him from North Palm Beach and Juno Beach, florida, RIP CC, i'll miss you!!!!

June 18, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Silvia

I remember as a teen listening to The Boss and in love with his saxophone player. He added so much to the music. He will be missed by music lovers everywhere.

June 18, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Donna Wells Osborne

It's a sad day for many of us older music lovers. Growing up with this band and their great story telling combined with the fantastic musicians like CC, was something that isn't around as much now. However, the here after is gained a wonderful musician and man! RIp, Miss you!

June 19, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Ellis' Manager

Bruce Springsteen sucks SOOOO bad.

June 19, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • glenn Miller

I pity you. Someone desperate for attention. May you find a healthy and more meaningful way to get it.

June 19, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Steve

Nice to see so many good people on here tonight sharing their memories. If you saw Clarence playing along with Bruce then you know what it meant. We all have great memories the music and how it deeply touched our lives.

June 19, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. harry

Good bye Big Man your death is a big shock to me,may the good Lord grant your soul a peaceful rest

June 19, 2011 at 3:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

Good morning Steve. Happy Father's Day. E

June 19, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. banasy

My condolences to the family of The Big Man, Clarence Clemons, to Bruce and the E Street Band, and to the millions of fans whose lives his music has touched.

He will be missed by us all.

June 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ***dude***

@glenn miller: what up wit u?

June 19, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply