New York Senate approves same-sex marriage
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo addresses the press and public after signing the state's same-sex marriage bill into law.
June 24th, 2011

New York Senate approves same-sex marriage

[Update 4:52 a.m.] New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the state's marriage equality bill hours after it passed the Republican-controlled Senate on Friday night, making it the sixth state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage. Cuomo signed the bill into law after the legislature cleared the way to legalize same-sex marriage with a 33-29 vote, the first time a state Senate with a Republican majority has approved such a bill.

[Original post 11:21 p.m.] New York legislators cleared the last major hurdle to legalize same-sex marriage Friday when the state Senate followed the Assembly's lead in approving legislation to do so.

Earlier in the day, the Assembly passed a version of the bill that included an amendment about religious institutions. The Friday night vote in the Senate means the legislation's fate is now in the hands of Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who proposed it.

The Senate vote came after lawmakers agreed on an amendment that would help protect religious institutions from potential lawsuits, Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos said.Demonstrators have gathered for days in Albany as state lawmakers pored over the details of the bill, which would help make New York the nation's sixth and largest state to legalize same-sex marriage.

The vote on the marriage measure, which the state Assembly passed June 15, was stalled in part by Republican concerns over protections for religious institutions against the potential for litigation.

Cuomo says the bill would grant same-sex couples equal rights to marry "as well as hundreds of rights, benefits and protections that are currently limited to married couples of the opposite sex."

Currently, five states - Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire - and the District of Columbia grant same-sex marriage licenses.

The passage of same-sex marriage laws faced a daunting history in the New York state legislature.

The Senate rejected a bill to legalize same-sex marriage in 2009 and has blocked the last three attempts by the state's lower house to get the proposed legislation signed into law.

Although New York currently does not grant same-sex marriages, a 2008 appellate court ruling upheld the right of couples to have their same-sex marriages recognized if they are performed elsewhere.

FULL STORY

Filed under: New York • Same-sex marriage
  1. Bribarian

Time for polygamists to get their rights

June 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • george

Time to you shut the hell off, you most be a gay in the closet

June 24, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

They already do, it's in the state of Utah.. Enjoy.

June 24, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. GerbyLuv

as a gay man, my main trial is attempting to remove the fec al matter from my urethra, after a nite of loving,
    any suggestions? Is this why bacteriologists and virologists proclaim "it's an exit, not an entrance" ??

June 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • obamayakyak

a legitimate question

June 24, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

Next time use a condom.

June 24, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • harold

Gerby, I use pipe cleaners, very painful, but better than leaving the stuff in the urethra, which can cause aweful disease of the "unit", drink a lot before cleaning

June 24, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • obamayakyak

I heard all of that was going to be taken care of under Obamacare.

June 24, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chaswell

Don't tell us to use a condom, that is judgementive, not your right, we can put it where and when we want, after all we evolved as animals so we can act like them, I love my dog, dont push your morals on me,, he comes to me, no forced entry

June 24, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

I heard your lobotomy will be covered under it too. Awesome!

June 24, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Madison

Great question... how does your catholic priest take care of it... with the little 'uns?

June 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leah

You know, my straight male friend was just asking me that since he loves having anal intercourse with his girlfriend.

June 25, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

No God.
    There is no God.

June 24, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC

What is, "The fool says in his heart", Alex...

June 24, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • hey

another dope. I forgive you.

June 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tochukwu

God hv mercy on us.gay marriage? Tomorrow it will be marriage to animals,bet me,one day pple will agitate for it.

June 24, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Madison

I can't wait until "pple will agitate for it". Learn to spell, dummy...

June 24, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Monica

If two brothers want to marry, than they can go right ahead. Just because something is legal doesn't mean that it forces everyone to consider it. You all are morons.

June 24, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff T

While your enjoying celebration and victory eating drinking laughing,know this... You've just ratchet up yet again the anger and wrath of Almighty God. Sodom & Gomorrah was wiped off the map for exactly this reason!

June 24, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • hey

what a dope.

June 24, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eli

Sure it is! Look how well the whole "rapture" thing has payed off!

June 24, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Madison

My taco I ate for lunch has more meaning than your "almighty dog, I mean god..." Rapture THIS!

June 24, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leah

Yeah! God just really likes the hockey games in Canada so he's waiting on that! Also, the fall in Massachusetts is really too beautiful to destroy. And South Africa had such a hard time with apartheid that it didn't seem fair to turn them all to dust. Also Vermont, New Hampshire, Iowa, DC, Argentina, Mexico City, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Portugal, and Iceland used their "get out of smiting free card".

June 25, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. hey

I will teach you to love one another

June 24, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Emily

Way to go New York, I am so happy that my friends who are Gay will be able to have the same rights as my husband and I. For all those opposed get over it, no one is hurting you by getting married. Lesbians and Gays are people and all people deserve to sit next to their sick or dying life partner, be able to care for their partner be recognized as that person's family. I'm Christian and as a christian I was taught not to judge, to love everyone. The God I love and hold in my heart has room for everyone. For all those who say this is going to jepordize the sanctidy of marraige your a little late on thinking that, because it already has been jepordized by men and women getting married, then divorced less then a year later, people who marry several times over. Those who think this is going to ruin the family your missing what is ACTUALLY ruining families: divorce, alcoholism, drug addiction, spousal abuse, adultry, anger and hate. Wake up and see what the true problems are not people wanting to love each other and be there for each other.

June 24, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Alex

Our Pledge of Allegiance even says, "Liberty and justice for all." Again, "For all," so why are Americans who aren't marrying the opposite gender receiving the same rights?

Why does it matter what other people do and what gender they like?

It doesn't involve you so why let it bother you? If they're happy shouldn't that be it?

It doesn't involve me so why should I care who they marry?

It's the 21st Century, enough with the bigotry and discrimination for no other reason than they are different from yourselves? Why does it matter. This country really needs to wake up.

June 24, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • ME

All liberties for murderers, rapists, and pedophiles???........................
      Look the definition of the word "marriage" and you'll see that anyone who supports the 'gay agenda' is greatly mistaken about the concept of marriage, you can't corrupt sacred unions that have been going on since ancient times 🙂
      How long has the 'gay agenda' been around?? like 15 years or something?............

June 24, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • JP

Alex, unfortunately it matters alot. When God created the earth everything that has life was connected at some point and nature is our witness. We (mankind) spend time, money and effort trying to protect nature because it effects all indirectly and directly. People affect each other in the same ways. Another point I want to make is that God created man to multiply and subdue the earth. In order to do that, we must intercourse. Man to Man cannot produce another after its kind nor can woman to woman, therefore it leaves our society unfruitful which is against God's purpose. God never intended for man to be with man and woman with woman. Love is God and God is Love and he never changes because He is Truth.

June 25, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kellie

This is sad to see right now. This is pure hatred for another human being, something that God and Jesus preached against. I really wish there was no need to unnecessarily hate people for no reason.

June 24, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • obamayakyak

I agree. The pro-gay crowd is a vicious gang of thugs. Look at the posts tonight. If you disagree with them they attack you in large numbers, spewing hating and vitriol.

June 24, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

Gays have been attacked "forever".. Sounds like you can't deal with what you put out.

June 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JerryLaster

"it's an exit, not an entrance,, and gerbils have rights too"

this paid for by U.N.P.L.U.G. ( a division of PETA )

UNited Protection League for Unconsenting Gerbils

June 24, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • obamayakyak

Yeap. And if my dog licks my face in front of the preacher man who can deny that she is consenting to marriage.

June 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • hey

how long did it take you to think up that gem?

June 24, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Madison

Your "preacher man" would want your dog for OTHER reasons.... YUP...

June 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • WhyNot

I can't believe you took your tongue out of your sisters mouth long enough to type that. Or that you can type. Well done, Jethro!

June 24, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • obamayakyak

I thought gayness and Progressivism was about about peace and love and tolerance and kumbaya. Tonight I have seen nothing but the most filthy, rude, hatefilled posts from pro-gay and Progressives that anyone can imagine.

June 24, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. beachification

Tell your little imaginary friend that things are changing for the better...get along OR get LOST!

June 24, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. hey

did they ever catch that serial killer in ny?

June 24, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JennyKerry

who says its "wrong" to marry another species?? why can you make rules of what CANT be done,, talk about double standards, if the other species isn't willing it will BITE ! and i have a girlfirend whose dog comes to her,, nothing forced, they dont have to be married to be in luv

June 24, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gerbyluv

i'm a gay many, can anyone tell me how to get the fe cal matter out of my urethera after a nite of loving?

June 24, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |