Ahead of the curve: The next 7 days
June 26th, 2011

Ahead of the curve: The next 7 days

Minot, North Dakota, saw the bloated Souris River finally start to crest over the weekend after record water levels flooded thousands of homes. But the worst is yet to come for other North Dakota cities and towns. Here is a look at this and other stories that CNN plans to follow this week:

River cresting in Minot,  but danger remains

Water levels in Minot are expected to stay relatively high, said meteorologist Patrick Ayd of the National Weather Service in Bismarck, North Dakota. The Souris River last week already topped its record high of 1,558 feet above sea level, set in 1881.

Water levels near the Broadway Bridge were still expected to remain around 1,561 feet through Tuesday - well above the record of 1,558 feet - with a slow drop over the coming week.

Shannon Bauer, a public information officer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, described the situation as "touch and go" as crews worked to build a temporary levee in the now-vacant town of Sawyer. "We have not given up," Bauer said.

Michele Bachmann to officially announce 2012 bid

Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minnesota, is expected to officially announce her bid for the Republican nomination Monday in Iowa, the state of her birth.

"I have a distinct advantage there, I think," Bachmann said in an interview broadcast Sunday on Fox News. The 55-year-old Tea Party favorite from Minnesota will kick off a three-state campaign tour in Iowa, then head to New Hampshire and South Carolina.

"What people know about me is I do what I say and I say what I mean," Bachmann said on Fox. "I think people recognize I'm very sincere in what I say," she said.

Colorado Rapids visiting the White House

President Obama will welcome the Colorado Rapids, 2010 Major League Soccer champs, to the White House on Monday. The ceremony will be in conjunction with a soccer clinic for children of military families, which the Rapids will conduct on the South Lawn. Obama will also continue his tradition of honoring teams for their outreach efforts in communities.

NASA preps for final launch of shuttle program

NASA will hold a news conference Tuesday at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida in the run-up to the July 8 final launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis. Commander Chris Ferguson, Pilot Doug Hurley and Mission Specialists Sandra Magnus and Rex Walheim will all be on hand for demonstrations and interviews.

While NASA is rolling out all the stops to make the media and the public as much a part of the experience as they are, it hasn't been all 'Star Wars' jokes and games.

"We've got a complex mission," Ferguson told reporters last week. "We've had a very short training flow, about nine months, and four people. The number of tasks aboard the shuttle haven't changed just because there's four people. So I think what I'm really driving at is that we've been enormously busy."

Sen. Durbin to convene talks on Dream Act

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, a chief sponsor of the Dream Act, is expected to chair a hearing on the controversial bill, which would offer a path to citizenship for some illegal immigrants who entered the United States as children.

Proponents, including President Barack Obama and Democratic leaders, say the legislation would give legal standing to young people brought to the United States who have bettered themselves and served their new country. Opponents claim the bill, formally called the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, is a way to circumvent the Constitution and is a form of amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Tour de France to begin Saturday

When the Tour de France begins Saturday, it will be amid a mass of media, fanfare and a cloud of suspicion as doping allegations continue to dog one of the sport’s stars, three-time Tour champ Alberto Contador.

While Contador was cleared after a failed drug test last year, the sport’s anti-doping agency appealed the decision. The case is set for arbitration August 1-3, about a week after the Tour ends.

Doping accusations have surrounding the Tour in recent years. In May a former teammate of Lance Armstrong said he saw the seven-time Tour de France winner use performance-enhancing drugs before several events, including the Tour. Armstrong denied the accusations.

The grueling 21-stage race covers more than 2,000 miles and lasts more than three weeks.

Post by:
Filed under: Ahead of the curve • Barack Obama • Politics • Sports • U.S.
  1. Jazzzzzzzz

Joey, do you really think that their is any who truly is or has ever been interested in looking out for the American public.. ever? politics to me has always spelled GREED.

June 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Daria Olsen

This movie is gonna be so funny can't wait till it comes out my brother worked on it as a PA

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b6duY1WWC0&w=640&h=360]

June 26, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Primo

Thanks. I prefer my news in advance. Could you add stock market quotes?

June 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

NUKE ISLAM TO TINY PARTICLES...NUKE ISLAM TO TINY PARTICLES...NUKE ISLAM TO TINY PARTICLES.

June 26, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. James Anderson

It's unbelievable the amount of flooding Minot has had. I hope that they can get back on track fast with the aid and organizations that specialize in disaster response like IRG. Good luck to all of you!

June 26, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tim

New fire in New Mexico now affecting Los Alamos.

June 26, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. meee

michele chokes snowflakes. .she is silly

June 26, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ray

Looking forward to coverage of the racist black mob in Peoria randomly attacking whites. Not.

June 27, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. Heath

Why, when professional cycling is reported about in the States by mainstream media, drug scandals have to always be mentioned. The sport has drastically cleaned up its act over the past several years. Its time for media to come out of its drug coma and highlight the grit of the athletes and the magic of the sport. Maybe talk about the fact that there are 4 US based teams in the Tour this year and all have been racing well.

June 27, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Jazzzzzzz,
    I think that greed is good. It's part of the survival instinct.
    Everybody has it.
    Greed isn't just for "stuff."
    It can be for being the most holy, the most powerful, the most giving, most motherly, or for anything.
    I am greedy. I want to get everything I can. Then I'll share some, but I don't want the government to make me share everything.
    It is precisely to get power, greedily, that Robin Hood leaders take money from the rich and give it to the poor. Then the leaders have power and more money than the poor, the way union leaders do.
    All humans are greedy. Some are lions, some are sheep.
    I'm a good man, but I am greedy. I'm fair, too.
    Obama is not working for the people: he says he is, and he helps a lot of people, but he's exercising his survival instinct and working for his own power, glory, and his own "stuff." Don't think he's poor.
    Lenin was not poor. Stalin. Mao. JFK. George Washington.
    Mother Teresa gave up some material things, but she was rich in worldly attention.
    I believe that our nation's economy is the way it is because for about a century (greedy) people have been brainwashed by greedy do-gooders into depending on the government or union organization to get more than they worked for.
    This isn't what people want to hear.
    But when the survival instinct is denied, people die.
    That's what is slowly happening here.
    I haven't addressed the folly of changing human nature.
    All humans are greedy.

June 27, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Most people will never be rich, but under capitalism those average people who try to get rich will get more than they would under communism, which promises the average man a share of the rich workers' produce, but actually takes all of the money for the leaders of the government, as in the finally failed Soviet Union.
    Communists I know always expect humans' survival instincts to be altered or "educated away."
    You can make it against the law for humans to be humans, but then the humans will starve and die.
    A Bachmann knows that she can't offer average people wealth (for votes), so she offers them the delusion of feeling rich in holiness, i.e. superiority to gay people because of the Bible. That way even losers satisfy their greed.

June 27, 2011 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I'm up early.
    I'm going to the gym when it opens at 5:30 AM because I'm greedy to look "better than."
    Then I'll go do HARD work (for myself) to make money because I understand my survival instinct and exercise my greediness.

June 27, 2011 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cosmotologist to the Stars

I predict some of these things will happen.

June 27, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |