June 27th, 2011

Judge blocks Georgia law targeting illegal immigrants

A federal judge in Atlanta, Georgia, has blocked a controversial state law cracking down on illegal immigrants from taking effect until the broader legal issues are resolved.

Monday's order by Judge Thomas Thrash, which CNN has obtained, temporarily prevents enforcement of the law, which would penalize those who transport or harbor illegal immigrants.

The case is Georgia Latino Alliance v. Deal. The law, known as HB 87, was scheduled to go into effect Friday.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • U.S.
  1. The Jackdaw

Hey, I want some rights! How would I go about becoming an illegal immigrant? And do I need to know Spanish?

June 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Heywood Jablome

I'm thinking less DAW and more A$$.

June 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Jackdaw

I dont know what DAW and A$$ are. Are they spanish words and will I have to learn them?

June 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMY LAWLER

illegals come from all over the world, some speak chinese, russian and guess what? english too!. Idiot.

June 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Jackdaw

Wait, there is world beyond the US and Mexico? NO FREEGIN WAY!

June 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Aaron

It's obvious that many of you people don't know how to read.... go read the judge's actual opinion on the case!

And many people (ahem, citizens) of GA disagree with this bill. Fix the immigration problem, but don't turn the country into a fascist state in the process.

June 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Samson

How would you fix the problem?

June 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Buttset

Push 1 for English. All others good bye. This is America .Speak and learn English

June 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • The Jackdaw

This country would need to declare English as its language first. But considering that our government can't even determine who an American is any more, I don’t see that happening.

June 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • jboh

The butt goes well with your buddy Koch stooges a$$

June 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Jackdaw

Considering that the English language holds little value in this country any more, I think I can break a few rules of grammar.

June 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry from Wisconsin

Buttset seems appropriate. Where were you hatched? Unless you are native American, you and all the rest of us came from someplace else. My people spoke German and accented English……was that a bad thing?

June 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Jackdaw

Barry Boy, but they came here legally, didn't they? THAT is my point. Sign the damn guest book when you get here and there is no problem. Insulting the laws of this country upon arrival and then being told by the government that it’s okay is wrong.

June 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Barry from Wisconsin,
      You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if you come from somewhere else. It matters whether or not you want to come here to be a productive, positive person of society and actually CARE about this country. Not pass along to everyone you know to "COME ON OVER-EVERYTHING IS FREE HERE!" This is the a large portion of the illegals mindset. I know, because I have first hand experience with it. How many illegals do you have up there in the great white north, eh?

June 27, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Something to think

I am waiting to become a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder) for the last 9 years. As much as I dislike the thought of illegals getting leniency in the name of humanitarianism, I am worried laws like these could be used by cops on a power trip to harass people like me. Come to think of it, Americans (with a Hispanic heritage) will also be targeted. Everyone might have to start carrying around a passport card to prove citizenship.

The best way to deal with this is to HEAVILY punish people who employ, support, or use services provided by illegal immigrants. And I mean everyone; for even the first offense. From farmers to landscaping companies to the average Joe who stops by the home depot. Setup sting operations and net the employers. These people who use illegal labor are not doing the illegals a favor. They are exploiting them, and denting the local economy.
    Once the illegals see that there are no jobs to be had, they will be forced to either return, or seek a way to legalize themselves.

June 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ahetch

Most of the illegals have already moved on and now the crops in Georgia hare rotting in the fields. Go talk to a farmer. Maybe you could get a job for 6 dollars an hour and bend your back all day.

June 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • john/kc

If they would pay a decent wage, Americans would do the work. If you won't pay a decent wage, then find another occupation other than growing those crops!

June 27, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. EVIL RUFFNUTT

why can we just give texas + arizona back to mexico?

June 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Barry from Wisconsin

Maybe we could run a special sale????

June 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. richard tamor

I am in construction and I don't see why ALL construction projects does noe require ALL sub construction companies to E VERIFY ALL employees. When they do this we are asured EVERYONE working on this job is legal and paying taxes. I have seem jobs for americans lost to people that do not pay taxes and are working illegaly. I know people that can't get a job not because they won't work but because they cannot het a job. I see whole crews that can't speak english, please don't tell me they should be working here and other people sitting at home IF THEY HAVE A HOME LEFT. Let them work but make them pay taxes just like us.

June 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • g.r.r.

exactly. Contractors no longer hire working employees, but it has more to do with allowing 'sub-contractors' being nothing more than illegals. It is killing America.

June 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alex

@EVIL RUFFNUTT: Because that would be to much EGO to let go of. And it's not just texas and arizona, i'ts about half the US. lol..

June 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. g.r.r.

They should have split this bill into 2 parts. The first one should have required ALL businesses to e-verify, no gov. subsidies, etc. The second should have gone after them individually. Had they done this, then the first bill would have gone through, while the second one was delayed. Let this be a lesson to those pushing this.

June 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. g.r.r.

One other thought. We have pro-illegals screaming that this is racists because all of these laws target hispanics. The anti-illegals say that it is not. Yet, I notice that it is only hispanics fighting these bills.

June 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Barry from Wisconsin

I'm certainly not Hispanic, but these racist bills are an abomination. Beware…whatever group you fit into could be next…...

June 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Edgar

It is a skill to know mare than one language, everyone please stop being so arrogant. That's not what this is about. Plus, Spanish is a beautiful language.

June 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • hellmutt

Spanish yes, Spanglish, not so much.

June 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buttset

u suck

June 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry from Wisconsin

Amen, Edgar. I wish more people would have a chance to travel a bit and learn that people are the same almost everywhere. Language differnt….culture different…but most just want to work and have a decent life.

June 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Barry, you're so wrong. I've lived in 3 other countries in my lifetime. My wife is hispanic and now a US citizen. It took her 7+ years to get there, but she did it. We're not all illiterate, uneducated people down here in our little state of Georgia. Again, you need to see how much money illegals are costing us a year. It is not financial feasible to continue to allow this to happen. They will all move north if you don't start paying attention. And it's not all hispanic people, just roughly 75%. There are plenty of other countries breaking the law too. It's just the hispanic illegals making all the noise!!

June 27, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. hans

it is not easy to do it the right legal way, i know people who have waited ten years and some who are still waiting to do it the right way, so for those who claim their parents did it the right way, guess what, your parents got lucky okay.

June 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karl

Hans, your logic holds no water. I would like to have lots of money when I retire. I will, but I will have to work hard for it for many years.. It would be a lot easier for me to rob a bank when I retire and so I wouldn't ave to face all the hardship I'm going through now to save for retirment. However, it's illegal to rob banks so I won't. Are you saying I shouldn't be prosecuted when I rob a bank?

June 27, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TJ

thats what you get from a left wing judge

June 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. The Jackdaw

There is no such thing as an American any more.

June 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. jwmay10

Illegals are here, well, illegally.....why should they be rewarded for flaunting our laws?.....and those of you who say they are here to do work nobody else wants to do, that compoenent was filled many years ago.....now they are helping break the bank in many areas with the demands they place on the social sector......hospital emergency rooms just for one.....

if they are breaking the law by being here, any suggestion that it is immoral or racist to evict that is specious.....playing the race card is a defense of last resort when you have nothing else to bring to the table.....people who applaud this decision must think our laws mean nothing.....

to suggest you support those laws but don't want profiling, or think they can be enforced other ways or who want to give the people who thumbed their noses at our laws amnesty.....you are blowing smoke.....you would not believe the demands illegals have put on the california school system.....fiscally and otherwise.....many of the students parents are illitierate in spanish

June 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jwmay10

and yes i know i misspelled "illiterate" my bad.....

June 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry from Wisconsin

Your grammar and usage is not too hot either…...

June 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • jwmay10

i was typing fast, barry.....i now challenge you to a grammar contest.....now argue with the logic.....naive liberal wonk egghead..... ;) .....

June 27, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry from Wisconsin

Actually I think your typing outran your mind…but that is probably not too difficult.

June 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Alex

@Something to think: Is they keep punishing companies who employ immigrants, then they will have a bigger problem on their hands. These companies will take their businesses elsewhere to another country, then more and more jobs will be lost. It's already happening today. And it's only making things worse. I have seen companies move out of the states due to this. And there is nothing that they will do about it. It's a damn if you do, damn if you don't situation.

June 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply