June 27th, 2011

Judge blocks Georgia law targeting illegal immigrants

A federal judge in Atlanta, Georgia, has blocked a controversial state law cracking down on illegal immigrants from taking effect until the broader legal issues are resolved.

Monday's order by Judge Thomas Thrash, which CNN has obtained, temporarily prevents enforcement of the law, which would penalize those who transport or harbor illegal immigrants.

The case is Georgia Latino Alliance v. Deal. The law, known as HB 87, was scheduled to go into effect Friday.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • U.S.
  1. Livvy

As an AMERICAN CITIZEN and Georgia Resident raised in a Military family I know that this state will use this to target and harass those of Hispanic heritage or anyone tan like myself. I have been 100% against laws such as this in other states and was absolutely disgusted that a law like this would pass in my state. I am so glad that this is not being allowed to be implemented.

June 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Totally agree with you on this one.

June 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buttset

I guess u have never had to go to an ER. and wait while 10 pregnant illegal are ahead of u and wont have to pay 1 penny.

June 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mama Bear

Thank you. But, then again, you were not dipped and dyed in a slavery mentality and probably do have an IQ above room temperature. . .

June 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • MontanaTrace

What should be done that would stop the problem. We hear of all the problems that will be created but maybe someone like yourself can make some positive suggestions. Your diversity and contributions are examples of what made us such a great country. Speak up. I want you solutions. ps Thanks for serving YOUR country (mine too).

June 27, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Resident Alien

I can't agree more.

June 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Atlantan

Buttset, you don't have to pay at an ER either.

June 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Shame on you! Hopefully the this will be overruled soon. Enough of racism imposed by the Latinos on the rest of the country. If you're illegal -> Go Home and don't EVER come back!!! I'm a legal immigrant and am fed up with the special treatment Latinos always get.

June 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Livvy

@Buttset I doubt you have either. I waited in the ER because other Military soldiers where in front of me and had to return to duty so I had to sit with my sprained Ankle. Since I entered the civilian healthcare I have had the luxury of going to nicer hospitals in the Atlanta area thanks to my benefits that I pay for and hardly use.

I honestly could care less about who is in front of me when I'm in pain I just want to get seen. If you have the ability to check everyones status as a citizen while you are in the ER I'm guessing you shouldn't be at the ER. Go take your racist self back home and stop flooding the ER because you got a papercut.

June 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1776

Then you dont understand the law. I dont care what you have done for this country. If you are ok with illegels then you should be deported. illegals are helping destroy this nation.

June 27, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry from Wisconsin

Amen, Livvy!

June 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

As a lifelong resident of Arizona I have seen the consequences of unchecked illegal immigration. Anyone who claims that this piece of legislation or the similar legislation SB1070 is designed to harass Hispanics are either ignorant of the effects of an open border, or they are intentionally convoluting the matter. The fact is this legislation does not really create new laws, but rather allows Americans to enforce laws that are already in place.

June 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Poop Flinger

This law was patterned after the Arizona law that has already stood up to the Supreme Court of the US. This judge is only showing his biased / racist side against Whites and his decision will be reversed shortly.

June 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Livvy

@1776 where am I to be deported too? To the Military base I was born at? Or the country my parents where born which is also part of the United States (look it up, territories are automatic US citizens as well). Just because I think the path to citizenship is all wrong I should be sent someplace else? Sorry it shouldn't take as long as it does to become a citizen.

BTW I said raised in a military family IE my father was who served for 20 years and I was his dependent until I aged out and graduated from College.

June 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scott

That Judge should be removed. That's the issue with passing needed laws. Some dumb Judge steps in and messis it all up.

June 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jwmay10

hey The Truth.....are you serious?.....taking over in 10 years.....you want voter reprisal?.....you want a scared congress?.....keep it up and see what happens.....even 50 years from now there will be more whites than latinos and these kinds of things can unify whites, too....trash-talking morons like you are just what will drive whites to rebel, too......sucka......and remember something else.....second generation immigrants have less kids.....don't plan on any big takeover.....

by the way, the tea party already surpasses in

June 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

See, this is why the world is going to crap. Because of people like you that cannot get passed color and or race. This is why everything you have to know of, is coming cashing down in front of you, and there is nothing you or anyone else will be able to do to stop it. When you learn to get passed this, then maybe there may be salvation. But seeing that in over 50 years you still can't get passed this, then i don't see the falling of a nation come to a halt.

June 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • jwmay10

Alex.....i was responding to The Truth say latinos will take over in 10 years or less, which is just a stupid claim.....that is why i reminded him that whites will not go away the way he wishes.....it seems some people are so rabbit-eared about reacism that they become racist themselves.....and thanks for the lecture.....

things are changing all right,but they won't come crashing down unless we have untended borders and justify illegal immigration from the lower caste of mexico.....and brutal as it may sound, that is what is happening.....fuled by the thought that california, texas, arizona, et al, was stolen from mexico in the first place and so the illegal immigration is justifiable.....any argument to the contrary seems to be an anathma to people like the truth and apparently you.....by the way, i am a democrat.....but we are filled to the brim with illegals.....l.a. is now pretty much a third world city and don't go to a dodger game if you want to root for an opposing team.....

June 27, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

HAHAHA! Sorry there jwmay10. But yep, i agree with you there. Things have to change, and soon.

June 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rm

There has always been a problem with illegal immigration, ask the Native Americans!

June 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Poop Flinger

OH PLEASE get off of it. The so called Native Americans came to this country by land bridge from Asia. They too came here from the Rift Valley exactly the same as your family. And the only reason you claim they have rights is tthat they got here before your family. They were not created here and have no more rights than anyone.

June 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PostHocErgo

The term States Rights means very little these days unless it follows a liberal agenda. When States want to change the legal definition of marriage, everybody cheers. When States want to enforce an existing legal statue and declare illegals have no right to be here, the federal judges block it.

June 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lens

States rights mostly went away when the US became a nation after the Civil War.

June 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Greg in Arkansas

part of the law that was upheld will require many businesses to check the immigration status of new hires.....bet the business that hire illegals didn't see that coming....ha...ha

June 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. scieng

Another liberal judge defending slavery and human trafficing.

June 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MontanaTrace

Vote buying, pure and simple. One day, sooner than we think, we will have given away more than we have. Even the libs will finally realize that being in power of a bankrupt, welfare nation is not where they want to be. Of course, it will then be too late.

June 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hector

All illegal aliens need to be deported, period. Any who harbor them, aid them by housing, employing, and transporting them to this country are also criminals and need to fined and or jailed.
    I am a 3rd generation Texan whose family legally came from Mexico and I totally despise these criminals and all who aid or support them.

June 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mama Bear

And, you too fall within the slavery mentality that hosts an average IQ of room termpature. . . Go figure!!

June 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lens

Hector, you do realize that as a man of Hispanic descent, the people making these laws want YOU gone as well. They don't care how long your family has been here. If you are brown, they want you out. It's called racism.

June 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Hector, i vote to get you and your entire family deported. Ignorance is bliss.... Ohh wait, i am 8th generation Tejan, does that mean i get affected too? Dammit! And i did not make a tipo! Texas used to be called Tejas.

June 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry from Wisconsin

Third generation Texan…is that a badge of honor? The gene pool must have been empty….

June 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Poop Flinger

Thank you Hector, I am proud to call you a fellow citizen. ANd for those who think they know it all, I find almost all legalized citizens believe that all illegals should be deported immediately. They too believe it can and should be done ONLY according to the law.

June 27, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mama Bear

Hmmm. . .sounds like the same tactics that were used during the days of slavery. But, this makes total sense when you realize it is the South and the average IQ of the population there is that of room temperature!!!!!

June 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • TRouble

Your comments are immature and annoying effectively saying "I know you are but what am I?" Grow up!

June 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paging Mr. Herman

Mama Bear... you are an infant.

June 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

ROFL! That was just too funny. I guess her IQ falls even way bellow that of room temp too.. lol..

June 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry from Wisconsin

That is undoubtedly the funniest post in this entire chain of nuttiness!!!!

June 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey gann

room temp.....Is that the best reply you can come up with. All of your comments say the same thing. A little of nothing...

June 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • pacman

@ Mama Bear, you know you are commenting on CNN's website right? The same CNN that was established and still has the HQs in Atlanta, GA. If you rely on your news from a company based in the South where they all have "low IQs" what does that make you?

June 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Freebird1994

I love pudding pops.

June 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. why?

Only those taking advantage of illegal imigration Labor want illegals in this country!

June 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jasin Moridin

The agriculture industry in the entire US is built off of horribly exploiting illegal immigrants. Force them out, and food prices jump to insane levels thanks to the farmers suddenly having to actually pay minimum wage to actual citizens, or more likely, leaving their crops to rot and getting paid subsidies by the government, which come out of rather more important things, like infrastructure or education.

June 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rm

There has always been a problem with illegal immigrants, ask the Native Americans!

June 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sfgiants

than all of us should be deported. the only that really belong here are the Native American did everyone forget this

June 27, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Marvelous, totally marvelous. Something to think about ehh.

June 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |