June 29th, 2011

Rhode Island legislature passes same-sex civil union bill

Less than a week after New York became the nation's sixth state to legalize same-sex marriage, Rhode Island state lawmakers on Wednesday voted in favor of a bill that permits civil unions between gay and lesbian couples.

The measure, which passed the state Senate by a count of 21-16, is widely seen as a compromise intended to provide same-same couples with added rights and benefits, while also preventing an expanded legal definition of marriage.

The legislation, which passed overwhelmingly in the state's lower house on May 19, affords same-sex couples a host of new state tax breaks, health-care benefits and greater ease of inheritance.

Gov. Lincoln Chafee, an independent, is expected to sign the bill into law, according to his spokesman, Michael Trainor. If signed, the law would take effect on July 1, making Rhode Island the fifth state in the country to allow civil unions between same-sex couples.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Rhode Island
  1. jj

more gay crap! i love my country but between all this gay nonsense and anti god stuffi really think its the beginning of the end for the USA. meanwhile the entire world is laughing.

June 29, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • kk2y1b

ya, they are laughing, but it sure as hell didn't start with the fact that we have gays...it's bc they view Americans as sticking their nose into business it doesn't belong, just like it is none of your business who loves who! See you are too worried what other countries think, just like you are too worried about gays...do you see a pattern here? WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF INSTEAD OF WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING, THAT doesn't even impact you.

June 29, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jj

kk2y no its you trying to make straight people conform to your stick it in my rear gay crap. DUH try another angle freak!

June 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob G

No one is asking you to confom. I don't care what you do in your personal life

June 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kaviona

@mommaearth: you are disgusting for even writing that on this page..

June 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

That some people are gay seems to bother some straight people enormously.
    WHY DOESN'T IT BOTHER ME?
    I'm straight.
    WHY DOESN'T IT BOTHER ME?
    I don't have the slightest doubt that I'm straight.
    WHY DOESN'T IT BOTHER ME?
    Think.

June 29, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jj

whats next? the guy next door wants to marry his goat? oh sure its fine. if the goat and the guy love each other then why not right? thats what im hearing here. comes down to this: ITS NASTY!

June 29, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • RIALgal

What a ridiculous comment.

June 29, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob G

What a dumb comparison. The whole beastiality and pedofile analogy doesn't work. This is two consenting adults. Way different than someone who forces themself on a defenseless, non-consenting child or animal.

June 29, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. errrr

@jj: The least of my problems is what two men or women are doing together in their bedroom. 90% of all my stress in life was in dealing with straight people. If the end is near then you can thank all the miserable supposedly normal people for making it this bad.

June 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

For some reason post about people marrying farm animals get through but my well written, thoughtful, curseless post is banned! Suffice to say, yay for gays! It'll be a while before Texas gets here, but my gay friends can marry & have equality(more or less)!!

June 29, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Live and let live.

I'm in total agreement with JIF: I suspect the people who have the biggest problem with this are have some latent desires they do not want to acknowledge.
    Well, done, Rhode Island.

June 29, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sheryl

Oh, dear–goodness me.
    Well, I don't know why anybody would want to get married or even live in Rhode Island, but I will say this about it:
    If you don't keep your gay boys happy, you won't have any chic clothes to wear–like my shoes?–or get the interior-designer discount on your furniture whenever you're feeling blue and want a liitle change...oh. no–they have to be able to get married, if they want to.
    You don't have to go to their weddings–just say the invitation got lost in the mail...or you don't like church, because you're allergic to incense.

June 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, banasy.

June 29, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, fernace.

June 29, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

Hi, Joey.

June 29, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cesar The Chorizo Champ Of Chihuahua

You know who I hate? Performance artists.

June 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

@Cesar:

You never cease to amuse me.
    Thanks for the levity!