Defense rests case in Casey Anthony trial
The defense says George Anthony and daughter Casey tried to cover up Caylee's death. George Anthony denies those claims.
June 30th, 2011

Defense rests case in Casey Anthony trial

Casey Anthony's defense rested its case Thursday without calling her to the stand in the capital murder trial.

Orange County Chief Judge Belvin Perry Jr. questioned her to make sure the decision not to testify was hers, to which she responded, "Yes sir."

Anthony's defense team is trying to discredit the prosecution theory that the Orlando woman rendered her daughter Caylee unconscious with chloroform, duct-taped her mouth and nose, and stored the child's body in her car trunk for a few days before dumping it in the woods.

Caylee was last seen June 16, 2008, although she was not reported missing until 31 days later, on July 15. The little girl's skeletal remains were found in December of the same year near the Anthony home, with duct tape still attached to the mouth portion.

In a bizarre moment caught on tape by a local TV camera and posted on Youtube, an apparent trial spectator, identified as Matthew Bartlett, was found to be in contempt of court after seemingly flipping the bird at prosecutor Jeff Ashton, in violation of a sign posted saying gestures would not be allowed.

"I'm truly sorry for doing this," Bartlett said. "This is something stupid. I'm not sure why I even did it. I just apologize."

He was sentenced to six days in jail and fined $400 plus $223 in court costs, giving him six months to pay the fine. Bartlett was handcuffed and taken to jail by Orange County deputies.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Justice
  1. Trollie McTrollenstein

*cracks his knuckles*

June 30, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Trollie McTrollenstein

They should have used the "Super Late Term Abortion" defense, its slightly more believable, and they may have even gotten the pro choice people behind them.

June 30, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Deadmau5

I'm mad Casey stole my look. Any money she makes off her face I'm taking 10%... George may not have known, but what kind of moron believes their grandchild hasn't been home for more than a week or two is ok?

July 1, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. John

I don't know how a person could look more guilty than Casey Anthony did through this entire trial.

Sure, the lawyers told her to sit still and maintain an expressionless face, but to me it's the face of a woman who killed a child and is rolling the dice and hoping she'll win. Nothing else she can do other than confess.

It's a conniving, treacherous face. You won't see an actress do that look better in any movie. Kind of scary to watch her, actually. Kind of like watching Saddam Hussein on trial or Adolph Eichmann. Let Casey dance at the end of a rope.

July 1, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I have not the faintest doubt that Casey Anthony killed her daughter.
    Any mother would have reported her daughter missing and not lied about it, or reported her accidental drowning.
    Even my parents, who battered me
    violently, would have reported me missing so that they wouldn't get into trouble, and then they would have continued to batter me when I was returned "home."
    Casey Anthony deserves the death penalty for what she did.

July 1, 2011 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sheryl

@ Joey Isotta-Fraschini
    Well, it's all very well and good for you to say that, Joey, but it doesn't mean that she's not a nice person.
    Everybody deserves respect.
    Nobody's better than anybody else.

July 1, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Shut up, Sheryl.
    So much for egalitarianism.

July 1, 2011 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. troll papa

Uh, what did they batter you with joey. Wheat or corn flour?

July 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |