July 1st, 2011

Michigan ban on considering race in college admissions struck down

A divided federal appeals court has struck down Michigan's ban on consideration of race and gender in college admissions.

The issue is likely to renew the national political and legal debate over affirmative action, which the Supreme Court could be poised to resolve in coming months.

The 6th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals on Friday concluded in a 2-1 ruling that the voter-approved ban on "preferential treatment" at state colleges and universities was unconstitutional, and "alters Michigan's political structure by impermissibly burdening racial minorities."

Post by:
Filed under: Civil Rights • Education • Michigan
  1. Burt

What next? Parents of illigitimate kids banned from welfare?

July 1, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. nojustice

The true nature of some white men lies in these posts. Money driven devils. Correct, you are very smart. Smart enough to be the biggest murderers, rapists, and thieves the world has ever known. I remember wallace standing in the doorway of Alabama spouting the same rhetoric I see in posts here. Most of you don't believe in correcting wrongs until some poor minority is involved. Pay your debt to mankind devil. Revelations

July 1, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. nojustice

July 1, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Internet Racists Are Hilarious

Anonymity on here allows ALL of you to bravely start $H!T.. I live in Michigan and I am in school. The universities should choose grades above everything and when all things are equal performance wise the school should keep the percentage the same as the state population's percentage of ethnic makeup. I think everyone should look in the mirror before opening their mouths. All people have blood on their hands, but we all like to pretend we're innocent victims. There has always been expansion and conquest by every race, and the "spoils of war" included taking women, slaves, and land. It's horrific in Africa and that has nothing to do with whites. This planet is really messed up and it wont get better until we all look in the mirror. Nobody will respond to this so please continue to rabble.

July 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • whatesRsuperior

blow me

July 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. blacksareinferior

whites created everything of importance over the last 2000 years
    riceballs eat dogs
    blackies love chicken and watermelon
    ragheads should be shot on the spot
    white power forever

July 1, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jashwua

are yall really gonna sit thier and ask what did Blacks invent really????...lol...okay

July 1, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I think that the writer named Justin just above may be a different Justin from the one I have known on this board.
    Either way, this Justin is full of courage to state his views so honestly.
    I do not believe that there should be any affirmative action at all.
    Our country is already badly educated enough. Only the brightest and most aspiring students should be admitted to our colleges and universities, especially the distinguished ones.
    Race and gender should be unrelated to college admissions. It will work itself out by the most deserving students' being admitted.
    Many of the most brilliant and financially successful people in my field are African-Americans.
    Many or most of them were born poor.
    Not one–not even one–of them got into college because of open admissions.

July 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Functioning Lunatic:
    You are asking questions that are not supposed to be asked, but you are right to ask them.
    I found profound truth in one comment above: "we are taking over the country. If you don't like it, move back to Europe."

July 1, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Functioning Lunatic

I still have not been told where I have to go back to though.

I have asked the Native Americans if they would enjoy living under Mongolian Rule since they migrated across the Alaskan Bridge and therefore need to return to Mongolia and Western Russia since the only true Americans are the Mexicans that were here from South America. But then Anthropology states that they immigrated here from South America ... so I guess it is up to the Buffalo to repopulate North America the way it was supposed to be.

Even Mohawk, Ojibuway, and the Six Nations are Mongolian Descent over the Bridge, so claiming settlement ... we all walk away and return proper rights to the native Mexicans since they are the only ones proved to be the first here.

I will pack my bags as soon as someone tells me the formula for what country is mine with 5 generations of White heritage (and actually one Indian, but it's a family secret). Perhaps we should start to look at modern times instead of punishing those for the past. Just a thought.

July 1, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Functioning Lunatic:
    You don't have to leave, and you could go anywhere you chose if you decided to toss this sociological mess away from you. Nobody should tell you where to go, but your point was well made.
    I can live anywhere in Europe and work easily from many countries there.
    I won't be living when white folks are the pathetic minority they're going to become in the USA.
    I'm glad I lived here during the time that I did.
    I love Rome.

July 1, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. gung hoe

Let me tell you a different kinda story about affirmative action going to high school here in the flint mi area always thought i would have a nice g m job but when it came time for me to apply sorry my skin was the wrong color they had to hire like 10 blacks to 1 white its not that im mad nope i own my own roofing buisness that i would not have if i would have been hired in there but affimative action is not fair anyways you look at it

July 1, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ gung hoe:
    Good for you!
    Affirmative action denied you a job, so you established a business of your own.
    With all the whining that there are no jobs, I continue to post here that one can make his own job.
    You did.
    I did.
    It's good to be the boss, isn't it.

July 2, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. jerk

Affirmative action negates equality by telling a minority they are not good enough to do it on their own.

July 2, 2011 at 3:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

This is a VIT: "very important topic."
    I'm glad to see many writers–Jason, Jeff, jerk, gung hoe, and Functional Lunatic among them–bravely dealing with reality about this sensitive subject, which INCLUDES affirmative action, instead of babbling forth the expected PC lies.
    A nation is not a parcel of land: it is a people.
    If white people move "Out of America" and "Back to Europe" completely, those citizens who remain are going to be very surprised by what will happen to the economy, their jobs, and their government checks.
    That said, I repeat what I wrote here last night: some of the most brilliant and successful people I know are African-Americans.
    Not one of them needed affirmative action to get into college. Most of them were recruited by colleges, as I (a white boy) was.

July 2, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Big Game James

Talk to the young white women. That's who benefits the most.

July 2, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Big Game James

@Functioning Lunatic affirmative action was established for the employers, admissions boards and authority figures that think just like you. Not the "typical" racist but the cerebral one.

July 2, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse | Reply