Around America, a spirited Fourth
In the nation's capital, revelers celebrated the Fourth at the Mall in Washington. Festivities included a parade and fireworks.
July 4th, 2011

Around America, a spirited Fourth

President Barack Obama thanked U.S. service members and their families Monday by hosting them on the South Lawn of the White House for a patriotic cookout and fireworks display.

"After all that you do for our country every day, we wanted to give you guys a chance to get out of uniform, relax and have some fun," Obama said.

And fun was the order of the day as Americans celebrated Independence Day around the nation with flags, fireworks and food.

Monday evening, revelers along the Hudson River readied for the Macy’s annual fireworks show, which usually attracts around 2 million people each year.

In Washington, a display on the National Mall was scheduled to light up the night sky with the Lincoln Memorial as a backdrop.

In key states around the nation, GOP presidential hopefuls for 2012 spent the day meeting with supporters at various events.

Meanwhile, the rest of us settled in for a summer day as, well, American, as apple pie.

The Red

In several drought-stricken regions, local authorities banned fireworks because of the risk of wildfires.

In Mansfield, Texas, residents such as Darnell Cramer had to check in with fire officials before she bought fireworks, according to CNN affiliate KDAF.

"We've talked to the fire marshals out here and they've told us to water every couple of hours for the next 24 hours until we set them off," she  told KDAF.  "We've got two fire hoses on each side.  We've got 50 feet and we've already cleared a pile of land out and dug a hole so they're all contained in a small section."

Fireworks vendors in some parts of Texas said they were in the red because of a recent ban on the sale of fireworks.

"It truly is hard," Dewey Jones told CNN affiliate KHOU. "It’s not just the money. It’s the idea. It’s the idea of government interference just to save a little brown grass along the side of the road," he was quoted as saying.

According to KHOU, Jones said the ban means 650 part-time jobs will be gone and he’ll be out more than $1 million in sales; half of which would have been profit.

In Utah, fireworks were possibly the cause of a wildfire, said a spokeswoman with the Utah Bureau of Land Management.  CNN affiliate KSL reported that authorities Monday were still investigating the cause of the Red Butte blaze that was discovered the day before.

The White

As in snow.

It was big this Fourth in Northern California as several Lake Tahoe ski resorts, among them Squaw, Kirkwood and Apline Meadow, dusted off their ski lifts and welcomed skiers and snowboarders to the slopes.

Higher-than-normal winter precipitation has allowed snowcaps to retain their fleece, as deep as 15 feet in some areas.

"Thanks to Mother Nature we are able to do this," Alpine spokeswoman Rachael Woods told the Sacramento Bee newspaper. "It's such a special, unique way to spend part of your holiday weekend," she was quoted as saying.

The Blue

In St. Louis, Missouri, a Maroon 5 concert and fireworks display were canceled because of rainy weather, according to CNN affiliate KSDK.

recent Marist poll also could give people the blues. It found about a quarter of Americans, mostly young adults, don't know what country the United States declared independence from.

But we won't dog them out too much. There's food to be eaten, music to enjoy, a spirited Fourth in the (fire)works.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • U.S.
  1. chrissy

wow mr sandyk i am sooo sorry 4 your loss my prayers to you and your family. and hello jazz and banasy hope all is well with u both. have so missed chatting with you both. also next time u talk to cesar, phillip and ruffnutt tell em i said hi and miss em

July 4, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

My condolences to your family, Mr. sandyk.
    I am so, so sorry for your loss.
    Please accept my profound sympathy.
    My prayers to you and your family.

July 4, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. popeye

Hey jazzzzzzzz how you been ?

July 4, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jazzzzzzzz

hey chrissy , just read MR K's post. life is over in a split second and there is nothing anyone can do but help that person move on. I cant even swallow right .... I'm in such shock. Talk tomorrow around 7 ny time on first blog, k ?

July 4, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

Fine Popeye and your self ?

July 4, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. popeye

Sorry for your loss Sandyk . I had to bury my dad when I was twenty three and It's was a hard thing to cope with but I believe there's a better place beyond this world of flesh and bones . My deepest condolences to you and yours Sandyk .

July 4, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sandyk

@ thank you Mary and chrissy. she was spunky. people compared her Reba McEntire , red hair green eyed and just inching over 5`. and she didnt back down, her mind could be change but you better be able to back yourself up. i am african american and over 6`she had pale alabastor white skin we were opposite in looks but other than that we were like an Earth Wind and Fire song ~ blended perfectly. please forward my thanks to the others If any of you pray i need to not become full of rage

July 4, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. popeye

Doing good ! I been gone awhile got tired of the trolls .

July 4, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

yeah, it's hard not to but GOd's peace will do you justice for the long haul. I can't express the sorrow enough but I hope knowing that there are ppl out there that care gives you *some* comfort. good night Mr. K and give the kids a hug from all of us.

July 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mallory

So...all of that 'in God we trust' and all was what...hyperbole? Really?

July 4, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jazzzzzzzz

Joey, so glad to see ya and if you don't mind maybe we can catch up tomorrow night on the first blog around 7pm Ny time. I'm beat.

love your sis.

July 4, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. popeye

@ jazzzzzzzz hope to talk to you all in the morn. GOOD night all .

July 4, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Zack

My backyard fireworks display goes haywire....

July 5, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. helenecha

Happy Holiday to Americans! Oh, yeah! I may invite my daughter to go shopping with me today.

July 5, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. popeye

Well Sydney good point but if It's all the same to you I still like in god we trust , one nation under god , so on and so on , but thank-you for the helpful criticism !

July 5, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |