Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case
Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in the summer of 2008.
July 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case

It's the capital murder case that's held our attention this summer. But has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered her daughter? The jury is beginning their deliberations today, and now it's your chance to weigh in. You've gotta watch the most pivotal moments from the defense and prosecution and judge for yourself whether Casey Anthony is guilty or innocent.

Prosecuting Casey Anthony – The state of Florida contends Casey Anthony cared more about partying and having a fun life than being a mother. It's her motive for murder, according to prosecutors. They paint her as a liar trying to live the good life at the expense of her daughter.

Defending Casey Anthony – The defense brought molestation allegations against Casey Anthony's father and brother during the trial. It pointed to George Anthony as the real culprit behind the toddler's death and cover-up. Most importantly, Casey Anthony's defense team relied upon the fact that Caylee Anthony's cause of death is undetermined. It believes that's the real reason there's not enough evidence to convict the Florida mother of murder.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Florida • Gotta Watch • Justice
soundoff (2,539 Responses)
  1. Sal

Susan, that's a very dumb comment! 

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marvin Ferguson

Jose Beaz did an excellent job during closing arguments. I'm tired of hearing bias pro prosecution opinion by Jane Valdez Michell, Nancy Grace, and Villnie Voltaire and other HLN staff. Please keep in mind that the final decision must depend upon if there is any reasonable doubt. The State did not prove that Casey Anthony is guilty beyond reason or doubt. HLN should give equal time to what the Defense is saying about the evidence. The meda broadcaster should stick to broadcasting and not act like lawyers.

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. AustinCop

This is the problem with media sensationalization of cases. We see all kinds of "evidence" of guilt or innocence and it undermines the systems ability to give a fair trial.

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dan

CNN and Nancy Grace tried and convicted this woman long before the case went to trail. Guilty or not its disgusting what ratings based news media and vampire faux-celebrities will exploit for ratings.

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Vicki

Seriously Mary, Casey DID US ALL A FAVOR by murdering HER child? R U a mother? God in heaven, I HOPE NOT!

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Student

Usually these court cases bore me, but this one really caught my attention. Casey Anthony has lied throughout the case repeatedly, which the prosecution picked up on. I don't have children myself, but when my little niece went missing for 20 minutes a few years ago, I was a wreck. I can't even fathom going out with friends partying while your little girl is missing! And for the defense to say Casey was molested, and to use that as an excuse for what she had done...it's ridiculous! Talk about hitting below the belt! To throw your own parents under the bus because you don't want to go to jail...really!
    Another thing I just found disturbing was the excuse that they got frightened after Caylee drowned and tried to get rid of the body...is tape needed for that? Is putting the little girl in a plastic bag in the back of a car for days needed to get rid of the body? If they would have called the authorities, if it really was a drowning, we would definitely not be here today! Little Caylee would be able to rest in peace, and America would be able to focus on the real issues at hand- possible government collapse!
    Caylee, may you rest in peace after this trial is over, and justice is served.

July 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mark

Are you kidding?

July 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nick

You are horrible! Do us a favor and give us one less unwanted heartless woman. Hope you dont have kids.

July 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SusanBarwick

After watching the closing remarks and rebuttal, I do think she will get a charge of 2nd degree murder.

July 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nick

Casey is pure evil. Everytime I see her face, I see hate, anger, a sickness in her which makes her so disgustingly evil. Her eyes, her face, her reactions, when people testified against her she had the most angry face I have ever seen on a person. An innocent person wouldn't lie or be angry that her daughter was missing. Ironically, most innocent people would feel guilt that they're daughter was gone, even if they didn't kill their child, just the fact that your child died makes any parent feel guilty by blaming themselves, makes them think what they did wrong. Casey acts like she did nothing wrong, not one ounce of guilt is in her bones, because she knows what happened and she wants to get away with it.

July 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Larry Harmon

NOT GUILTY too! I believe we should give Casey Athony a medal for being so brave and not letting people get to her. And she shoud get a medal for those 31 days, it took a lot of courage and patience knowing her little girl died. She is a very brave person and the media needs to apologize to her for the way she's been treated. And i believe Jose and her should file suit against Nancy Grace for not being so graceful and just plain mean to them. Shame on your Nancy! No means no.

July 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darbyrat

WOW!

July 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jury

No, I think you should be the god. Idiot!

July 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Student

A medal for partying...are we going to give all murderers one of those for going on with their lives after they take the life of an innocent?

July 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chuck

31 days. end of story

July 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe

What happened to NOT televising these things? Why do I need to know what she did?! How is this any of my business?

July 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jennifer

I don't think she planned to kill her daughter, but I think she put her daughter in situations that were negligent and it was only a matter if time before her actions resulted In her death. I think she is a selfish, self centered little brat that would rather jeopardize the life if her child rather than see her with her parents who she felt her daughter loved more. I don't believe she deserves the death penalty. I feel she should spend the rest of her life in prison thinking about what she did to that little girl and her family. Never able to marry, never able to have more kids. Caylee will never have those hints and neither should she. But death for her shouldn't be an option.

July 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jennifer

Guilty with a capital "G"! Casey's tears have been strictly for Casey and nothing further, she's a wretched excuse for a human being let alone a mother, I'm glad the decision lies within those jurors on behalf of society itself. We're not as blind to her lies and manipulation as her parents. The duct tape, heart residue sticker, blanket from the house, and the icing on the cake, the commemorative tattoo...?? You wont find any better proof of guilt regardless of how it was presented. I hope she hasnt been able to sleep wondering if her life will end over this atrocity...seeing as she so callously sacrificed her daughter for this BELLA VITA...

July 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94