July 5th, 2011

Casey Anthony: What she's facing if jury finds her guilty

Jurors reached a verdict Tuesday in the Casey Anthony murder trial in Orlando, according to court officials. Anthony, 25,  is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee, in 2008. In this high-profile case, there's a lot at stake. For the defendant, the verdict is a matter of life and death.

Anthony is charged with seven counts, including first-degree murder; aggravated manslaughter of a child; aggravated child abuse; and four counts of providing false information to law enforcement. As those following the trial across the country anxiously await the jury's verdict, CNN takes a look at all the charges, what a guilty verdict on each charge would mean and what kind of sentence Anthony could be facing if the jury finds for the prosecution.

If you've been captivated by the trial and want to reconsider the evidence, take a look at key points from the defense and prosecution.

And if it's a bit confusing with so many charges and possible sentences, you can always click over to CNN affiliate WESH-TV in Orlando, which has a handy calculator for figuring out possible total sentences depending on whether Anthony is found not guilty or guilty on each of the charges.

Murder charges

Charge: Capital first-degree murder
What it means:
If found guilty, the jury would indicate it believes Anthony planned the murder.
Possible sentence:
Anthony would face death by lethal injection or life in prison without the possibility of parole if recommended by the jury. The judge could overrule this in the sentencing phase but would be required to write an explanation for his disagreement with the jury.

Charge: Noncapital first-degree murder
What it means:
A guilty verdict on this charge would also mean the jury believed Anthony planned the murder.
Possible sentence
: Anthony would face life in prison with possibility of parole.

Charge: Second-degree murder
What it means:
A guilty verdict on this charge would show the jury did not believe Anthony planned to killed her daughter.
Possible sentence:
Anthony would face 16¾ years to life in prison with possibility of parole.

Charge: Manslaughter
What it means:
If the jury returns a guilty verdict on this charge, it believes Anthony did not mean for her daughter to die as a result of her actions.
Possible
sentence:
Anthony would face up to 15 years in prison.

Other charges

The jury must also deliberate on other charges besides murder:

Charge: Aggravated manslaughter of a child
Possible sentence:
Anthony would face a maximum of 30 years in prison.

Charge: Aggravated child abuse
Possible sentence: Anthony would face a maximum of 30 years in prison.

Charge: Four counts of giving false information to law enforcement regarding a missing person
Possible sentence: Anthony would face up to one year for each count.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Justice
  1. Stephanie

Not Guilty!!!!!!! ...I knew Casey didn't kill her baby girl... Now that leaves the State of Florida to prosecute the RIGHT person for Caylee's murder...Ahemmmm George!

July 5, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naples

If someone kills Casey and just says they didn't do it can they walk too?

July 5, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • anne

Guess Casey can now be released soon, and party down. Maybe she will even get pregnant again!

Just because a jury was stupid enough to find her not guilty, does not mean she is innocent. God help anyone who comes into contact with this dangerous evil woman.

July 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. shai

This is clearly a sympathy verdict. I understand this is our judicial system. But everyone knows that A normal person would never let her child go missing for 30 days without going to the police. If my 10 year old boy is out riding a bike for more than 3 hours I take my car out and look for him in the neighborhood. If I can't find him, I would make it know to the world. She would have been better off admitting guilt and having the weight lifted off her chest and face her punishment then living every day with this guilt. the guilt will catch up with her eventually and drive her insane, unless she is already a sociopath, and truly doesn't care. in that case, you can expect to see her in court someday again.

July 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • cathysdiary

Casey is the devil's daughter!! she will not admit to killing her child! But she did it!!!

July 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Devils advocate

This was the only possible ouytcome. They did not prove her guilt

July 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naples

Ok DA, I would suggest that there has been sufficient evidence provided to confirm that Casey knows exactly how Caylee died. There is then also evidence to prove that she lied about what happened to Caylee. She then lies & makes a claim that George found Caylee drowned in the pool, which there is no evidence to support. Why does someone who we know knows the truth given the benefit of reasonable doubt when she continues to lie about what happened. There is sufficient reason for a conviction right there for me.

July 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Wyte Boi

Now, poor George can kill himself, in Daytona Beach, for real this time.

July 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jen

I cant believe they found her not guilty...this shows how our legal system sucks and people can get away with anything. This chick KILLED her baby girl...she should be dead...this is unbelieveable, Casey deserves death not freedom!

July 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. brenda van cleave

may god forgive these jurors.....the child was missing 2 wks. before family ever reported it...what the hay...somebody was blinded with confusion...i do believe casey was involved with the murder fo this baby....

July 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wyte Boi

God, will be the FINAL Judge, for Casey, her time is coming soon.

July 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmen

one would think that this "God" you speak of would not have let a little girl be born to a monster in the first place

July 5, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • anne

AMEN!!!

July 5, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Trish

After this trial, the OJ trial and the first Phil Spector trial, I have lost all confidence in the American Justice system. I feel a dispair I Have not felt before.

July 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • anne

I feel the same as you. Just the other day the man who killed his wife and mother-in-law in front of his children was found not guilty as well. I have no faith in the justice system, and it disturbs me greatly. I honestly don't feel safe, because the system is not protecting the innocent. They are instead coddling the guilty. People are getting away with murder left and right. What little faith I had left is gone.

July 5, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jason

OMG she was guilty as hell..... what a joke.

July 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carmen

and the boogeylady walks...

July 5, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. anne

I have no faith in the justice system anymore. How anyone could think she is innocent is just crazy. This woman was out partying having a good time immediately after her daughter died. One lie after another, and then just recently they came up with the pool drowning excuse. And she gets away with it!!! Something not right here at all! That evil b**** murdered her little girl, and she walks!!! God help anyone who ever has to come in contact with this woman. I hope she is not able to have more children. What a sad horrible thing. That poor baby was killed by her mother, and justice was not done. I hope that woman is haunted for the rest of her days!!!!

July 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carra

Anne, you said exactly what I emailed my husband earlier today. We were stunned. We have been following this trial from the beginning. Are you kidding me! Casey will never feel guilty and just like she said to her jailmate. . now she can go write a book or run the t.v. circuit because rich and famous. . . I would like to know how the jurors can live with themselves. . I mean really! We will never find out what happened to Caylee and her mother is not required to tell us. . she will just go on t.v. shows and tell more fabulous lies. . I am very sad today. so much for our judicial system. I hope the jurors know Casey is laughing at them right now and probably saying. . "What stupid losers. Even I would have convicted me!" I hope they can sleep at night

July 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dan berg

I am yet to hear an expert to mention the doctrine or theory of jury notification. This is a CLEAR case of JN. That is what I truly believe happened in the OJ case and again, here. When you have a juror that says "I am not God and I will leave it to God to be the judge..", the cause of death is irrelevant. This case then becomes a personal belief rather than evidence and jury instructions. Poor little Caylee..

July 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacob Stephenson

This country needs to boycott any book or movie that comes out about Casey Anthony. What is just as sick as the act of killing her daughter, is getting rich from it too!

July 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan B

Correction to my post...jury nullification not notification., My apology..

July 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Don

this is a joke. It proves that yes a simpathetic juror, should not be qualified as a juror. Follow the facts, the evidence, and all the witneeses ie, detectives. This is a shame. She will get the ridicule of the people. it's not over. she will pay one way or another. I hope she lives a short life in hell for what she has done. No justice for little Caylee and it's a shame! I'm disgusted. STUPID JURORS shouldn't be allowed to make these importnat decisions. If the tables were turned, how would those jurors react. Unbelievable! First the OJ trial, now this! I should move to Florida, you can do whatever you want and get off with a slap to the hand and a possible 4 year conviction. AMAZING!!!

July 5, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Daria Olsen

Evidence didn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b6duY1WWC0&w=640&h=360]