CNN canceling 'In the Arena'; 'AC 360' shifting to 8 p.m.
July 6th, 2011

CNN canceling 'In the Arena'; 'AC 360' shifting to 8 p.m.

CNN canceled "In the Arena," the prime-time CNN talk show hosted by former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, as part of a phased evening lineup shuffle, the network said Wednesday.

Starting August 8, CNN’s flagship news program "Anderson Cooper 360°" will move to Spitzer's 8 p.m. ET slot and will re-air at its current 10 p.m. position.

The shuffle’s second phase begins in the fall with the debut of a general news program with former CNBC anchor Erin Burnett. Her show, announced last month, will begin at 7 p.m. ET, moving “John King USA” to 6 p.m. and the two-hour “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer” to 4 p.m.

Ken Jautz, executive vice president of CNN/U.S., said CNN is talking with Spitzer about an alternative role.

“We thank him and the entire 'In the Arena' team for creating a program that moved many political and economic issues into the national spotlight,” Jautz said.

Spitzer, in a statement released Wednesday, said his show "engaged serious people in conversations about national and global issues in a way that was informative and challenging."

"I believe that we provided diverse and valuable perspectives during the show's tenure. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at CNN," Spitzer said.

“Piers Morgan Tonight” will continue to be shown at 9 p.m. and midnight ET. Burnett’s new show will re-air at 11 p.m. ET.

“The new lineup showcases anchors who are experienced reporters in covering stories that span the globe,” Jautz said. “We created a nightly schedule that brings together the best of CNN’s journalism on a wide range of topics from politics and the economy to global and world events, as well the best newsmaker and celebrity interviews. This line-up ensures viewers access to the best of what CNN has to offer whenever they tune in at night.”

CNN fall schedule (All times Eastern):

– 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.: “American Morning”
– 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: “CNN Newsroom”
– 4 p.m.: “Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer”
– 6 p.m.: “John King, USA”
– 7 p.m.: Erin Burnett
– 8 p.m.: “Anderson Cooper 360°”
– 9 p.m.: “Piers Morgan Tonight”
– 10 p.m.: “AC 360” (re-air)
– 11 p.m.: Erin Burnett (re-air)
– Midnight: “Piers Morgan Tonight” (re-air)

Post by:
Filed under: TV
  1. Pamel

Well, I'm afraid I'm not at all excited about this Erin person. She's actually pretty irritating to listen to. Looks good but sounds clipped and grating. Oh well.

July 12, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Ian Cameron

CNN:
    Why wpould you remove Eliot Spitzer? He's THE best you've got! You indicate you will try an work him into another program. I sure hope so. I looked forward to his 8:00 pm program. He's a great interviewer, goes right to the point.
    I miss him.
    Ian Cameron
    Toronto, ON

July 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sacha colin-volders

I am appalled by your decision. Because of his professional background, his wit, his ability to explain in a concise and clear fashion the most difficult matters, his facility to decipher important matters from futile, hid speed with which he would grap matters and reply to various subjects, Eliot Spitzer made this show so intellectually enriching. I would argue that you chose to cancel the wrong show. Wolf Blitzer is most annoying, his tone is more than boring and reciting news with no analysis has no real purpose, but to get a guy to reach retirement. Quite frankly, I most fed up with his show and with passion switch to another channel. I will alway be amazed to see that intellect seems to disturb CNN. I guess what matters is rating as usual. As for Erin Burnett, sorry to say, but she is most boring. I have watched her show on CNBC and had it not been for her partner, that show was not standing. I guess by now, I will not be wasting my time watching her show. Tks, but no thks

July 20, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • kitty lampp

i agree with all the others Eliot Spitzer was a great you need him back.

August 1, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

II liked In the Arena and Spitzer. I watched it pretty regularly. He was a good host and there were some great interviews and commentaries on the show. Sad to see it go. Oh well. I'll give this new show a try. Maybe it will be popular enough to grab and hold that timeslot. Apparently CNN is having a hell of a time filling it.

July 22, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. tom zipp

taking eliot spitzer off the air is very sad – cnn finaly had an intellectual with insitefull comentary – and the dumped him . going to give us more barbie doll crap !!

July 27, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. virginia

i liked Spitzer. He was intelligent. I don't know about Erin. I think I zoned out on her. And Piers Morgan? Not as bad as Larry King, but a nightly interview show is just too much. Anderson Cooper is the only person who keeps me watching CNN. Take a page from al-Jazeera and start reporting the news instead of promoting personalities.

July 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Grandma

Sure miss Eliot Spitzer! Actually looked forward to his show at 8 pm. His interviews were professional and direct. Will be watching for him to reappear.

July 27, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. dennis siracusa

Eliot Spitzer was my favorite evening show. He is a hard interviewer who hounded his guest until the question was answered. Also, Spitzer has the courage to point out errors of fact. I hope he gets another show.

July 31, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. db

Terrible decision. Spitzer brung intellect and credibility and I looked forward to watching the Arena. The format, tone, and face of CNN has changed since I became a regular viewer 3 years ago...not liking it.

August 1, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Max Ello

Why are they getting rid of Spitzer ??? I think Spitzer was maybe in the wrong time slot. His show was great!!! He is an aggressive interviewer who was not afraid to ask tough questions or speak his mind about the subject which he ACTUALLY knew something about. I have to agree with most of these ppl when they say you guys need to get rid of Morgan and put Spitzer in his slot. Who wants to watch some British dude interviewing Celebutards. WHO CARES!!!! Aren't you guys suppose to be a NEWS network? When P Morgan comes on, that's my cue to change the channel. Hope you guys can bring back Mr. Spitzer back PLEASEEEE...

August 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jerry

Spitzer was really good. Actually brought me back to CNN. Interest in CNN fading already...

August 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. SashaB

I was really disappointed to see the end of the Arena where there was some interesting and robust debate about the issues of the day. What ashame to see it being replaced by Anderson Cooper. AC360 used to be an informative and serious news program but since he has introduced the "Ridiculist" section I feel both he and the program have no gravitas and therefore CNN need more then ever the Arena.

August 29, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. june polzin

now that spitzer is gone, I will probably watch cnn again, he didn't deserve a show of his own!

October 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply