July 7th, 2011

Lightning strikes tree near Caylee Anthony memorial site

Hours after Casey Anthony learned on Thursday that she will leave jail next week, lightning apparently struck a tree next to a makeshift memorial in honor of her slain daughter,  Caylee.

No one saw lightning strike the pine tree on Suburban Drive in Orange County, Florida, where teddy bears and flowers mark the spot where 2-year-old Caylee's remains were found on December 11, 2008.

But long, diagonal strips of exposed wood scarred the tall pine tree, WESH reported, and bits of bark lay scattered across the road.

"It could be a sign from the angels that they aren't happy with what's happened," a visitor to the site told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper. "The rain, the lightning, the storm - it's the heavens indicating they aren't happy."

There are more lightning strikes in Florida per square mile than in any other state, according to weather.com.

A Pinellas County jury acquitted Anthony, 24, of murder and manslaughter charges Tuesday in the death of her daughter. The same jury convicted her of four charges of obstruction of justice for lying to police during the search for Caylee.

Judge Belvin Perry sentenced Anthony to four years in jail - one year for each of her four convictions - but with credit for nearly three years already served and good behavior, her release date was set for Wednesday, July 13, a court spokeswoman said.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime • Weather
soundoff (1,086 Responses)
  1. Cody (D.C.)

This isn't newsworthy.

July 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • TMAN

If it is not newsworthy, how come all you pickles are reading it ??

July 7, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • angel

I know right....don't take the time to comment. Read another article. Or better yet switch to a different news site.

July 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. terry wrist

conspiracy !!!!

July 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

Coincidental that THOR was out in the box office not WEEKS ago...it has to be a conspiracy. Grab your tin foil hats, and break out the Wrenald's Wrap for those without one! HURRY or we're all doomed.

July 7, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • michaelfury

July 7, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. maX

just like god moves in mysterious ways, so does the devil.

July 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

Idiot....you have no comprehension of science, weather, and odds so you make up stories.

July 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fartnocker

I think if there was a god, he's a complete jerk. Fortunately, I don't, believe in that, and nor do a growing number of people who woke up and realized they lived with scientific evidence that has been proven, versus a 2000 year old story. I do, however, believe there was a guy named Jesus who could spin a yarn very well, and get people to calm themselves through his words since they otherwise could not understand what was happening around them. Since then, we've, for the most part, gotten more aware of how things really happen and don't have to invoke mythic beings to explain things any more.

July 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alexander

I thought that we were living in the 21st Century. I was mistaken.

July 7, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fartnocker

I feel your pain.

July 7, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

i second that

July 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jd

stupid religious people!

July 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

AMEN!

July 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • porchiaknows

Stupid people with the initials jd.

July 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • ds

Naw.... atheist's (notice I did not capitalize) are "stupider"....there, add that to the dictionary as a functional word.

July 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

Notice how I don't capitalize god either? I don't need a god to tell me what happened was wrong in every sense. Apparently you do.

July 7, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

Stupid indeed!

July 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. God

Seriously? People believe this type of horse crap still?

July 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • ds

Believe in what? lightening?.. you bet, it strikes all the time.

July 7, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. me

@ Cody (D.C.) Shut up with your newswortyness

July 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark Johnson

With duct tape & bags you threw me away. What more is there to say? Alone in the woods is where I was kept, for six long months & you STILL haven't wept. "Bella vita" that's what your tattoo said. Not a care in the world, while I lay dead. Every night Jesus rocks me to sleep and makes a promise I know he'll keep. "Don't worry, everything will be fine, for in the end vengeance shall be mine!

July 7, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • chingada

Stfu. You are so stupid. Nobody cares.

July 7, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • ds

Awesome Mark.... if Casey just had a conscience.

July 7, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

You had me until you mentioned jebus.

July 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherry

Thank you for writing that. I really liked it. There are a few poems I've read that have moved me and this one joins them. I am so surprised at the poison that come out of some of these peoples posts, although I probably shouldn't be, it fits right in with everything else that has happened since Caylees death, unbelievable and eerily evil.

July 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve harnack

You are one sick puppy!

July 7, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • U-Turn

Jesus?! I drop one of those in the toilet after I eat Taco Bell for dinner or anything else that is highly greasy. That's also what my wife yells when she enters the bathroom after I am done too. 😛

July 8, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
    • LINDA BEAUDOIN

WOW That is very well said Amazing how words can express truth
      God is real and more people need to turn to him and accept that when we reject him we are exposed to the devil deeds
      Some people reject God Some people blame God
      All in all God has given us the choice to love
      It is called FREE WILL
      God never wanted anyone to be forced to turn to him It is up to us to turn ourselves over to Gods will
      Protect children
      Join in the prevention of child abuse check out http://SURVIVORSSPEAKOUT.com
      Global child abuse awareness and prevention advocacy network

July 8, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • LINDA BEAUDOIN

I will post the link again
      JOIN the fight for children rights
      GLOBAL CHILD ABUSE AWARENESS & PREVENTION ADVOCACY NETWORK

July 8, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. really?

I only turn to CNN when I want up-to-date information regarding stuff that is completely irrelevant to anything.

July 7, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mylifemyway

It's a shame Casey wasn't found guilty but this article is silly and became even more ridiculous with the "angels aren't happy". This was not a sign from god... Just weather. The ruling has nothing to do with the common occurrence of lightning in Florida!

July 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fartnocker

You said it all there! Thank you! Nothing more than a tree that got hit by mere coincidence, nothing else. CNN wants to make us get all bent out of shape because something happened. My...what a coincidence. Gilligan and Noah both had a boat...FILM AT 11! CONSPIRACY...time to divide people over nothing. It's lightning people..it hit the same park ranger 9 times...and he blames weather, not god.

July 7, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Grumpster

So surprised someone hasn't claimed that some god or another is responsible for this.

July 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

That is exactly why CNN makes these articles, actually. To check responses and gauge how people react to things in the future in order to steer belief in that direction as needed. It is psychological and more or less what dictates the nature of future articles. People seldom realize news is rarely news. It tends to be distraction.

July 7, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ds

Grumpy..... you're almost correct. God is responsible for "allowing" EVERYthing that happens, happen. Get by it, get past it, it's been happening WAY before your time. Don't forget to smile...:-)

July 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

ds...is that short for dip $ hit? Just saying that people can't seem to understand science, weather, physics and odds, so they have to come on here to babble about mystic beings since they have no other basis for understanding.

July 7, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fartnocker

You're absolutely right....whatever subject can polarize people the most is what they put up here. Maybe we can all just start stupid comments like Atheists and Jesus Freaks can get along, and Republicans and Democrats are equal, and Teabaggers aren't just full of $ hit.

July 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nadia

OMG! Lightning struck a tree! Thank you, CNN, for this breaking news!

July 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

My hamster took a dump...film at 11.

July 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TamayraS

I like that Mark, i agree!! I believe that Jesus and plenty of others love that little girl and she is being taken care of until her grandparents get there. And i believe in Karma, hopefully will happen sooner than later..

July 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark Johnson

All these people throwing off on God, But the first thing they say when something is about to go wrong is OH MY GOD!!!!!! Tell me y'all don,t Where you believe it or not he is coming back count on it. I hope y'all have a change of heart before he does,,,,,,,I still love you people......................

July 7, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fartnocker

Mark...I say Oh my F*ing god...since I think if there was one, he's a complete jerk. Fortunately, I don't, and nor do a growing number of people who woke up and realized they lived with scientific evidence that has been proven, versus a 2000 year old story. I do, however, believe there was a guy named Jesus who could spin a yarn very well, and get people to calm themselves through his words since they otherwise could not understand what was happening around them. Since then, we've, for the most part, gotten more aware of how things really happen and don't have to invoke mythic beings to explain things any more.

July 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • JFWilder

Mark...I just say OH $H1T!

July 7, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jim A.

Nice poem, Mark Johnson. Jesus was all about revenge.

Cody is spot on, this isn't news, this is garbage.

July 7, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fartnocker

Revenge of the nerd.

July 7, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. rosebuds

When I need a good laugh, I know I can always go to cnn and read the comments people leave. Thanks everyone!

July 7, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fartnocker

Rosebuds, you're very welcome. Any time.

July 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |