July 7th, 2011

Lightning strikes tree near Caylee Anthony memorial site

Hours after Casey Anthony learned on Thursday that she will leave jail next week, lightning apparently struck a tree next to a makeshift memorial in honor of her slain daughter,  Caylee.

No one saw lightning strike the pine tree on Suburban Drive in Orange County, Florida, where teddy bears and flowers mark the spot where 2-year-old Caylee's remains were found on December 11, 2008.

But long, diagonal strips of exposed wood scarred the tall pine tree, WESH reported, and bits of bark lay scattered across the road.

"It could be a sign from the angels that they aren't happy with what's happened," a visitor to the site told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper. "The rain, the lightning, the storm - it's the heavens indicating they aren't happy."

There are more lightning strikes in Florida per square mile than in any other state, according to weather.com.

A Pinellas County jury acquitted Anthony, 24, of murder and manslaughter charges Tuesday in the death of her daughter. The same jury convicted her of four charges of obstruction of justice for lying to police during the search for Caylee.

Judge Belvin Perry sentenced Anthony to four years in jail - one year for each of her four convictions - but with credit for nearly three years already served and good behavior, her release date was set for Wednesday, July 13, a court spokeswoman said.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime • Weather
soundoff (1,086 Responses)
  1. Emigdio

Damn! The author stole my remark.

July 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MrBenchMark

Unfortunately many individuals misunderstand what God is and take the Holy Bible out of its context.

July 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Trish

Hey guys, will you visit HelpFaye.ORG a friend of mine is fighting for her life.... Thank you..

July 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Almighty

That wasn't the angels. It was me.
    And I was actually aiming at my boy Zeus. That punk has reflexes like a badger.

July 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Believer

Are white people going to riot in Pier One,and Ikea stores and throw wine and poupoury on the ground?

July 7, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • White People

Maybe tomorrow, I'm kind of busy today.

July 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • andrew

Yeah, because the most effective way for god to send a sign that casey was guilty would be to strike a tree near a makeshift memorial when no one was looking. not, you know, help the jury arrive at the right decision.

July 7, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • andrew

that wasn't directed at you. i don't know how to make a damn post here without replying to someone

July 7, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • white dude

I have to work and pay bills, so no time for me.

July 7, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Callmeishmael

White people: Hey, white folks, you don't speak for all us h*nkies, just so's ya know. Anyway, I do my rioting on Sundays.

July 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • VegasRage

Sure am, got get airline tickets first though.

July 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why Tee

Ehhhhh.. Sunday doesn't work for me. Why don't we all just take a day off work. We can get in a round of golf, go to a gun show, go pick up some riot stuff at an army surplus then meet at a centrally located Pair one?

July 8, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. JAK9295

This has got to be the most r etarded piece of "journalism" I've ever read. I'm appalled this came from CNN. Boohoo, Casey Anthony went free despite what a great deal of bloodthirsty Americans wanted. But oh hey, look! Lightning struck near Caylee's memorial. Gasp! IT MUST BE FROM GOD!!! Grow a brain, everyone.

July 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • davem

lol I know right. 2 years from now no one will even remember this case, yet everyone is so outraged ARGGHHH lets start a lynch mob. Stupid arm chair lawyers on here.

July 7, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • over it

lost all credibility by calling it retarded. Very ignorant for someone requesting that we all grow a brain.

July 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bluebird

To all who "can't believe the Jury" and to all that think Casey did it, BLAH BLAH BLAH:

God showed up for Casey. As an Agnel, Caylee made sure her mom was protected and made sure her mom was protected from the unjust accusations. So did GOD. For those of you who "can't believe it" BELIEVE THAT GOD AND CAYLEE PROTECTED CASEY. That is why it is unbelievable to you. A TRUE MIRACLE.

July 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Your screen name should be "bird brain."

July 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • bluebird

Me
      Oh what the matter me? Can't face the fact that God might be on Casey's side and not the side of the lynch mob? What can't your brain washed mind see any alternative but the crap you have lapped up as truth?

July 7, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Momma_of_Three

I feel bad for Casey Anthony. She will never be able to return to society. If she didn't have a "normal" life before, she sure isn't going to have one now. I hope she gets security for when she is released. Do people really think that threatening her and treating her badly will make them feel better? Will it make the verdict less shocking to the world? Will another murder put their minds at ease? They need to take all of this negativity and channel it into something more appropriate. Shedding more blood isn't the answer. People need to realize that the jury did their job with the evidence provided. Casey is not guilty. Get over it. She hasn't had an easy ride the past few years and it probably isn't looking any better from her view right now either. Threatening to take her life is just needlessly WANTING more bloodshed. Do we really want that? No.

July 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • kmz0212

Could not have said it better myself bluebird. I agree with you 100%. Something did happen to a beautiful innocent little angel, I agree wholeheartedly but accidents happen. If everyone wants to know how she got in the woods why don't they ask George Anthony and maybe just maybe he might feel like telling the truth instead of throwing his daughter underneath the bus. I am sorry that Caylee died but a drowning does not mean murder unless they are going to say next they Casey held her underneath the water so that she could not breathe. Justice is served everyone, it is done and over with, get over yourselves and move onto your own lives and leave not only the Anthony family alone but leave Casey alone for just once.

July 7, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. steveo2504

Too bad obama wasn't climbing the tree when it got hit.

July 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • DF in SC

@steveo2504 – What the hell is wrong with you?

July 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*critic

Why would you say that

July 7, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mmmmm

You guys are crazy to find anything attractive of a women who apparently took late-term abortion concept to the extreme...

July 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bluebird

July 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • I recommend http://truthws.blogspot.com

Oh really? Maybe the devil protected her so he can have more fun with her life? Who knows?
      Regardless, for the truth seek out http://www.truthws.blogspot.com

July 7, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Okay, Bird Brain... you already said that.

July 7, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • davem

I agree with bluebird. You can spin any story you want to fit your needs. 100% of people who drink water die. OMGZ water is bad for you!

Get a life people.

July 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • bluebird

i recommend lawyers on strike dot com. Very interesting and calm logical perspectives on the legal case.

July 7, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Callmeishmael

"It could be a sign from the angels that they aren't happy with what's happened," a visitor to the site told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper. "The rain, the lightning, the storm – it's the heavens indicating they aren't happy. "

Seriously? What f-ing century are we living in?? Christ, Americans are braindead children.

July 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Almighty

Tell me about it, man. I just don't understand why my peeps think I'm angry whenever lightning strikes. Think about it; there are lightning storms AND shining sun going on 24/7 at various locations on the earth. That would mean that I'm both angry and happy at the same time. How is that possible? I may be god and all, but sheesh...

July 7, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vanessa Scalia

you really are a f***ing idiot, aren't you.

July 7, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Momma_of_Three

I thought that America had "banned" God from most public functions. He's not even allowed in schools anymore. But ONE tree gets struck by lightning and everyone's a believer again?

July 7, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. I recommend http://truthws.blogspot.com

Yes. She has inspired a new idea. Caylee's Law. I for one am glad to see that folks want to force parents and/or guardians to report their children missing ASAP. It's the thing to do. Back to Casey though, she appears to be brand new again, with her win. Someday the truth will be told.

July 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • bluebird

Good grief. Did you watch the trial . Caylee wasn't ever missing. That is why Casey did not report her missing. The child died. She died on June 16th both the state and prosecution stipulated to that!

July 7, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sashakika

I c it like this she was found not guilty. Leave her alone only god anf her mom and dad knw what went on and we will never find out what really went on. But everybody getting mad what is that going 2 solve nothing except 4 she is still getting out next week. If she did do it and got away with it god will fix her. this is my opinion and I dont care what anybody say. I just think people should go on about there life cuz there is justice 4 caylee she
    is in heaven with a man that is takn good care of her.

July 7, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. foolishness has a name

how silly this whole thing is. Lightning hit a tree and so angels must be upset. hahahaha

July 7, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The Almighty

See, Thor? What'd I tell you? We should never have played lightning tag anywhere near there. You should listen to me; I know everything, after all.

July 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |