July 7th, 2011

Lightning strikes tree near Caylee Anthony memorial site

Hours after Casey Anthony learned on Thursday that she will leave jail next week, lightning apparently struck a tree next to a makeshift memorial in honor of her slain daughter,  Caylee.

No one saw lightning strike the pine tree on Suburban Drive in Orange County, Florida, where teddy bears and flowers mark the spot where 2-year-old Caylee's remains were found on December 11, 2008.

But long, diagonal strips of exposed wood scarred the tall pine tree, WESH reported, and bits of bark lay scattered across the road.

"It could be a sign from the angels that they aren't happy with what's happened," a visitor to the site told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper. "The rain, the lightning, the storm - it's the heavens indicating they aren't happy."

There are more lightning strikes in Florida per square mile than in any other state, according to weather.com.

A Pinellas County jury acquitted Anthony, 24, of murder and manslaughter charges Tuesday in the death of her daughter. The same jury convicted her of four charges of obstruction of justice for lying to police during the search for Caylee.

Judge Belvin Perry sentenced Anthony to four years in jail - one year for each of her four convictions - but with credit for nearly three years already served and good behavior, her release date was set for Wednesday, July 13, a court spokeswoman said.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime • Weather
soundoff (1,086 Responses)
  1. I live in Tyrone Pennsylvania 

Why wasn't Casey there at that exact moment. Then for sure all of the non believers would believe

July 8, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. pastafarian

here's a great quote that, as far as i'm concerned, says it all...

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

July 8, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nononsense

Casey's ex-fiancé Jesse Grund said he thought the Anthony home was a horrible upbringing, but at age 22, what does he know about how CRAZY her parents had to be after dealing with Casey's lying, stealing, disrespect, laziness, etc. ?!? I feel so sorry for them, I mean stealing money from your rest-home-ridden grandparents?!? That was either Cindy's parents or George's. Jesse walked in AFTER Casey had been conning her parents for a good, long time and he has no idea how stressful and maddening it is when your own flesh and blood treats you like a common criminal would.

July 8, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Vicki

how do you go back to read all the messages?

July 8, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. uriah

All praise the Invisible Pink Unicorn. Blessed be Her Holy Hooves!

July 8, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • pastafarian

how dare you blaspheme His noodly appendages!

July 8, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • IAmThatIAm

On average, lightning strikes the Earth 4 million times per day. This is a random event.

July 8, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. I live in Tyrone Pennsylvania 

It is funny how people believe in ghosts but not of an afterlife. I have never seen a ghost but when my heart was consumed by hatred because of personal issues among other things a evil spirit shook my bedroom closet door, my bedroom door, follwed by the 4 windows....needless to say I was terrified. No person did that. It happened in about 2 seconds with extreme force.

July 8, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Kat

I believe in both!

July 8, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven

Earthquake maybe??

July 8, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • I live in Tyrone Pennsylvania 

Lol sorry steve...not in Pennsylvania.

July 8, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
    • pastafarian

Tyrone? Redneck cesspool of State College? Yeah, I think it was just the new trailers pulling in next door.

July 8, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven

Car back fire? Nearby comet strike? Like Tungusta in Russia.... Just saying bro...aint no ghosts.. Religion created ghosts to scare us into going to church and puttin money in the old pass around...

July 8, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • I live in Tyrone Pennsylvania 

Sorry man Tyrone is 25 miles away from state college. I live on Jefferson ave...search it

July 8, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • CyberSpy

Ummm, earthquakes happen everywhere, even here in Pa. We just had a noticeable earthquake in Phila last month.

July 8, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • pastafarian

yeah, I know where Tyrone is. lol

July 8, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Darren Tebo

@Steven, I don't know. Maybe you tried the wrong church then. Not once does my church ever request a single dime from me! I give because I want to give. When I come to church with nothing because I don't have it at that time, nothing is ever said or done. Try churches that preach the truth and act like real christians and you will see what really living for God is!

July 8, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven

We Are!!!......

July 8, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven

They used reverse psychology on you bro...at the end of the day, you still giving money...

July 8, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
    • pastafarian

Darren: religion has NOTHING to do with truth. it has to do with faith – the exact opposite of any type of TRUTH. It's about fear mongering, power, guilt, corruption, and war. You don't get to just pick and choose the parts of the bible, torah, quran, etc that you like. god put it all in there for a reason now, didn't he??? lol

people people people – THINK!!!

July 8, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Penn State Fan

Tyrone? Wow, I grew up in Claysburg, PA, not too far from Tyrone....but I live in VA now.

July 8, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. od

Lightning strikes near the Caylee Anthony memorial, and here we are...I'm holding my head in embarrassment for the human race.

July 8, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kat

I would not be surprised if that was a sign from God and the Angels that the jury got it wrong but it will be rectified when that horrible, irresponsible, self centered excuse for a mother dies and is judged. I still can't believe the jury found her innocent...they must be the biggest idiots on the planet and I bet they all voted for Obama!

July 8, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven

You lost me at Obama...

July 8, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • stymie

Screw you. Those of us who voted for Obama have nothing to do with the decision of the jury. You might not like the outcome, but the system worked. Unlike the system that allowed Bush to take office, when Gore was actually elected.

July 8, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Deep

Well my thoughts pretty much were the same as you except I thought the jury was likely to be Bush voters. Kat- dont we all associate lack of normal intellect with Dubya rather than the current president.

July 8, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • hmm

It was the last word, Steve. lol

July 8, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Penn State Fan

Kat...basing the other replies to your comment, it looks like you proved your point quite well 🙂

July 8, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. What Is Going On With Our Nation

What is wrong with all these people? Do they not have anything to do? Do they go to Orlando on vacation to visit/stalk an grieving grandparents, their neighborhood, city and state?

How about the other people actually buying teddy bears and toys and leaving them in the jungle. Perhaps lighting is striking them for their adding to hystria of this trial. How about looking into how many children are murdered in this country on a weekly basis? How about bringing toys and stuffed animals to terminally ill children who wait out their final days in hospitals many times alone because their parents riddled their young life with aids and whatever else.

The state did not prove their case to this jury. The attacks on them are absolutely insane. Some moron restaurant owner is refusing service to jurors? Are you kidding me? Stop with this idiocy. It's sickening.

July 8, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
    • cynthia

I agree,whats wrong with all you people?they did not prove she killed Caylee,I "m with the jury THEY did their job,,,That family is so crazy,after hearing the x-boyfriend on how HE SEEN HOW MOM AND DAD treated her,in person I really belive the MOM AND DAD are really a big part of wrong doing,there is more to come about them.Yes she lied,,but think how you might act with everyone asking you qustions and pressing you and your trying to deal with the DEATH of your child,,,plus those parnets,THEY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED<<<<>just wait and SEE WHAT THEY DO NEXT,this is NOT OVER

July 8, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. DrD

Oh pleeease – it's just a storm, no one's try to tell you anything!

Seriously, are we living in the Middle Ages or something?

CNN – you need to set a bar for news, and this is way below anything bar for real news.

July 8, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. I live in Tyrone Pennsylvania 

To be perfectly honest before that happend I did not believe in ghosts at all. I still don't think it was a ghost but a demonic spirit. I was allowing myself to give in to them. Anyway that is my only "encounter".

July 8, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. Darren Tebo

@Pastafarian, God did save that little girl (from a cruel world that was harming her)!

July 8, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • pastafarian

ummm, yeah, ok. lol. maybe she is in a burning vat of lava right now, suffering eternal agony. see? i can just make up random sh!t too 😉

July 8, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Eat shatty

Lightning strikes a tree? This is news? Is this the 13th century?

This is not a sign from God. CNN, you have disappointed me yet again. Pathetic.

July 8, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. Name*satan

i fell from heaven like a lighting strike.

July 8, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sambo

Besides that day over 2000 years ago on Calvary, how many times has lightning struck that area? Seems to me there was a Murdered Victim there that pulls a little more weight than Caylee.

July 8, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |