July 7th, 2011

Lightning strikes tree near Caylee Anthony memorial site

Hours after Casey Anthony learned on Thursday that she will leave jail next week, lightning apparently struck a tree next to a makeshift memorial in honor of her slain daughter,  Caylee.

No one saw lightning strike the pine tree on Suburban Drive in Orange County, Florida, where teddy bears and flowers mark the spot where 2-year-old Caylee's remains were found on December 11, 2008.

But long, diagonal strips of exposed wood scarred the tall pine tree, WESH reported, and bits of bark lay scattered across the road.

"It could be a sign from the angels that they aren't happy with what's happened," a visitor to the site told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper. "The rain, the lightning, the storm - it's the heavens indicating they aren't happy."

There are more lightning strikes in Florida per square mile than in any other state, according to weather.com.

A Pinellas County jury acquitted Anthony, 24, of murder and manslaughter charges Tuesday in the death of her daughter. The same jury convicted her of four charges of obstruction of justice for lying to police during the search for Caylee.

Judge Belvin Perry sentenced Anthony to four years in jail - one year for each of her four convictions - but with credit for nearly three years already served and good behavior, her release date was set for Wednesday, July 13, a court spokeswoman said.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime • Weather
soundoff (1,086 Responses)
  1. uriah

Yeah because people carry on conversations with serpents daily. ...

July 8, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Name*satan

lets keep dancing,all of us together now.

July 8, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. I live in Tyrone, Pennsyvlania

when we die and are set before God he will say why did you not believe in me. Your response will be because there was no proof and he will say look around at all that was created and the proof was right in plain sight.

July 8, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip Porembski

dont tell people not to break the law when you want them to break the law because they need to break the law in order for you to put them in jail and you do put people in jail meaning you do want people to break the law.

July 8, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rose

Hm...karma

July 8, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Dice

CNN shows it's colors publishing such garbage. This is news?

July 8, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. aNobody

I think this article is ridiculous, period.

I think the arguements between believers of God and non believers are also ridiculous.

The fool says in his heart "There is no God"

Leave it at that believers and move on with your night.

Selah

July 8, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • pastafarian

lol, you're funny. The FACT is that there is no reason to believe in any magical omnipotent being. Only a fool would buy into that nonsense.

July 8, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Darren Tebo

Amen! I hope that you have a blessed night as well! I agree with you! Thank you! It is definitely time to move on! However, let's pray for those that don't believe in the hopes that one day, they will find the joy and happiness that God brings to our lives when we believe in him!

July 8, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*lucifer

I agree..

July 8, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gavin Ford

Anyone who thinks that this was anything but a simple, common lightning strike is a myth-believing moron.

July 8, 2011 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. Janet Parks

Today lightning struck a tree at the Caylee memorial sight. Some say it was Caylee angry about verdict......I say she is angry about how hostile everyone has become. She would not want her memory marred by anger and violence. She would like something good to come out of this whole mess. Help a child in need in her name. The child will benifit and you will feel good about yourself. If everyone affected by this case went out and helped one child in need the change would be felt all through the country. Give to toys for tots, donate to a childrens hospital, help the children and families that lost their homes in this springs tornado outbreak. This way Caylee will be remembered with honor and love.

July 8, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. Becca

I do think this whole Anthony family has problems! That is mental problems. They have all lied.As a result they lost this little child. The family had better get in the real world. I also would not trust Casey that she willnot do something to the family also and get away with it now that she knows she can. I also think something had not been right with the jury that they could not see how she lied and no mother would not not report a child missing unless they had done something with or to that child. Something here is just not right.

July 8, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rose

What's up with the fashion show the media keeps going on about?Who cares about Casey's hair and what she's wearing for God's sakes,Caylee has strands on a skull and her body is in pieces unburied.So I don't care what that thing is wearing for the day,thanks....

July 8, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. Darren Tebo

Well, I know the truth and I believe that God is up there watching over us and helping us out! All we need to do is believe in him, do what is right, and obey him. If that is too difficult for some, I really don't know what else to say. I will pray for you either way. I hope that some day, those that don't believe now, will believe. I cannot make up your mind for you, but I certainly can pray for you. I hope that you will find God's joy and happiness in your lives one day. God Bless!

July 8, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
    • pastafarian

don't pray for me. it's a waste of your time and will have no effect on anything. what you "believe" and what the actual truth is have no connection whatsoever. I don't know why it's so hard for you to separate the two and understand that faith and fact are diametrically opposed.

July 8, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. sue

so WHO killed this little girl then?

July 8, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Zach

God will be coming to judge her about her wicked ways

July 8, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. I live in Tyrone, Pennsyvlania

pastafarian....I thought I lost you!!!! where is steve?

July 8, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. I live in Tyrone, Pennsyvlania

pastafarina.....do you believe in karma? I don't

July 8, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |