July 7th, 2011

Lightning strikes tree near Caylee Anthony memorial site

Hours after Casey Anthony learned on Thursday that she will leave jail next week, lightning apparently struck a tree next to a makeshift memorial in honor of her slain daughter,  Caylee.

No one saw lightning strike the pine tree on Suburban Drive in Orange County, Florida, where teddy bears and flowers mark the spot where 2-year-old Caylee's remains were found on December 11, 2008.

But long, diagonal strips of exposed wood scarred the tall pine tree, WESH reported, and bits of bark lay scattered across the road.

"It could be a sign from the angels that they aren't happy with what's happened," a visitor to the site told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper. "The rain, the lightning, the storm - it's the heavens indicating they aren't happy."

There are more lightning strikes in Florida per square mile than in any other state, according to weather.com.

A Pinellas County jury acquitted Anthony, 24, of murder and manslaughter charges Tuesday in the death of her daughter. The same jury convicted her of four charges of obstruction of justice for lying to police during the search for Caylee.

Judge Belvin Perry sentenced Anthony to four years in jail - one year for each of her four convictions - but with credit for nearly three years already served and good behavior, her release date was set for Wednesday, July 13, a court spokeswoman said.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime • Weather
soundoff (1,086 Responses)
  1. jaci

Wring it out for all its worth cnn, what poor soul are you going to destroy next when the sick facination of this case fades?

July 8, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. I live in Tyrone, Pennsyvlania

So pastafarian....since there is no God should we rebel, kill, etc? What is your take on that? Human life doesn't matter anyway right. Do you want placed on life support if need be? Atheists are much more likely to choose extreme forms of life support over "believers" . I wonder why.

July 8, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • pastafarian

first of all, please cite any research or statistics that show atheists choosing extreme forms of life support over deists. thank you.

Secondly, I never said life wasn't precious. I live mine everyday. I do good things for people and treat them the way I like to be treated. I try to touch everyone's life I cross in a positive way. I do this because it's the right thing to do. Deists do it because they are afraid of being punished by god or going to hell or because they think they will somehow be rewarded. Gotta tell you, I'll take my brand of morality over your any day.

July 8, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. mrcubb

People get a life!

July 8, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. carl

In my culture, lightening is a sign of good fortune. So obviously this is an sign that the gods approve of the verdict.

July 8, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lisa

I can not believe how many people are not saved, or at least don't appear to be by the comments they post. Surely you would be able to see the spiritual aspect of the lightning strike. I know lightning does strike everywhere but God allowed it to strike there and be noticed, to where it is being blogged about. Even if it only caused one lost soul to be saved it would be worth it to HIM! EVERYTHING happens for a reason and HE does have the power to have never let Caylee pass, but look at how many people follow this story you never know what could come of it. I can not believe how some of you doubt YOUR CREATOR who is in control of EVERYTHING! Jesus is the way (only way you will enter heaven) The TRUTH (DON'T be decieved by other religions) the LIFE (He died for US) ACCEPT HIM PLEASE! I love you all!

July 8, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • JG

You know those stories were all about ancient man meeting alien visitors, right? Why would GOD need a flaming chariot to ride out of the sky? He wouldn't. . . a spaceship looks a an aweful lot like a flaming chariot from the heavens, though.

July 8, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

seriously? are you bringing religion into this? Yes, this is a strange occurrence, i'll give you that much, but honestly? Are you trying to say that a deity exists? Try proving to me logically that a deity exists and I will be a for sure believer. You can't, no one can. No one can prove without a doubt that a deity exists and that christianity in particular is the true religion. Are you trying to say that your religion is better than other religions? Better than the Jewish, Muslim, Budhist, hindu relgions? If you're going to comment, try being logical here. You can't prove without a reasonable doubt that there's a deity in existence. You can believe it, your friends can believe it, but don't try converting others into believing it. I see the purpose of religion, but when you look at the realities of religion, you have to really examine whether it holds a true purpose in this world. Religion tells you that it's ok to be a lower class citizen because it was "god's" plan, and don't worry about that chopped off arm, it's "god's" plan. Believing in religion keeps the lower class in check and it also creates conflict. Look at how many people died for not believing in Christianity, and how many people have been persecuted for challenging the religion. Is this really the work of god? Can you prove without a reasonable doubt that god's plan was to make everyone a Christian and to kill everyone that isn't. If i remember correctly, there's a passage that says thou shall not kill. So?

July 8, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • BW

Oh Brother. Your delousional. So God allowed this two year old girl to die?

July 8, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

You need mental help.

July 8, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
    • pastafarian

lisa: seriously? how do people like you even function in society?

July 8, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
    • ksmc

WHERE in the Bible does lighting striking have to do with anything?? I am a christian, but NOWHERE is that mentioned....get your facts straight before you post....that looks stupid on the Christians!!

July 8, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. Zach

You Better Confess your sins Casey because God will be the true judge of your crimes

July 8, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

The jury was already the true judge.

July 8, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. z

OMG NO. In other news, rain has hit a cemetary in Oregon, and crickets are chirping in a field on Ohio. How is this news?

July 8, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Casey Anthony

Are you mad at me?

July 8, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. Monica

God's not happy with her either!!!! He's waiting to have his time with her ass!!!! Then he will show her what HELL really is!!!!!!

July 8, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Name: Casey Anthony

Hey guys I am freeeee in 1 week!!!!!!

July 8, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. idea

And there were how many tornados, sunamis, fires, floods, dust, storms. I think that God thinks something is not right in America. And they want to take in God we Trust from our money. I don't think these disasters are just coinsidenses. Oh! and I forgot oil spills and war.

July 8, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. angry jack

what a big load!

July 8, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. idea

Monica, stop trying to play God. Only he knows what is to be done about Caley.

July 8, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

stop pretending there is a god.

July 8, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. Casey Anthony

I fooled 12 dumb donkeys again!!!! That is a personal best for me!!!! Proof?!!!!!! HAHAHA

July 8, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Casey Anthony

I'm richer than you are!!!! Well in a few months.

July 8, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. ksmc

Really!!! So sick of seeing all of this......Okay...., Lighting struck....happens all the time! I have a tree that has been stuck twice!! Does that mean I killed my kids? NOOO ...all 3 are alive and healthy, and a grandson,! Nancy has blown this soo out of the water it is insane!!! She got a verdict of "NOT GUILTY"...whether or not she did, it is over. (And btw, I believe she had something to do with it) but a panel of her peers spoke!!! It is done....right or wrong.....no reason to attack these jurors ( they are NOT stupid, they took the facts that were presented).....they did the job the were supposed to....I watched the whole trail...and even Nancy from 2008...Nancy already condemed her and has been since then.....So sick of the Salem Witch hunt......she will get what she deserves period!!!

July 8, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |