Suspect arrested in San Francisco Picasso theft
July 7th, 2011

Suspect arrested in San Francisco Picasso theft

Police in San Francisco say they have made an arrest in the theft of a $275,000 Picasso drawing from an art gallery this week.

The suspect was identified as Mark Lugo, 30, of New Jersey. He was arrested in Napa, California, police said in a statement.

Around 11:40 a.m. Tuesday, a man entered the Weinstein Gallery, walked straight to the drawing, removed it and walked out, San Francisco police said.

He then entered a cab that appeared to be waiting and drove away.

Police said Lugo was taken into custody at a Napa hotel and the sketch was recovered during a search of the premises where the suspect was arrested.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • California • Crime
  1. Will (a skateboarder)

"This amateur sketch..." lolz

July 7, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip (in opposition to banasyban on issues) he he

The museum is just glad that Picasso didn't draw portraits of missing children. Or did he? (shrug) How many missing children were actually killed or even eaten by a family pet? Dogs, wild game pets, snakes, etc. all have a long history of attacking and even killing their owners from time to time. When was the last time you read a news article about a pet snake swallowing a baby? You read stories of them swallowing everything else. Do snakes really stop short of babies? Not the baby of any breed I know of. If it's alive and it fit's in his mouth, many breeds of pet snakes will eat it) There's just too damn many missing kids. There is no way that pet's can account for the disparity between the number of missing children and the number of art pieces recovered. (duh) But something's up. What? Picasso wasn't even art. get a clue

July 7, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • idiots

Stop smoking crack. Now. We know its you, Charlie. Just stfu. Go get a new goddess.

July 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank ( R-Ohio )

-Excuse me Picasso-
    Drawing looks cheesy. Kinda looks like the scribble of a 4 year old. You could'nt "pay me" to have this twisted junk. 😦

July 7, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. moving on...

A police officer, after having served 7 years with the Colorado Springs Police Department, has been arrested and initially charged with five counts of 'child molestation'... (political jargon for all sorts of disgusting filth whose only words to describe it should never be uttered aloud)..and.after investigating for just two weeks, the number is up to 78. It's time for US citizens of The United States of America to DEMAND that we be DRAFTED into a government sponsored force who track-down and capture every single person who EVER EVER did this to a child, young person, middle-aged person, and ELDERLY PERSONS!!! These sick bas/tardzzz. They're getting away with it! For years!!!! FOR DECADES. Our law-enforcement establishment can no more deal with this than they could invade and occupy Iraq. It's just too big. And that's not even counting our missing children. And pls. do not let your personal opinion of my self interfere with this. Thanks for reading this. (smile) Who would like to draft a sign-up sheet?

July 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Charlie Sheena

I think the sketch is hot. I wanna skull fook her eye socket.

July 7, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

I have a naked drawing of myself and is much better than this one.

July 7, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

When I was slim! Now I'm disgusting. LAO

July 7, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. well because

Anyone who would pay that much for that drawing is just as foolish as the thief. I bet Picasso would think so too! Picasso was a good draftsman, but people were willing to pay big bucks for this "junk" so that is what he did. If you don't know the history of Picasso, you ought to read it, I find it enteresting, but you may not.

July 7, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. HRH banasy

I haven't posted since 4:03.
    That should tell you something.
    I'm glad people like my name.

July 7, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. HRH banasy

@GTG:

*Facepalm*

@banasy Lite:
    Lame.

July 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kim

Too crazy it was accident he didnt mean to steal the picasso.

July 7, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. just a thought

I think whoever would pay $275,000 for this, excuse me, "artwork" is just as foolish as the man who stole it.

July 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. well because

Collecting the insurance may have been the best deal.

July 7, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scottish Mama

I like Monet, not into Pablo meself.

July 7, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pam Stepp

I noticed the $75,000 increase. Also liked HRH,glad it is all taken care of. Thanks for pointing a few things out about the artist and his artwork.

July 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |