Educators warn of negative effects of not teaching cursive in schools
Lauren Sanchez teaches cursive writing to third graders at St. Francis Xavier Elementary School in Burbank, California.
July 8th, 2011

Educators warn of negative effects of not teaching cursive in schools

Handwriting experts and educators worry that Indiana's choice to stop teaching cursive in schools could negatively affect a child's ability to learn.

The Indiana Department of Education joined 39 other states in adopting the Common Core curriculum, an initiative to phase out cursive writing in classrooms in favor of providing students more time to hone digital skills.

But some believe the move could adversely affect children.

"The fluidity of cursive allows, I think, for gains in spelling and a better tie to what they are reading and comprehending through stories and such and through literature," said Paul Sullivan, principal of St. Francis Xavier Elementary School in Burbank, California.

"I think there’s a firmer connection of wiring between the brain’s processes of learning these skills and the actual practice of writing."

Listen to the full interview here:

Listen to more CNN Radio Report podcasts on itunes or subscribe
to podcasts here.

Post by:
Filed under: Education • Indiana
  1. Cesar

I am Cesar. The world is a cursive script, and I am its loop.

July 8, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

I'd would be so awesome if we could write in cursive on our computers, I-Pads, or smart phones (Did I leave anything out?). We could use the same technology that they use @ Wal-Mart when you sign for your credit card.

July 8, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar

Nahhh, it's faster to type and neater too. But we do need cursive.

July 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

for what? credit card signatures?

July 11, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • JFLewis

How can it be needed if few use it other than to sign their name. Face it its on its way out due to lack of use. Resistance is futile.

July 11, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

Why do I feel like Chrissy?

July 8, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. HRH banasy

Hi, Cesar.

Bad idea, Indiana.
    I'm all for teaching our youngsters more digital technology, but cutting cursive is stupid.
    Print your signature here.
    Print your name on checks.
    Print your name on your marriage license.
    Print your name on your will.
    Print your name on your credit slips.

Duh.
    Fail, indiana.
    Just another in a long line of stupid decisions concerning education in Indiana.

July 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Larry L

The world has moved beyond a writing style used for pens. We're electronic now and need those skills.

July 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ben

Next up, everyone goes back to using a X as their signature, my oh my how society has regressed. Sometimes I guess we truly are a prisoner to technology, what a shame, but then again who could ever read doctor's handwriting except for pharmacists.

July 8, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HRH banasy

People still need to know cursive.
    Sure, the didital skills should be taught, but we also have audiobooks; should students not be taught to read?

July 8, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. HRH banasy

*digital*
    God, I'm tired.

July 8, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mslulu

The dumbing down of America.. here's where it starts. How sad. I feel sorry for those kids. All the other kids in America will know how to write cursive but they won't. It will look like another language to them and they won't be able to read it. :(

July 8, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leana

Yes, this will be evident when kids from all over the world gather in one place to have a cursive writing contest, america will fall behind... give me a break, while I'm at it- I'm going to put all the blame on those over paid, under worked POS teachers!

July 12, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff Frank ( R-Ohio)

Prospective Ohio Loan Company:
    Sir, oh sir....Are you the person filling out this loan application
    Applicant:
    Oh why yes, I am. Is there a problem?
    Prospective Ohio Loan Company:
    Well to be more specific sir, if you read carefully, at the top it asks you to print your name. And you did that.
    However at the bottom where you're asked to sign your name, again you printed it.
    Applicant:
    No. See I signed it....J-A-M-E-S J-O-N-E-S
    Prospective Ohio Loan Company:
    I'm sorry Mr. Jones, but my supervisor said I cannot approve credit, unless the application is filled out correctly.
    We're not allowed to suggest solutions to your credit issue. but there's this great little bank over in Indiana that might be able help you out.

July 8, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jo

This is probably one of the dumbest things I have EVER seen....what will they do, sign an X for their signature?

Sounds like the folks in Indiana are just too lazy to teach the children to write properly. They should learn computer and key board skills but not at the cost of learning to write in cursive.

July 8, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

outside of your signature, what do you use cursive for? lol, get with the times...

July 11, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. Queen

Jo:
    Don't blame the people of Indiana, ma'am. We are not lazy, although the asses that make the decisions concerning education may be. If you do not think that the parents aren't up in arms, you're wrong. It's not the parents. It's not the teachers. It's not even the individual school boards. It's the board of Education that's doing this. Not the "folks".
    You sound like a judgemental b!tch who has no clue how any other state works, except her own rarified State. I KNOW that can't be true, because you're not judgemental, are you?

@Jeff Frank:
    Don't be so sure YOUR state won't be next. Ohio generally follows everything Indiana does, politically.
    Yeah, cut MORE educational spending. This is the garbage you get!

July 8, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HRH banasy

Cute, Uncle Arthur.

@jo:
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
    And you couldn't *be* more wrong.

July 8, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. rooney

I think the department of education needs to be looking at why the teaching of one thing has to be stopped in order to make room for something else. Why can't they find a way to fit in more curriculum without obliterating things like cursive writing?

July 8, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |