For sale: Waterfront property; cozy, great views, plenty of light, needs TLC
Bidding stands at $13,000 for the Kenosha North Pierhead Light in Wisconsin.
July 12th, 2011

For sale: Waterfront property; cozy, great views, plenty of light, needs TLC

If you have always wanted the tallest house in your neighborhood, here's your chance.

The federal government is auctioning off three decommissioned lighthouses, and the bids are still pretty low.

As of Tuesday morning, the Kenosha North Pierhead Light in Wisconsin is sitting at $13,000. In Ohio, three bids for the Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Light have risen to $39,500. The bidding ends Wednesday for both.

You have another week to bid on Ohio's Conneaut Harbor West Breakwater Light, which has drawn but one bid for $5,000, possibly because it could not easily be converted into a home or bed and breakfast.

"They're in varying states of repair or disrepair," General Services Administration official John E.B. Smith told The Washington Post. "They're not cheap to maintain."

Also available, but not to individual buyers, are 12 other lighthouses. The General Services Administration is trying to give them away to local governments or qualified agencies to be preserved as historic or educational sites. They are:

• San Pedro's Point Fermin Light, California;
  • Fowey Rocks Light, Florida;
  • Ile aux Galetts Light, Michigan;
  • Port Austin Reef Light, Michigan;
  • Alpena Light, Michigan;
  • Brandywine Shoal Light, New Jersey;
  • Ship John Shoal Light, New Jersey;
  • Miah Maull Shoal Light, New Jersey;
  • Race Rock Light, New York;
  • Orient Point Light, New York;
  • Point Tuna (Punta Tuna) Light, Puerto Rico;
  • Milwaukee Breakwater Lighthouse, Wisconsin.

The lighthouses are outmoded by more modern means of navigation but still have historical value. The U.S. Coast Guard and National Park Service are offering them under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000.

Interested organizations need to submit a letter and complete a stringent application process. If no suitable steward is identified, the lighthouses will be auctioned to the general public, the GSA says.

Post by:
Filed under: Architecture • Auctions
  1. pherz

Honey I'm going to sleep at the light house tonight. Don't miss me.

July 12, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lighthouses....

....rock!

July 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Greenspam

What can u do with a lighthouse anyway?

July 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Clark Griswold

Bend over and I'll show you.

July 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Queen

@just sayin:

*Applause*

July 12, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Clark Griswold...

...needs to take a vacation.

July 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mmmmm

Really.

July 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mmmmm

Okay, honey, I want a lighthouse for my birthday present...

July 12, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mmmmm

...and an island for Christmas.

July 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. just a thought

I'm wondering if the government wants to keep all good stuff an sell the rest. I know about Pt. Fermin in San Pedro. The last time I saw it, about 4 yrs ago, it was decommissioned, but in very good shape, in fact the house was being lived in. I don't know about the other lighhouses that the gov. doesn't want to sell.

July 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. donaldjackson97

Mortgage rates are historically low you can easily refinance these days your mortgage to 3%. It is the best way to save money. Search online for "Refinance 123" they did 3.54% refinance and free analysis of my current mortgage. Learn the refi secrets there.

July 13, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. garmin nuvi 1300

Hello there, You've done an excellent job. I'll definitely digg it and individually recommend to my friends. I'm confident they'll be benefited from this web site.

April 6, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. abroad property investment

Normally I do not read post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice post.

April 20, 2012 at 6:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. deylis

I also caught the news on AOL when I singed in (dialup days) but dismissed it as a freak accident until the second one hit. The afternoon class was called off but spent 15 hours straight glued to the TV watching umpteen repeats of the planes crashing in the towers..As Le Monde said, we were all Americans that day.

April 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Florida real estate broker,Miami fl real estate, miami waterfront homes for sale, homes for sale in miami,MLS Listings

I am extremely inspired together with your writing skills as well as with the layout for your weblog. Is that this a paid subject matter or did you modify it yourself? Anyway stay up the excellent high quality writing, it's uncommon to see a great blog like this one these days..

June 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply